5w30 in a car spec for 0w16

I think we knew the best ideas had been exhausted at the advent of Stop/Start 😷
Just wait until the new MPG targets take effect ... lots of 1000cc 3-bangers in a salt flats slipstream tube body running on 0W-8. :D And lots of the muscle cars are going hybrid as a way to eventually die off or, as a stepping stone to become full EV.

Last edited:
Just wait until the new MPG targets take effect ... lots of 1000cc 3-bangers in a salt flats slipstream tube body running on 0W-8. :D And lots of the muscle cars are going hybrid as a way to eventually die off or, as a stepping stone to become full EV.
3 cylinder with AFM 😷

I put Valvoline Advanced 5W-30 in my 2015 Coyote and it runs great and very quiet ... just wanted more MOFT for those spirited episodes. It never did have the BBQ tick though.
I bought my 15 5.0 new. I had a 04 F150 5.4 3V until 2015. I preemptively changed VCT solonoids and the $35 fuel sender....never had any VCT or chain issues in mine. 5-30 PYB at 5k with MC filter was the original owner OCI and I did 5k with MC 5-30 blend most often. My 04 ticked for sure but never an issue. Last I knew it was well over 200k and still going strong.

My 15 has been great. Moon roof panel is a PITA, had the TSB on the cooled seats (fixed now), and hood sensor was a weird one. The latch was adjusted and sensor issue went away.

Na, if infrastructure bill passes there will be no more muscle cars. Vote is very near. In this bill is big brother control via tech. Read up on it. If you love cars and driving, this bill has many hidden issues that will be future posts here. Unless we aren't allowed to talk about em.

I understand where you're coming from but I think Toyota is being very vague and on purpose. They actually say "one with a higher value" and (purposely) don't include any numbers at all.
I think it’s because the dealers want to run the oil they HAVE in stock.

The uber drivers here in uk mostly use prius and they all running 0w20 and change it around 7k miles

Full EV will only work if you can get 300 miles per charge, and be able to fully charge up in a matter of minutes like we do with a tank of gasoline. Just imagine the entire petroleum industry will be totally gone, and the amount of work to change over every single gas station to a charging station.

The industrial revolution will have to be started over again by erasing the entire infrastructure and starting all over from scratch.

We'll never see that. Just imagine the hundreds of years that will have to be re-done.

I think it’s because the dealers want to run the oil they HAVE in stock.
Absolutely true. If they're smart, they'll make a "mistake" on the work order and note the "right" oil on the paperwork (no harm, no foul). Otherwise, people will slam their fists and demand that the dealer drain out that horribly wrong oil and replace it with the proper stuff... Yet there are threads every day for cars that call for XW-XX and people are told, "no worries at all, yeah, you can run ZW-ZZ in that all day long".

Absolutely true. If they're smart, they'll make a "mistake" on the work order and note the "right" oil on the paperwork (no harm, no foul). Otherwise, people will slam their fists and demand that the dealer drain out that horribly wrong oil and replace it with the proper stuff... Yet there are threads every day for cars that call for XW-XX and people are told, "no worries at all, yeah, you can run ZW-ZZ in that all day long".
Or when you ask the dealer to use 504 00 oil instead of 508 00 and they say "no problem."

19 pages … Zee09 feeling the pressure (objects in mirror are closer than … 👀)

To believe a manufacturer has your long term mileage interest at heart is certainly not something you, an intelligent individual can be espousing. All of em are playing to many facets at once and taking a vehicle to 200k is not their interest.

Sure seems 100k is many manufacturers benchmark and a 3 year lease is the golden egg.
Toyota and Honda does have long term in mind. If you think Toyota and Honda don’t test engines, and just use 0w20 or 0w16 you are very ignorant. Now domestic, no they don’t have longevity in mind at all.

You have no idea how dealership service department works sir!

We are talking about 2 different types of engines. This is not a Toyota engine, it is not even a competition. 5.0’s have issues. Ford can’t build an engine for nothing
Guess I should have put a sarcasm tag on my comment. Point is, people think thinner and thinner oils protect just as good as thicker oils regardless of what engine it's used in ... so maybe Ford should start slapping 0W-16 in their engines too. Ford didn't change anything with respect to bearing clearances in any of the Coyote (or Roadrunner in the Boss 302), and have recommended oil viscosity from 5W-20 to 5W-50. Go figure.

Back