Got a 2024 Kawasaki KLX300

Did my first gas fill-up, and checked out the "Low Fuel" warning system to see if it works and if there's 0.6 gallon left in the tank when it come on. Note that the Low Fuel warning will trip a bit early if going up or down steep hills, then go back off when back on level ground. I like this feature better than if it gets tripped from a steep hill then stays on from that point forward. So I cruised around close to my gas station and got the low fuel warning to come on level ground right by the gas station, so wiped in and filled up. It took 1.347 gal, so pretty much right on the 0.6 gallon "reserve" when the low fuel warning triggers on level ground. Also got a calculated 67.2 MPG (90.5 mi/1.347 gal). Few photos by the lake.

1694822543973.jpeg

1694822564396.jpeg

Z06-you probably know about the Kawi neutral finder... but in case you don't, here is some info. This works only when the bike is stopped, and Kawasaki appears to be the only major manufacturer using this feature. Kawasaki Positive Neutral Finder
Interesting. Haven't had a problem finding neutral, but maybe that feature is why. The transmission on this bike shifts really well, haven't missed one shift yet in 130 miles. The clutch has pretty decent modulation too.

Last edited:
Your old ZX-11 should've had the Positive Neutral Finder, my ZX-11D and ZX-12R did. It's been a Kawi thing it seems like forever.

Interesting. Haven't had a problem finding neutral, but maybe that feature is why. The transmission on this bike shifts really well, haven't missed one shift yet in 130 miles. The clutch has pretty decent modulation too.
Sounds like a well-made bike and nice to ride.
Shifting up from 1st while stopped should *never* give you 2nd gear, that's the main function of neutral finder.
The WR450F is nearly impossible to find neutral anytime the engine is running... stopped or moving or anywhere in between. Can be pretty annoying sometimes LOL.

Nice bike! I think you will enjoy it. I have looked at them myself and think that it would be a nice fun bike. My last dual sport was a 2007 KTM EXC 450, and it was a lot of fun. My only complaint on any of the newer dual sports is the narrow seat. My butt got tired of it way before I had to worry about running out of gas. lol. I had a few of the 70’s Yamaha enduros, and back then the seats were a little wider and easier on your rear for longer rides. Anyway enjoy your new bike, and it looks like a lot of fun.

Sounds like a well-made bike and nice to ride. Shifting up from 1st while stopped should *never* give you 2nd gear, that's the main function of neutral finder.
Tested it out, and the neutral finder feature does undeed work on the KLX300.

Congrats! Looks like a nice bike.

I've had several DS bikes over the years (KLR650, XR650, DR650) and loved riding them.
DS riding is great fun; the exploration doesn't stop when the pavement does.

Still breaking it in, and have now started going up to 7000 RPM with some full throttle action while going through the gears - redline is 10,500. Kept it mostly to 5000 RPM max for the first 150 miles. I don't go over 6000 RPM (~60 MPH in 6th gear) if cruising steady. I can tell the engine is freeing up some. It got 67.2 mpg the first tank of gas, and 72.2 mpg on the 2nd tank while running the engine somewhat higher and harder than the first tank. Noticed the idle speed has increased slightly too, indicating the engine is freeing up.

Last edited:
I've been looking at the KLX300 for a couple of years. Sold a bike I hardly ever rode anymore, so decided to sell it and get dual-sport bike. I've had a few non-street legal dirt bikes, but never a dual-sport. Decided to go traditional Kawasaki Green instead of the "Battle Gray" or "Cypher Camo Gray" colors ... they has too much black & gray for me. Also, with the green machine, it's much more visible which could be a good thing. They changed the body work (looks better IMO), went with black rims on the Green, and went with an LED headlight for 2024. The suspension feels pretty good right out of the box (it's adjustable too), and has 10.0 inches of travel up front (see last photo) and 9.1 inches of travel in the rear. The KLX300 of this design has been out since the 2021 model year, so any issues since then should be worked out, but from what I've read this bike has always been pretty trouble-free. A few photos ... I have a whole 88 miles so far (got it yesterday) and doing some break-in riding on the back roads. Transmission shift nice, haven't missed on gear yet, lol. Once broken in, it will be able to do 70-75 mph on the highway without getting crazy high in RPM if needed.

View attachment 177907

View attachment 177908

View attachment 177909

View attachment 177910
I have a 2020 klx 230 wish i would have gotten the 300 but I got from private sale and its what the guy had and price and milage were to good to pass up so I have this bike for about 2 years and love have about 5k miles on it and its just bullet proof always starts always dependable I ride both trails and street with it more street and just love it I also have a 2011 triumph t100 so I havent been riding the klx as much as before but again always starts always runs great and is just a great 2 nd bike when i just want to zip around or explore some
IMG_4093.jpeg
trails Ohh by the way Kawasaki Green is the only way to go!!!!!

The tires look pretty aggressive for a dual-sport bike, but on the twisty back roads they work really good. Can't even tell they are "knobby" when on pavement. If you look at the last photo in post #1, you can see the wear marks are down to about 1/4 inch from the outer edge on the outside knobs from cornering/leaning, and when that far over on pavement it still feels planted, I think Kawasaki did a good job specifying a decent dual use tire.
Very nice bike.

What tires are those that came with it?

Very nice bike.

What tires are those that came with it?
They are Dunlop D605 dual-sport tires. The front is size 3.00 x 21 and rear size is 4.60 x 18.

They are Dunlop D605 dual-sport tires. The front is size 3.00 x 21 and rear size is 4.60 x 18.
Thank you.

I've got the Dunlop D606 front and rear on a Suzuki DR-Z 400S now, and while they are great off-road, the vibration is a little much on the asphalt. I might just have to give the D605 a try.

I've got the Dunlop D606 front and rear on a Suzuki DR-Z 400S now, and while they are great off-road, the vibration is a little much on the asphalt. I might just have to give the D605 a try.
The Dunlop 605s don't vibrate at all on the road.

Back