$60k Harley Davidson?!!

I wonder why we don’t see many sport bikes in police departments? Surely they’d come in handy chasing down speeding vehicles?
Not many ... but some police departments have used sport bikes, or other bikes beside Harleys. You must have some other kind of fascination about police bikes ... another measurement of how "good" a bike is? Other countries use pretty much anything besides Harleys for police bikes.

1682098443646.jpeg

1682098472253.png

There ya go ... guess he needs to enter some bike rodeos to get those chicken strips off the tires.

As I said above, I hate getting stuck behind Harleys on these Virginia 2-lane roads. You're lucky if they even take the curve at the posted advisory speed (which is almost always low enough that a 90-year-old woman in her Cadillac Deville won't have a heart attack if she takes it at that speed).

But then again, you have shown quite clearly you cannot use logic and reason on this topic, so in your mind it is not the proof of rider skill but if bike capability.
As shown by the posted YouTube videos, pretty much any bike with a good rider can go through a tight cone course.

The first mistake a Harley owner makes: Buys a Harley in the first place ;)

I'd rather buy several dirt bikes...then have them plated for the street....100x more fun!

I'd rather buy several dirt bikes...then have them plated for the street....100x more fun!
Says the guy who has never ridden, let alone, owned a Harley. It's good to have choices..

I disagree. I’ve test ridden Gold Wings and my HD is way more comfortable for me. When my knees are jammed up against a fairing, that’s not comfortable. Not to mention the heat flowing off those radiators during a hot summer day. It’s no wonder I see more Gold Wings in spring and fall on the road than the middle of the summer.

Performance wise I don’t see any Gold Wings in police motorcycle competitions. That is certainly a level of performance. In fact I’ve never seen a Gold Wing used for police duty.

As for technology, I can’t see buying a touring bike that I’m going to put a ton of miles on only to have to inspect the valve adjustments every 32k. I mean, what century is this? My grandfather used to have to adjust the valves on his Ford Flathead. And it didn’t take 2 hours to remove all the plastic bodywork just to get at the motor 😂

So as you can see, everyone can have different views on what comfort, performance, and technology means to them.

To deem your views are the truth and the standard we should all go by would be disingenuous at the very least 😉

As for your other comment about HD getting more technically advanced over the years because they had to…..well duh, which motorcycle company makes bike now like they did in 1980? Is a new Gold Wing identical to the first year 1974 model? Why did they change it? Maybe because they had to? Your bias is so obvious it’s hilarious.
And yous isn't? LOL!

So you call it "Harley bashing" when someone says they wouldn't own one because compared to other bikes it's low performance, too heavy, ill handling, cost way too much and requires a whole new Pirate wardrobe? Seems more like a sensitive Harley guy (ref South Park clip, lol) getting hurt feelings like a little girl when someone doesn't like the doll dress she put on her doll. 😄
Don't you know there are no legitimate shortcomings with HDs, therefore anything negative said about them is nothing but bashing...don't believe me? Just ask one of their Kool-Aid drinking owners...

This guy explains quite well why Goldwings aren't great for slow speed maneuvering. In short, they're plenty capable, just harder to master. This guy is an ex cop that rode a bike and has a motorcycle school so he sees plenty of motorcycles and skills from regular people. He even mentions that most of these competitions are set up for a Harley wheel base.

Also, other heavyweights that are difficult to master at slow speeds

Last edited:
My old 96 Sportster is still running,,,no leaks, but never did, use 20w50 mobil one oil, useit joy ride thru the mountains of east Tennessee, will cruise still at 7o,80 if you want,,most of the time I ride about 60 ,Im in no hurry..

I have been looking at dual sport bikes , have not ridden dirt bikes since 1970s era, lots of fun though

I always felt Harleys were too highly over rated for having such a primitive engine design just to give it that rumble.. I would never buy one.
How would you know you wouldn’t like it without trying it out? That’s some 6 year old child logic when they say the food is “yucky” without ever trying it.

I’m gonna get one eventually, used of course, since I noticed most Harley owners take really good care of their rides. If I don’t like it, I’ll toss it back into the market and probably not lose any money, cause like them or not, they are still popular.

How would you know you wouldn’t like it without trying it out? That’s some 6 year old child logic when they say the food is “yucky” without ever trying it.

I’m gonna get one eventually, used of course, since I noticed most Harley owners take really good care of their rides. If I don’t like it, I’ll toss it back into the market and probably not lose any money, cause like them or not, they are still popular.
I have no desire to ride a rough running, noisy Harley. They are designed to be that way. Been there, done that. I doubt you know enough about them to even know how they operate.

Back