explaining the Harley Davidson fascination...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I ride a yamaha virago 750 HD clone and it's great. It's my first and only bike and I have nothing to compare it to, except riding in a car, which is much more lame. I'd enjoy a Harley if it appeared between my legs but the price premium is way too much for something I have to park over a long winter.

When I see another import rider I know he's out for the same reasons I am: handling, wind, freedom, scenery, etc.

When I see a H-D rider I wonder if he's in it for his buddies, to show off, etc. We have no helmet law here (as long as you're 18 and have one year experience), and the moreoften absence of helmets on the H-D crowd reinforces the notion that it's a fashion accessory first, vehicle second.

I don't care though, because I just like seeing more bikes on the road.

Originally Posted By: boraticus
fuel tanker man:

Help me out here, what single cylinder Honda 250 will do 100 mph? I'm having more than a bit of a problem with that one too. I'm smelling a bull in the pasture here.....

My 1990 KLR250 would untill I regeared it. With the stock sprockets it would do 35mph in 1st gear and 96 mph in 5th @ 10,500 rpm, Wouldn't pull 6th gear except down hill. Speed checked with my GPS too.

I regeared it so that it tops out @ 75 mph in 6th @ 10,500rpm now and is much more fun to ride now. This bike is a single cylinder, water cooled, 11-1 compression with double overhead cams and 4 valves.

Live and let live. My cousin's a Harley guy. He has the full-fairing cop style Harley. I've ridden it and once you get it moving it feels half the weight it feels at around 5 mph. This is a very comfortable bike and he rides long distance. In this use I get it.

I respect anybody on any machine that loves to get out there and enjoy the sport/pastime. I happen to enjoy sport/sport-touring bikes.

It's the gang that dresses up like pirates and rides their bikes 5 miles to the bar on a saturday that I don't understand. This group isn't limited to Harley riders as the metric cruiser crowd is almost equally represented. For these guys, their cruiser is just part of the costume, not for the love of the sport.

I don't understand them, but I couldn't care less what they do as long as they do it with a smile on their face and they're not slagging someone else's choice. Because hey, why bother?

What I'd really like to see is for Fuel Tanker Man to post up some of this motorcycle art he's talking about. I never get tired of seeing pictures of machines of any kind!

Originally Posted By: Johnny
You have the need for speed, we do not. Enough said. Enjoy what you have and let us enjoy what we have. What is so hard about that?

Nothing. I was just pointing out the OP's comment about Harley guys not caring about what other people ride, and yet they always ask why I didn't buy a Harley, I explained my answer and it went from there...

I have an 1800 Goldwing and do not bash Harleys, in my opinion they are the absolute best cruiser style motorcycle. The big four Japanese companies all make excellent cruiser style motorcycles, but they are also styled after the traditional Haely design. Even Harley has problems when they come out with a different design; the V-Rod is a perfect example. What is important is that we get out ride and support each other. Along with this I think it is great to live in a country that gives us choices on what to buy and to be critical of other brands.

I have been riding 37 years on the big four Japanese motorcycles, BMW’s, and yes Harleys. If you take care of the bike it will take care of you. I ride with a number of Harley riders and have never been bashed about a Honda, even though there have been a few comments about the wing being so quite, just turned up the radio.

Remember, just ride and support each other, in the end it us against them!

I just don't like the loud noise from the H/D, but then I don't like loud lawn mowers either.

Now I take my hearing aids out and hear neither.

Originally Posted By: BigCahuna
so when are the '10 109's coming out?.,,

There won't be a 2010 109.

Originally Posted By: grampi
I wanted a big cubic inch v-twin that has a lot of power and massive acceleration, and I'd have to spend $15K-$20K in mods to make a Harley run like a stock 109. They simply can't argue with that because it's the truth.

+1.
I remember my first drive on a friend's Road King with shotgun pipes. It sounded and throbbed great, but when I twisted the throttle it felt slower accelerating than a Honda Jazz scooter!
Then I tried another friend's Yamaha Vmax with pipes. Now that was a real motorcycle.

Originally Posted By: fuel tanker man
"Help me out here, what single cylinder Honda 250 will do 100 mph? I'm having more than a bit of a problem with that one too. I'm smelling a bull in the pasture here....." it's on your upper lip from nuzzling cow bottoms. Not to worry.

Yes, the 250XL's we had in the mid 80's really did do what the speed-o showed: 100 mph. A slight down hill grade helped a bit, but they would do it--no kidding.

Don't think so friend. Not a chance. You'd have to be on a very steep slope to get 100 mph out of one of those, like throwing it off of a cliff. They weren't geared to go that fast. If you saw 75 mph on a steep hill, you'd be lucky.

