$60k Harley Davidson?!!

And apparently modernization coming to the new CVOS with a VVT M8 @120CID... Don't love the new fairings.

Here's your modernized Sportster.

That Nightster don't look half bad, but at $14k, it's a pretty steep "entry" price IMO.

That Nightster don't look half bad, but at $14k, it's a pretty steep "entry" price IMO.

That's true,

Also the low models are gone which is IMO a bit of a problem, i expect we will see that line expand but i don't know how much cheaper they can make it...

If you put ABS and security on an EVO sporty it was not too far from something like the softail standard... so I think right or wrong that coupled with the utter failure of the "Street" line they just aren't that interested in the entry level...

I didn't start out on Harleys neither did my bride.

IDK, If I were to start talking about ignorant posts, I would perhaps refrain from assuming people’s feelings, financial status or the motorcycle type being discussed (it’s not a custom motorcycle).

I will be the first one to tell people not to worry how others spend their money, but this thread isn’t about that.

I also like Harleys and although I have not owned one yet, I’m would not mind a Fatboy or a Road King, maybe an ultra classic. I pretty much like all motorcycles, but there becomes a point where one has to wonder just how much more of “stuff” are you getting for the money.
I found it amusing when I owned my fatboy reading on the Harley forums about their stage 1,2,3,4 performance kits and how fast their Harley is. My thoughts were if I was trying to own a powerful fast bike it sure wouldn’t be a Harley. I could spend thousands of dollars and still wouldn’t be able to touch my Vmax 1700 when it was bone stock.

Reliability of my BMWs, GW and Harleys have all been about the same ie. very good.
I don't doubt that,
I found it amusing when I owned my fatboy reading on the Harley forums about their stage 1,2,3,4 performance kits and how fast their Harley is. My thoughts were if I was trying to own a powerful fast bike it sure wouldn’t be a Harley. I could spend thousands of dollars and still wouldn’t be able to touch my Vmax 1700 when it was bone stock.
Those guys crack me up. They buy a $40K HD, then sink another $10K-$15K into the motor trying to make it fast, when they could've spent less than half that much on a stock metric that would blow away any modded HD...

Reliability of my BMWs, GW and Harleys have all been about the same ie. very good.
Yeah as others I started out on different bikes, Suzuki, Yami VStar then the Harley.

The progression to the Harley from the other bikes above was pretty rapid over a 6 year time frame to ultimately a new 2014 Road King which I still own today.
It was the first product in my entire lifetime I ever bought an extended warranty because of all the forum BS. I thought for sure I would have needed it for the Harley, based on nothing scientific other than forum talk.
I did buy an after market warranty to save money. But still cost me a thousand dollars to extend it for 3 years maybe 4.

Well that was now nine years ago and 30,000 miles later.
Freaking 14 Road King has never needed a repair. The bike has exceeded my expectations in every way for my kind of riding which was 2up interstate to the beach and the other way for vacations loaded with luggage in and around the Smoky Mountains.

One maintenance item that I love about the bike is rear tires last me 14,000 miles. I never understood why my metric bikes needed rear tires in half the time at 7000 miles.

This year I start a new chapter in life moved to Coastal NC and will be riding the coastal areas of NC and SC

Last edited:
I bought my H-D Electra Glide Standard brand new in 2009. I sold it to a buddy in 2021 with 37K miles. The only real repair it needed was a new compensator. That's it. Great bike....

I don't doubt that,

Those guys crack me up. They buy a $40K HD, then sink another $10K-$15K into the motor trying to make it fast, when they could've spent less than half that much on a stock metric that would blow away any modded HD...

Yeah, like I said earlier, Harleys have many positive attributes, but performance is not one of them.

but people are free to spend their money however they please.

There are people putting money into econoboxes trying to make more HP, cheap side skirts and other ground effects. Whatever floats their boat. The industry love these people.

I bought my H-D Electra Glide Standard brand new in 2009. I sold it to a buddy in 2021 with 37K miles. The only real repair it needed was a new compensator. That's it. Great bike....
My 2009 Superglide has been stone cold reliable at 50,000 miles. A rear brake light switch has been the only “repair” it has ever needed!

Yeah, like I said earlier, Harleys have many positive attributes, but performance is not one of them.
Even that word "performance" is relative. My Harley has outperformed by every metric the previous motorcycles I have owned. I would have to ask you, I dont know if it's in this thread. Do you own a late model Harley Cruiser? If you did I dont think you would be making that statement. (just discussing here BTW) If you do, then maybe different strokes on what performance we are taking about.

I NEVER or rarely ever have to down shift on mountain roads due to its transmission and engine torque. I always had to down shift with the other bikes I mentioned previously, loaded with luggage and a passenger.

