OW-30 oil choices for domestic vehicles?

I am soon going to take possession of a new Lincoln with a 2.0 l EcoBoost.
There is a similar thread about using 0w30 for an EcoBoost engine. It doesn't really answer the question of what choices?

Pennzoil, Castrol, Mobil1 ESP, other brands make quality OW-30 oils. Almost all are marketed for European vehicles.

Other than Mobil1 AFE OW-30 I don't see any that have domestic automakers blessings. Pennzoil OW-30 isn't even shown to be ILSAC compliment.

I read that Mobil1 ESP seems to be some very good oil. Not marketed and tested and blessed with any Ford specs.

Ford has said for years in various vehicles that EcoBoost engines that spec 5W-30 can use OW-30 as an alternative and is a recommended in extreme cold but safe in all temperature ranges. This vehicle is no different.

I've searched also for Motorcraft oils. I can't see that Ford and Motorcraft even manufacturer a OW-30 oil of their own.

I'd probably run a quality 5W-30 oil but I see no harm in an oil that's thinner at a cold start and can possibly flow fractions of a second quicker to engine parts.

Looks like Mobil1 AFE OW-30 seems the only viable oil brand

I recall reading some posts and UOAs that Motorcraft oil does very well in EcoBoost engines. Or is it the engine that's doing well with Motorcraft oil? :eek:
Who makes it for Ford?

I agree with the post above, 0W oils contain more viscosity index improvers and pour point depressants. I am unaware of any 0W 30 or 40 oils that don't shear significantly in hard use. Considering that turbocharged, direct injection engines are rough on oil, why the choice?

I'd choose the most robust 5W-30 full synthetic you can find and change it at 5000 mile intervals.

The prior version of AFE 0w30 was one of the least shear stable oils I can think of. Never liked it bc of that. I often wonder if it was intentional to gain a few MPG hence the AFE name. Ya never know. With that said the viscometrics changed for the Triple Action version so it may be more shear stable. It's still designed as an economy grade oil though. I'd opt for a 5w30 instead.

Last edited:
Embrace the power of Mobil 1 FS 0W-40 API SP to keep your engine immaculate and running smoothly. This top-tier, mass-produced motor oil is fortified with a high concentration of detergents, dispersants, friction modifiers, ZDDP, cleaning esters, and alkylated naphthalene. Together, these ingredients make it a powerhouse product, standing shoulder to shoulder with other oils in the FS family.

If you're dealing with the 2.0L EcoBoost engine, notorious for its soot production, fuel dilution issues, and tendency to run hot, you need a motor oil that is more than just adequate. You need a robust, reliable ally that can effectively manage these challenges over the long haul.

Consider broadening your options with @High Performance Lubricants, particularly their PCMO and Super Car lineups. These oils are designed with enhanced cleaning capabilities and anti-wear properties, offering your engine an additional layer of protection.

Ultimately, the choice is yours. However, bear in mind that these recommendations come from years of hands-on experience with GDI, T-GDI, and big-bore V8 engines. Each of these engines, known for their "dirty" reputation, requires sturdy motor oils to keep them clean and running at peak performance. So, choose wisely, and let your engine thank you for it!

vavoline European 0w-30 is a really good spec. oil, its sn rated and worth a look ,hard to find,may have to order,exceptional engine oil for multi. applications

The prior version of AFE 0w30 was one of the least shear stable oils I can think of. Never liked it bc of that. I often wonder if it was intentional to gain a few MPG hence the AFE name. Ya never know. With that said the viscometrics changed for the Triple Action version so it may be more shear stable. It's still designed as an economy grade oil though. I'd opt for a 5w30 instead.
There is a recent Mobil 1 0w-30 that was stellar that stayed in grade

I've searched also for Motorcraft oils. I can't see that Ford and Motorcraft even manufacturer a OW-30 oil of their own.
Behold Ford's refinery, where they manufacture all Motorcraft products:

1684253992850.jpg

The Valvoline full synthetics in 5w30 are SP, meet the Ford spec, and are thicker than most with an HTHS of 3.2. It's what I'm planning on using in the new Mustang. Historically Valvoline products do pretty well with fuel dilution which is appropriate for an EcoBoost.

The Mobil products your mentioned are excellent as well. More important IMO with an EcoBoost not to overextend it than what you actually use.

Does your climate require the use of 0W-30 instead of 5W-30?
A 5W-30 oil will work fine for me.
I coming from another Ford vehicle where 5W-20 is the spec oil. I use a full synthetic oil.
I've been using OW-20 pretty much since vehicle was new. Ford allows OE-20 or 5W-20.
Similar spec works for FORD engines using 5W-30 oil. Ford allows 5W-30 or a OW-30 grade oil.

I probably just use a quality 5W-20 oil. My choice of oil is usually Castrol Edge or Mobil 1 Truck & SUV oil.
I don't see a need for me ever be necessary that I must have a OW-30 oil. 5W-30 will do fine for me.

A 5W-30 oil will work fine for me.
I coming from another Ford vehicle where 5W-20 is the spec oil. I use a full synthetic oil.
I've been using OW-20 pretty much since vehicle was new. Ford allows OE-20 or 5W-20.
Similar spec works for FORD engines using 5W-30 oil. Ford allows 5W-30 or a OW-30 grade oil.
Automakers recommend grades, not allow them. Especially winter ratings. Those are both 20-grade oils.

Back