505.01 Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our family has an `04 Jetta TDI PD that we have been running the Castrol TXT 505.01 oil from the dealer for now 39k miles. I've been searching around and found ELF 5w40, Motul 5w40 and Pentosynth TS 5w40 to all be in the same price range as the Castrol TXT. Out of all those choices, which would be best to pick? I know of the new ELF 0w30 but it's rather pricey at $16.50 per liter. Thanks for any help.

mobil 1 0w40 is not vw 505.1 rated.mobil i 0w40 is vw 505 rated.i use mobil 1 505 0w40 in my 03 vw beetle 2.0 gas eng.

windnsea00, there is no conclusive evidence that one particular oil is better than the rest, so use whatever is easier to get and/or cheaper.

Neil Womack, Schaeffer's is 505.01 rated, but not certified by VW. I don't think VWoA would honor the engine warranty if that oil was used.

QUaker State and Shell have 505.01 oils in the works for last quarter of this year.

Call VoA and ask them about whether not their warranty applies. Talking to VoA is a giant bag of fun.
tongue.gif

I keep telling you guys in almost every kind of language I can use - the USA VW customer is NOT contractually required to use one brand of oil or another. Read the owner's manual. Amsoil meets, Shaeffer's meets the specs VW lists in the owner's manuals.

VW can publish lists and post them on the web or where ever but there is NO way (in the USA) they can legally retroactively require any specific brand of oil be used without notifying the owners, getting agreement and possibly even providing that oil at no charge.

quote:

Originally posted by Pablo:

VW can publish lists and post them on the web or where ever but there is NO way (in the USA) they can legally retroactively require any specific brand of oil be used without notifying the owners, getting agreement and possibly even providing that oil at no charge.

What they can do is require that you use oils that meets certain specifications.

If an oil company just claims that me meet a certain specification instead of being approved by the organization that controls that specification, the oil purchaser has a small but real chance of getting caught in a ******* contest between the car manufaturer and the oil company.

[ October 11, 2005, 03:49 PM: Message edited by: XS650 ]

Let me clarify the VW oil requirements by quoting my '96 manual:

quote:

Gasoline engine specification
VW 500 00 or VW 501.00
These specifications must appear on the oil container.

It does not say an oil has to be approved by VW. The wording may be quite different in current VW/Audi manuals.

What about the new German Brawt Wurst 506.5550.440400.33433343 spec approved by Audi last night? I heard the oil had to be made with perfume so their customers get a good dose of aroma therapy while changeing the oil?

buster, you mean VW 504 and VW 507, which is of course the one-oil-fits-all VW/Audi engines that the confused consumers have been demanding. There, you got it! Just two VW specs, one for gas (not counting VW 505.01), the other for diesel engines, both in ONE BOTTLE, and just for you, buster. VW has been listening to your complaints. They simply couldn't stand it to see you confused. Happy now? I expect to hear no more whining from you or anyone else who exhibits this chronic inability to keep a few oil specs straight. Can you remember VW 504/507? That's all you have to know anymore, because those specs are even backwards applicable. Is it now easy enough for ya, buster?
tongue.gif

-

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back