Here's a link for a bit of a reality check. Top speed is 69 mph.

http://www.bikez.com/motorcycles/honda_xl_250_s_1982.php

Considering that you're a die hard Harley fan, I guess it's a given that you're to be forgiven for excessive embellishment. After all, it comes with the territory right?

Isn't there a Harley mantra that says:

"Let not the truth nor facts get in the way of defending our beloved Harley Davidons."

As much as this subject can be entertaining, I must heed the sage advice of Mr. Albert Einstein who said: "Insanity is, repeating the same thing over and over and over again expecting different results." There will never be an end to the Harley vs. the rest of the world debate. Reality isn't for everybody.

Don't think so friend. Not a chance. You'd have to be on a very steep slope to get 100 mph out of one of those, like throwing it off of a cliff. They weren't geared to go that fast. If you saw 75 mph on a steep hill, you'd be lucky.

Here's a link for a bit of a reality check. Top speed is 69 mph.

Yeah,not many 4 stroke 250 trail bikes would get over 80mph without a lot of work....my 1992 XT600 with a big bore kit and Supertrapp would only do 140kph with stock gearing.But my 1997 Yamaha DT230 would do 165kph (over 100mph)with stock gearing,and get there very quickly too.A CRM 250 is more powerful than the DT230,and would pull 100mph easy - but I don't think either bike was available in the US.

I have no problems with Harleys,but cruisers are not my thing.I really like Sportsters,just a stock one,883,1200,I don't really care.Pity Harley took so long to cash in on the XR750....but I don't like the XR1200.I'd like to streettracker a Sporty - low,light and nimble.Can be done,but light and nimble is not what people want from a HD.

Originally Posted By: jimvegas

Ride what you like.

thankyou2.gif

Originally Posted By: posty
I get the Harley bike thing, what i dont understand is having everything you own being an advertisement for Harley Davidson.

X2
My ex girlfriends moms new husband, in the 2 years we were together, I never saw him without a HD t-shirt, jacket or something. He was a walking HD billboard. Not sure what he rides

Guy I work with has the 100th Ann v-rod. Never wears any HD apparel

Guess it depends on the person

Originally Posted By: Johnny
fuel tanker man:

It's funny how differently we all perceive things. You look at metric bikes like they're all "transvestites" because even the lamest of them will out-perform a Harley.

Here is something a lot of folks don't seem to understand, Harley riders don't care how fast someone else's bike will go. There is really no need to run 125 mph over the speed limit. It's the cruise, the sound, the feeling, and quite frankly the friendships formed. Until someone can say I've been there and done that then it's only speculation.
At one time I owned a 1971 Kawasaki and at the time it was one of the fastest bikes on the road ,today it is an entry level bike as far as using faster as a comparison. There are fast bikes there are slow bikes, racer bikes, cruiser bikes,street bikes, dirt bikes. Better bikes, not so better bikes. When it comes to bikes your personal passion what makes the your choice good for you.

i will throw my two pennies in the ring.

#1 my 250 ninja will do 100mph, a nice slope helps get it there faster, but that is a 250 that WILL do it.

#2 a motor, a frame, two wheels, open road (or im my opinion a twisty one) is a simple thing to love, Yes some bikes do some things better than others, Brand loyality is ok but there is no good use for forcing your opinion on others. when you have to debate whats on the tank your missing the point and most likely not in it for the sport. It matters not what your on when i pass you, you will still get the nod/wave.

#3 the guys that look like the HD catalog blew up on them, and the Tom cruise "top gun" squids.. make me smile
#4 I only get heated when the right to ride comes up in Washington. I recomend joining the AMA

In '99 I had an 883 Sportster - for almost a year. After the 4th time in the shop (typical ride it then fix it), I sold it and bought a Yamaha 750 Virago. Well, 45,000 miles later and never failed to start, never broke down, never been worked on - except routine maintenance, never even a sputter. People commonly get 80-k to 90-k miles out of these motors before they even have to be touched.

I'm not a mechanic and don't like to have to work on engines any more than I have to. I like daily 'Start and Go Reliability'.
You just can't beat the reliability and performance of Japanese bikes - not to mention price.

Oh yeah, do I miss my Harley? Nope. Not to mention the fact that the Virago does the exact same thing, only more reliably and with less vibration, plus a more comfortable ride.

Due to circumstances beyond my control, I had to sell the Virage in 2003. Now I ride a Honda Metropolitan and also have a couple of chinese 2-stroke scooters. Wow, talk about a change of pace.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back