explaining the Harley Davidson fascination...

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have a couple of threads running here with the obligatory detractors of the Harley Davidson brand... they've run (as they typically do) several pages now... with some pretending to want to understand the fascination with Harley Davidsons--but veiling their actual intentions quite poorly, which are to mock what they don't understand.

I think it's worth pointing out that Harley Davidson owners rarely feel the need to question the metric bike owners for their decisions. Motorcycle choice is a personal thing and I don't think any man should have to spend the fruits of his labor on anything other than what he wants.

This all said, and proceeding on the assumption that there are a few lurkers here who really do wonder just what it is about a Harley Davidson motorcycle that evokes such cult-like loyalty, I will put some thoughts down...

I have owned by this point in my life at least a dozen Japanese motorcycles, and have never been disappointed with any of them. Most of them were for off-road use, but my last Honda was ridden both on the highway and off. It was a single cylinder 250 which would literally do 100 mph on the interstate. :)

But about 5 years ago, I bought my first Harley Davidson motorcycle--a used Low Rider. My first impression when I test rode it was "this is absolutely the most awkward and precarious motorcycle I have ever tried to ride." I took the bike down the road about a mile, then with both feet held ready to catch it if it tried to topple over, I turned it around and headed back toward the owner's home... I remember thinking "Do I really want something like this?" The bike had a loud set of pipes on it, and by this point I had mustered enough confidence to open up the throttle and hear those pipes a bit. I think that was the instant that the Harley V-twin began to move my soul. The rhythm of the engine, the beat of the pistons, the vibration of the machine... it just works its way into a man's spirit...

And it's not about speed. And even though Harley Davidson quality is top notch, it's not about quality. I think, if anything, it's about design.

Admittedly, Harley Davidson has turned out some goofy looking bikes here as of late. That Rocker with the tricycle like seat does nothing for me (but many really like it). But I think of all the motorcycle makers world-wide, Harley Davidson has been the only one able to make the motorcycle a work of art.

Don't believe it?

Look at all of the photography published... the posters... the ad-art where a motorcycle is called for. Ten to one, you'll find the Harley Davidson depicted over all other makes. You see, most people are not motorcycle aficionados--they just know what they like. They know what looks good...

And so do the metric bike makers. Honda, Suzuki, Kawasaki, and certainly Yamaha have all very overtly copied the classic Harley Davidson design. This leaves the rider of the metric facsimile experiencing something tantamount to having a transvestite for a girlfriend. It looks like the real thing... but on closer inspection... zoinks!~~it ain't. :eek:

I think it's the knowledge mentioned in the preceding paragraph that gnaws at the metric fan... it's a truth he must somehow bury with rhetoric and lies... he rides and apparently enjoys a fake; a cross-dresser, if you will.

And you know... a transvestite can usually outrun the real thing. And a transvestite is stronger than the real thing... but there's that annoying tell-tale difference in the way "she" sounds... :eek: ...and then there's that misplaced contour here or there, bulging like an adam's apple...

To the discerning man, it's s dead give away...
wink.gif

Dan

I don't ride a Harley because I don't generally ride on the street. Harleys are terrible in sand and rocks
grin2.gif
. I never understood the reason to ride on the street with all the blind car drivers just chomping at the bit to run over you. If I'm going to be on a street I might as well be in my Jeep with the AC or heat on and have a cage around me that will offer some protection in an accident.

I have been known to ride the street home after a long day of dirt riding and the street is more nerve racking than any dirt trail I have ever been on.

You don't want to roll up to this place near me on a Imported bike.

http://local.yahoo.com/info-20956454-screaming-chicken-saloon-san-bernardino?tab=reviews#reviews

fuel tanker man:

"I think it's worth pointing out that Harley Davidson owners rarely feel the need to question the metric bike owners for their decisions."

Reference the above quote from your post:

I have to say PARDON ME! Harley riders are famous for their relentless derogatory comments toward Japanese bikes. I know first hand. I have an ape like, leather wearing, tattooed, pony tailed, rottweiler owning, Harley riding relative who can't seem to say anything else but "J-a-p c-r-a-p. So, that part of your argument is completely bogus.

Help me out here, what single cylinder Honda 250 will do 100 mph? I'm having more than a bit of a problem with that one too. I'm smelling a bull in the pasture here.....

It's funny how differently we all perceive things. You look at metric bikes like they're all "transvestites" because even the lamest of them will out-perform a Harley. I know that some like to refer to their machines as "her or she", but sexualizing a machine in that manner is, well, bizarre. But I assume that's part of the HD cult. Deflecting reality by creating a fantasy where all the pieces fit perfectly to support your personal ideology. I think Willie G. might have given you an over-dose during your last programming session.

Your post is very much a testament to the delusion created and supported by a cult the evolves around a machine that is more of a figment of the imagination than mechanical accomplishment.

Oh, and by the way, let's not forget the ridiculous price the true believers pay to enter the delusion!

There are far more reasons NOT to own a Harley then there are to own one. Those of us still in charge of our own minds, can and will make the logical choice to buy the better product, despite Willie G's siren call....

"Help me out here, what single cylinder Honda 250 will do 100 mph? I'm having more than a bit of a problem with that one too. I'm smelling a bull in the pasture here....." it's on your upper lip from nuzzling cow bottoms. Not to worry.