What about road performance? The 2014 Harley tracks on the open road like its on rails, positive, stable as heck, doesnt get blown around and you can go for hours like that. It's a blast to ride, smooth as silk, an incredible experience, twist the throttle and it doesnt break a sweat truly amazing.
Heck I could put the cruise control on and take my hands off the handle bars.

Brake performance, wow I can hit either the front or rear brake HARD at interstate speeds and the bike loaded over 1000 pounds will stop on a dime with nothing more than a chirp from the linked antilock brakes (it doesnt matter if I hit front or rear or both, the computer takes over preventing panic stop mistakes, after all we are human and in a panic sometimes we can respond wrong, so the bike will never slide out from you you will always just stop with both brakes applied correctly no matter what brake you hit, front or rear. )

SO I am not sure what the "performance" means, isnt what I just posted the same as if we were evaluating large SUV type cars and trucks only in motorcycle terms? Large road hauling interstate cruising machines with massive torque.

PS. I swear I dont work for Harley or know anyone who does *LOL*

Last edited:

I know he's a dealer but he talks about some of what's brought up here.

RE: Performance it is all relative, but i do tend to agree that if going really fast is your goal you buy something else, but the same can be argued for many other things, its a right tool for the job issue. Still our 103B is plenty fast... My main laugh at the HD Forums is the "Build Threads" invariably i liked it better before they messed with it.

Even that word "performance" is relative. My Harley has outperformed by every metric the previous motorcycles I have owned. I would have to ask you, I dont know if it's in this thread. Do you own a late model Harley Cruiser? If you did I dont think you would be making that statement. (just discussing here BTW) If you do, then maybe different strokes on what performance we are taking about.

I NEVER or rarely ever have to down shift on mountain roads due to its transmission and engine torque. I always had to down shift with the other bikes I mentioned previously, loaded with luggage and a passenger.

What about road performance? The 2014 Harley tracks on the open road like its on rails, positive, stable as heck, doesnt get blown around and you can go for hours like that. It's a blast to ride, smooth as silk, an incredible experience, twist the throttle and it doesnt break a sweat truly amazing.

Brake performance, wow I can hit either the front or rear brake HARD at interstate speeds and the bike loaded over 1000 pounds will stop on a dime with nothing more than a chirp from the linked antilock brakes (it doesnt matter if I hit front or rear or both, the computer takes over preventing panic stop mistakes, after all we are human and in a panic sometimes we can respond wrong, so the bike will never slide out from you you will always just stop with both brakes applied correctly no matter what brake you hit, front or rear. )

SO I am not sure what the "performance" means, isnt what I just posted the same as if we were evaluating large SUV type cars and trucks only in motorcycle terms? Large road hauling interstate cruising machines with massive torque.

Yes, performance is relative, but we were talking about spending thousands on performance mods on a platform and engine configuration that is not great for it. So we know these people are chasing HP.
Different strokes for sure.

I guess is you look strictly at a v-twin cruiser market, Harley is probably near the top or at the very top, even when it comes to engine performance. So if that’s the only style one is interested in, then I would agree, Harley is probably hard to beat.

But there is also a touring and sport touring segment and while the styles are vastly different, these machines are just as capable highway cruisers, but we’re talking 150-160hp engines and pretty high lean angles in these. It’s another level from a Harley IMO.

Don't make it "too fast", because it won't be able to do "rodeo events" anymore. 😄

You must have had some really mild metrics because even the mid sized metrics will easily outperform HDs, including the M8 models...

I see some of you guys posting about HDs with 30-50K trouble free miles. I routinely see Gold Wings with hundreds of thousands of miles with nothing more than routine maintenance...I wouldn't be boasting about 50K miles...

I could be wrong but I'm slowly starting to get a feeling that you do not like Harleys.
He's one of those guys that think whatever vehicle he has is the best one there could ever be. And if you own a different brand, your wrong. More that likely he has never ridden a Harley, and probably isn't able to afford one, so running the brand down makes him feel superior. Like he says, he's seen alot of bikes with high mileage, just hasn't ever been the owner of one. It doesn't cost anything to dream.,,,

So, calling me a liar now? I guess if you can't argue facts, you have to make things up. Do you believe motorcycles have souls? That's right up there with the tooth fairy and unicorns...

Yes, performance is relative, but we were talking about spending thousands on performance mods on a platform and engine configuration that is not great for it. So we know these people are chasing HP.
Different strokes for sure.

I guess is you look strictly at a v-twin cruiser market, Harley is probably near the top or at the very top, even when it comes to engine performance. So if that’s the only style one is interested in, then I would agree, Harley is probably hard to beat.

