5W-30 instead of 0W-20 for 2016 Toyota Camry 2.5 Hybrid

On hybrids: if you do a lot of low-speed, in town driving, there is a high likelihood that it will take a while for the oil to reach normal temp, if at all. So, the added thickness of 5W30 is even more likely to reduce fuel economy. There is no need to bump up to a 5W30.

On hybrids: if you do a lot of low-speed, in town driving, there is a high likelihood that it will take a while for the oil to reach normal temp, if at all. So, the added thickness of 5W30 is even more likely to reduce fuel economy. There is no need to bump up to a 5W30.
This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^!!! + Your goin' to have many more start/stop events than an 100% ICE engine. Thinner is better than thicker in this situation.

Last edited:
This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^!!! + Your goin' to have many more start/stop events than an 100% ICE engine. Thinner is better than thicker in this situation.
Only for a tiny incremental increase in fuel economy, which is the only thing an oil with a lower HT/HS will get you.

Only for a tiny incremental increase in fuel economy, which is the only thing an oil with a lower HT/HS will get you.
Do you have a problem with that? The battery will probably wear out before the engine, anyway.

0W-20 is the label on the oil cap in 2016 Toyota Camry Hybrid

I went to a parts shop to buy oil and the seller said it is better to use 5W-30 for hot weather, he said 5W-30 will protect the engine better than 0W-20 for high temperatures summer.

Is it true? Thanks

Yes Pete, it is true. Skippy, that works at the parts shop knows more than anyone who is employed by Toyota. I remember years ago going to Walmart and I went to pick up a 5 quart jug of oil, and this employee told me I should not buy that oil because it causes sludge. Anyone who has been on this Forum for awhile knows what brand of oil I am talking about. LOL

Getting back to the other Skippy that was working at Walmart, I said, if this oil causes sludge then why are you selling it here.

On a more serious note, you did not state what state you are driving this vehicle in.

I'm just gonna say you lucked up and got non-harmful advice from a parts store clerk. Don't expect your luck to continue.

Only for a tiny incremental increase in fuel economy, which is the only thing an oil with a lower HT/HS will get y

It's not ,about, the fuel economy: It's, about, the ,possibly, continuous starts and stops the ICE engine makes on the Hybrid. Ymmv

Not with a crappy conventional vs better synthetic base stock in a 0w20. Like I said highly debatable...
Not sure what is a crappy conventional these days … Things between $15-$20 a jug are semi‘s …

Last edited:
HT/HS ratings are not the sole way to evaluate an oil which in all this discussion seems to be what you are implying.
We were discussing film thickness and the influence of base stock composition. Within that context can you explain further your statement above?

Back