Yes, the 250XL's we had in the mid 80's really did do what the speed-o showed: 100 mph. A slight down hill grade helped a bit, but they would do it--no kidding.

Great post!
I didn't post in the other thread on here about H/D just because it's a waste of time.

I 'get' the whole H/D thing, but then I also like just about all bikes. Had a old Virago 750 and hated it. Just like you said, the copy just isn't the real thing. Don't think I'm bashing anyone, cause I'm not. I ride Metric bikes, just not their cruisers.

I get judged by both camps if I'm out riding my Vespa which is a 150cc 2stroke, or my antique moped. Little do they realize what is parked at home in the garage and that I'm just out riding one of my other toys.

I learned long ago to not care what other people think. If I did, I wouldn't have as much fun. What's that old joke about fat women and mopeds..???

Ride what you like.

Food for thought and personal observations. At one time there
were over 100 American companies producing motorcycles.
From amoung bad designs, multiple poor econimic cycles, foreign
competition, brand loyalty, parts availablity, aftermarket
parts availability, ease to work on, etc, etc, etc Harley
has emerged as an american Icon for many reasons that
cannot be discounted as myth or a cult following...Just
as "Harley riders" cannot be stereotyped....but many still try.

Personal observations. Amoung the greatest population of
Harley "haters" I've encountered are GoldWing owners who
have never ridden or owned a harley. Many
traditional Harley riders have added Goldwings or other
foreign touring bikes to their collection. Interestingly
it's the guys who only own one bike that isn't a HD who
seem to be the most outspoken, negative, hating, fault
finders of HD and HD riders.

A recent poll on a Goldwing forum shows that
about 18% of the poll participants owned both at least
one Harley and a Goldwing. Approximately 20% of participants
previously owned HDs, and approximately 20% of current
GoldWing owners would like to own a Harley. These numbers
are not entirely consistant with similar polls conducted
by "non brand associated forums"...which indicate a larger
percentage of multiple bike owners in the US...about 30% of
multiple bike owners in the US own at least one HD..."google
it and research it for yourselves"

Last observation....seems to be alot of closed minded,
baby-boomers with limited financial resources and no
college education who own one bike that is not a HD and
constantly bash HDs and HD riders. These guys seem to
brag and tout that they are somehow smarter than the
people who own and ride Harleys for some reason.
These same outspoken folks also can't seem
to fathom that they are outnumbered by both Harley owners
and longtime Harley owners who also have added at least
one other brand of motorcycle to their stable......ignorance, jealousy, or both?

Last edited:
There is a distribution of people who own every type of widget to car to motorcycle. Let's just not allow there to be personal attacks forming, else this will need to be locked...

Thanks.

Originally Posted By: boraticus
fuel tanker man:

It's funny how differently we all perceive things. You look at metric bikes like they're all "transvestites" because even the lamest of them will out-perform a Harley.

Here is something a lot of folks don't seem to understand, Harley riders don't care how fast someone else's bike will go. There is really no need to run 125 mph over the speed limit. It's the cruise, the sound, the feeling, and quite frankly the friendships formed. Until someone can say I've been there and done that then it's only speculation.

I also find it interesting the OP stated that Harley riders don't care what other people ride because the question I'm asked most frequently by Harley owners is why didn't buy a Harley? To avoid starting an argument I give them all my standard answer which I know they can't argue with. I tell them I bought my 109 because I wanted a big cubic inch v-twin that has a lot of power and massive acceleration, and I'd have to spend $15K-$20K in mods to make a Harley run like a stock 109. They simply can't argue with that because it's the truth.

Originally Posted By: Johnny
Originally Posted By: boraticus
fuel tanker man:

It's funny how differently we all perceive things. You look at metric bikes like they're all "transvestites" because even the lamest of them will out-perform a Harley.

Here is something a lot of folks don't seem to understand, Harley riders don't care how fast someone else's bike will go. There is really no need to run 125 mph over the speed limit. It's the cruise, the sound, the feeling, and quite frankly the friendships formed. Until someone can say I've been there and done that then it's only speculation.

You're right, most Harley riders don't care that their bikes aren't fast....but I do. That's one of the main reasons I won't buy one. To me a big part of the riding experience is the rush you get when you twist the throttle to the stop and feel that massive acceleration. There's nothing on the street that can accelerate as fast a a quick MC and until I can experience that feeling by taking a pill, I'll just have to experience it on my bike.....

I get the Harley bike thing, what i dont understand is having everything you own being an advertisement for Harley Davidson.

Originally Posted By: posty
I get the Harley bike thing, what i dont understand is having everything you own being an advertisement for Harley Davidson.

I actually agree with that. (and I began this thread).

I don't buy Harley shirts, jackets, boots, or anything such.

I don't like the poser image that the Harley Davidson clothing seems to cater to.

But the bikes themselves... especially the older ones... there's something about 'em that you just get drawn to.

Dan

Originally Posted By: fuel tanker man

I don't like the poser image that the Harley Davidson clothing seems to cater to.

But the bikes themselves... especially the older ones... there's something about 'em that you just get drawn to.

Dan

+1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back