Got a 2024 Kawasaki KLX300

Plan on riding it to an ORV (off road vehicle) park about 30 miles from me and do some off-road riding too. The main reason I wanted a dual-sport is so I can ride it on the roads to get to off road areas instead of hauling a non-street legal bike to the woods. The KLX300 will do 65-70 MPH if needed to without getting to hard on the engine.
Nice! 300 is plenty for a lighter bike & 1 up. Maybe when you get a chance for the offroad area to post some more photos?

That's a sweet bike! There is nothing like having a brand new bike and you know exactly how it's been maintained.
Speaking of maintenance, I've already read the whole owner's manual, and Kawasaki says the first oil and filter change is at 600 miles, which is typical on bikes. But they then say change the oil and filter every 7,500 miles, but more often for severe use (owner's call). No way I'm going that long, especially if doing some off-road riding and some possible clutch feathering in the trails. Wouldn't go that long even if never ridden off-road. The engine oil capacity is only 1.2 qts and has a redline of 10,500 RPM. I'll probably change the oil every 1500-2000 miles (or once per year if less miles than that), and change the cartridge filter every other OCI.

The engine oil capacity is only 1.2 qts and has a redline of 10,500 RPM. I'll probably change the oil every 1500-2000 miles
Wow that is a lower oil capacity and a higher redline than I was expecting. Still it's a modern liquid cooled single, more advanced than the old air cooled singles I use to ride.

Yes I too would change the oil sooner than the recommended 7,500 miles. At least annually or 3,000 miles, with the filter every 6,000 miles. Similar to your wise plan.

Speaking of maintenance, I've already read the whole owner's manual, and Kawasaki says the first oil and filter change is at 600 miles, which is typical on bikes. But they then say change the oil and filter every 7,500 miles, but more often for severe use (owner's call). No way I'm going that long, especially if doing some off-road riding and some possible clutch feathering in the trails. Wouldn't go that long even if never ridden off-road. The engine oil capacity is only 1.2 qts and has a redline of 10,500 RPM. I'll probably change the oil every 1500-2000 miles (or once per year if less miles than that), and change the cartridge filter every other OCI.
My Honda Monkey was kind of similar. I think the first oil change was at 500 miles and several thousand after the first oil change. No thanks, I change it every 500 miles and will continue to do so. I don't ride much and only have 1,250 miles on a 2020 Monkey. I just ride around the area where I live and in very low traffic areas and dirt roads etc.

Attachments

• tutPyvKAStOCct9cVNOSxQ.jpg
    tutPyvKAStOCct9cVNOSxQ.jpg
    354.3 KB · Views: 11
LoL 😄 ... yes, I wish I could keep all my bikes, but the Busa just didn't get the attention it deserved. The new owner is thrilled with it and hopefully gets as much excitement out of it as I did. At least I turned the cash from the Busa into another bike that I can get some enjoyment out of. The XSR will still fill the void the Busa left behind. Did you end up buying a Gen3 Busa?
I wouldn't post pics in this thread, but since you asked.

Yes. I bought a 2022 black/copper, and enjoyed it for a year.

IMG_20220126_143606.jpg

Then the 2023 models were released, and I felt it was meant to be. So I swapped the '22 for an all black '23, which color-matches my old hot rod 1st gen.

IMG_20230906_124140.jpg
So it looks like the plan is to pass the dual-sports on the way to the trailhead, and then BLOCK the entrance to the trail, as seen in the pic... :ROFLMAO:

I did the first service on it today at 625 miles.

So it looks like the plan is to pass the dual-sports on the way to the trailhead, and then BLOCK the entrance to the trail, as seen in the pic... :ROFLMAO:
LOL ... that looks like a nice trail heading up the hill. :D The all black 2023 looks sharp.

That's a sweet bike! There is nothing like having a brand new bike and you know exactly how it's been maintained. I really like the green seat and black wheels. That bike will last a long, long time. Putting 88 miles on it in one day is pretty good for a bike that size. Congrats!
Those are "Honeymoon Miles" everything is perfect, smooth and new.