But there is also a touring and sport touring segment and while the styles are vastly different, these machines are just as capable highway cruisers, but we’re talking 150-160hp engines and pretty high lean angles in these. It’s another level from a Harley IMO.
Well said, and I’m not being defensive in any way when we discuss things and Im not a proponent of any one motorcycle, Im not kidding either! I REALLY like A LOT of bikes. So many that if I had the budget I would have too many and most likely get sick of them all.
I would actually LOVE to have a low cost sport tourer like the Concours 14 or something else, BMW 1200 maybe?

You're certainly entitled to your likes and dislikes but hopefully open to discussion since you started the thread. All I do when it comes to Harley bashing from others is I like clarity because when there is clarity there is nothing to bash in a Harley and why to this day it outsells all heavy cruisers in the USA to the point that the Asian makers just about completely pulled out of the market 10 years ago. All the majors, Yami, Suzuki, Kawasaki and Honda got rid of at least 75% of their product line in big cruisers. Why? They could not sell them.

Ok, another problem, like your reply above, we specifically talk about Harley but then you use a generic post about highway cruisers saying "while styles are vastly different, these machines are just as capable highway cruisers" Well there you have it, different styles for different people.

It would be helpful in these threads on Harley bashing if brands and model numbers are mentioned instead of all other non mentioned motorcycles in the world just as capable as Harley cruisers. How can we claim "others" when the "others" arent mentioned?

Motorcycles are too many a source of enjoyment, much as the modification of any motor vehicle. (My Road King engine is stock) Is there anything wrong with a Harley owner wanting to spend thousands more for another 10 maybe 15 HP? I dont see it for me but if its your hobby why not?

My question would be since you mention unnamed motorcycles just as capable bikes as touring bikes, what on earth is the sense of 150 to 160 HP motorcycles that have to rev up to and over 7000 RPM cruising 2 up with luggage up a mountain to get the same torque numbers that Harley does at 4000 RPM or lower?

I mean, HP numbers are worthless to many on a bike if you're going to give up torque unless reving the engine 6700++ RPM to do what Harley can do at less than 4000 RPM. Other than that, what are you going to do with 160 HP other than make colorful marketing campaigns to cover up the fact that you have to further wind out the engine for those torque numbers? Never mind up and down shifting constantly to maintain the high RPMs.

It's all good, we all have preferences I just like some sanity in conversations instead of just one brand of motorcycle Harley being compared to unnamed "ghost" motorcycles.

Here is the statement about the BMW 1600 Grand America, made for American Roads. Even BMW acknowledges we live in a country unique to the world.
"BMW says the six-cylinder engine still makes 160 peak horsepower, though it now arrives at 6,750 rpm, 1,000 rpm earlier than before. Peak torque has increased to 133 lb-ft"
SO there is your "peak" HP number at 160. Sounds wonderful and BMW made a huge advancement (this year) where now you "only have to get to 6750 RPM to get there and its peak torque "increased" to 133 lb. (ps love the word "peak" what the heck it that?)

Wonderful isnt it, great achievement. Yet your run of the mill Harley heavy cruiser attains that same torque number around 127 lb at 3000 RPM and only needs to produce 100 hp. So which is the better bike engine?
None for some, I LOVE the torque/pull of my Road King, to this day (IM NOT KIDDING) I am in awe when I twist that throttle and the bike just pulls like an ape and the stock exhaust growls like a bear>

Its about the bike itself, your preference, are you a cruising rider that likes to set the cruise control on a bike and with Harleys massive torque vs HP never/rarely have to kick off the cruise control to down shift?

Unless you want to run some other bikes at and over 6000 RPM the whole time you will be downshifting. BTW many bikes are now limited as to speed even the BMW mentioned. BMW's Grand America Motorcycle is limited to 100 MPH.

I couldn't own a BMW if I wanted to except for many city areas as dealer network is sparse, I dont like the idea of changing out tires every 8000 miles either. I do LOVE sport tourers and throughout this entire post am not favoring one bike over another. There are all types for all reasons but many of the last remaining heavy cruisers for USA roads are slim, except Indian and BMW, Honda Goldwing. Each has its preference as to what they like, NONE of them have a problem traveling GPS speeds of 85 MPH without driver fatigue and in total comfort so what is to bash?

All heavy cruisers, all do the same thing but the Harley will pull like a freaking APE any time there is any resistance hills, mountains, loaded with luggage, 2up effortlessly.

(wow .. go to run, my insane long posts are getting tiring *LOL*)

PS, source of my info on the BMW which too, is an awesome bike I suspect, after all BMW was #1 in customer satisfaction and Harley #2 in customer satisfaction out of all the other major brands by Consumer Reports some years back (cant remember what year)=

Last edited:
Back