I've been looking at the KLX300 for a couple of years. Sold a bike I hardly ever rode anymore, so decided to sell it and get dual-sport bike. I've had a few non-street legal dirt bikes, but never a dual-sport. Decided to go traditional Kawasaki Green instead of the "Battle Gray" or "Cypher Camo Gray" colors ... they has too much black & gray for me. Also, with the green machine, it's much more visible which could be a good thing. They changed the body work (looks better IMO), went with black rims on the Green, and went with an LED headlight for 2024. The suspension feels pretty good right out of the box (it's adjustable too), and has 10.0 inches of travel up front (see last photo) and 9.1 inches of travel in the rear. The KLX300 of this design has been out since the 2021 model year, so any issues since then should be worked out, but from what I've read this bike has always been pretty trouble-free. A few photos ... I have a whole 88 miles so far (got it yesterday) and doing some break-in riding on the back roads. Transmission shift nice, haven't missed on gear yet, lol. Once broken in, it will be able to do 70-75 mph on the highway without getting crazy high in RPM if needed.

View attachment 177907

View attachment 177908

View attachment 177909

View attachment 177910
Congrats

LOL ... that looks like a nice trail heading up the hill. :D The all black 2023 looks sharp.

The truth is I've been considering a dual-sport such as the 650cc models from Suzuki, Kawasaki, and Honda for awhile. Or a bigger ADV-style bike which would be better on-road, but more of a chore on trails. We already have the pure dirtbikes. But as you said, you have to haul them anywhere (usually the dunes) to ride them.

A KLX300 might just be the sweet spot...

The truth is I've been considering a dual-sport such as the 650cc models from Suzuki, Kawasaki, and Honda for awhile. Or a bigger ADV-style bike which would be better on-road, but more of a chore on trails. We already have the pure dirtbikes. But as you said, you have to haul them anywhere (usually the dunes) to ride them.

A KLX300 might just be the sweet spot...
My friend has a crf250l (last year before the 300l) and I ride a Tenere 700, a klx300 maybe the best choice for the majority, just good enough power and suspensions at a decent price.

I think it would be interesting if Kawasaki bumped the KLX up to 400cc and put a 3 or 4 gal fuel tank on it. Of course that would make it a bit larger and heavier.

There's some power left to uncork in the 300 with a few simple and not too costly aftermarket mods that many people do: 1) Muffler, 2) Airbox snorkel and 3) Fuel injector controller box. Think you can do all for around $500. Tons of YouTube videos showing these mods.

Last edited:
Nice bike…..I bought a used low mile 2021 KLX300 six months ago. It has been trouble free, gets 65-70 mpg, and is fun to ride being light and nimble. I won’t go more than 2500 miles on the oil and filter change.
View attachment 178531
What rear rack and bag do you have on yours?

What rear rack and bag do you have on yours?
That is the Kawasaki branded rack and an old Rapid Transit tank bag that is zip tied to the rack. The bike came with the rack and the smaller Kawasaki tool bag. Any smaller tank or tail bag can be installed.

I think it would be interesting if Kawasaki bumped the KLX up to 400cc and put a 3 or 4 gal fuel tank on it. Of course that would make it a bit larger and heavier.

There's some power left to uncork in the 300 with a few simple and not too costly aftermarket mods that many people do: 1) Muffler, 2) Airbox snorkel and 3) Fuel injector controller box. Think you can do all for around $500. Tons of YouTube videos showing these mods.

How big is the gas tank on the 300? It seems like none of these bikes have an big enough tank, with a few exceptions.

I guess that's why the larger aftermarket tanks seems so common. At least they were, I wonder if those oversize aftermarket tanks are still being made?

How big is the gas tank on the 300? It seems like none of these bikes have an big enough tank, with a few exceptions.

I guess that's why the larger aftermarket tanks seems so common. At least they were, I wonder if those oversize aftermarket tanks are still being made?
The KLX300 gas tank is 2.0 gallons, which seems on the small side if you're doing a lot off off-road riding. Probably why larger aftermarket tanks are available. I haven't looked into them, but would bet they are still available. Seems there are lots of aftermarket mods for the KLX300.

I know so far on the road it can get 65-70 MPG riding around the back roads riding between 40-65 MPH. In hard core off-road, slow going low gear use, probably much less.

Last edited:

Two gallons but the most I’ve ever put in was 1.7 gallons. Which is about how long you can stand the stock seat……1.7 gallons worth of riding.

We took the old hot rod for a ride, to block the trailhead again, the other day. :ROFLMAO:

Decided we needed the extra grunt of the big-bore stroker, to pass the dual-sports 2 up...

Nah, the wife is a petite 108 lbs. :)

IMG_20230915_140317.jpg

Back