OW-30 oil choices for domestic vehicles?

Embrace the power of Mobil 1 FS 0W-40 API SP to keep your engine immaculate and running smoothly. This top-tier, mass-produced motor oil is fortified with a high concentration of detergents, dispersants, friction modifiers, ZDDP, cleaning esters, and alkylated naphthalene. Together, these ingredients make it a powerhouse product, standing shoulder to shoulder with other oils in the FS family.

If you're dealing with the 2.0L EcoBoost engine, notorious for its soot production, fuel dilution issues, and tendency to run hot, you need a motor oil that is more than just adequate. You need a robust, reliable ally that can effectively manage these challenges over the long haul.

Consider broadening your options with @High Performance Lubricants, particularly their PCMO and Super Car lineups. These oils are designed with enhanced cleaning capabilities and anti-wear properties, offering your engine an additional layer of protection.

Ultimately, the choice is yours. However, bear in mind that these recommendations come from years of hands-on experience with GDI, T-GDI, and big-bore V8 engines. Each of these engines, known for their "dirty" reputation, requires sturdy motor oils to keep them clean and running at peak performance. So, choose wisely, and let your engine thank you for it!
An exhaust cat-back system fixed the fuel dilution and other issues on my daughter's 2014 2L Escape. Power and fuel economy improved.
No oil consumption with XW40s.

face-palm-omg.gif

You’ve chosen your grade based on viscosity concerns.

So, if the question is now, “Should I use Valvoline, Mobil, Castro, or Pennzoil?”

My answer would be:
Yes.

Valvoline, Pennzoil and Castrol do not have 0w30 that are LSPI mitigating unfortunately. They do have 5w30.

I hope those are not in response to anything I posted?

Certainly the last time I spoke with Valvoline Castrol and Pennzoil a few months ago they confirmed to me that they do not have lspi mitigating oils in 0w30 but has this changed?

Last edited:
View attachment 157107

Can you explain LSPI to us without using Google, like we're five year olds?

Here's a thread I did on it.

Regardless it's the interaction between Fuel and oil droplets in the combustion chamber at extremely high cylinder pressures but low piston speeds. Think of it in layperson's terms as when you're lugging the engine.

During those times you get unintended ignition which I've seen literally blow piston ringland areas into chunks.

It's one of the absolute number one killers of small displacement turbocharged engines.

And as I said neither Pennzoil Castrol or Valvoline currently has a 0w30 oil that is lspi mitigating

There are plenty of great articles on it if you weren't sure I'd be happy to link you to

Here's a piston pulled from an Alfa Giulia 2.0 turbo gdi.

The vehicle has 4k mile changes of liqui moly 0w30. A great oil. Just not a great oil for a small displacement turbo charged engine as it was not formulated to mitigate lspi...

DSCN6272.JPG.jpg

Last edited:
Does your climate require 0W-30 over 5W-30?

Not at all I live in Florida so I've had no issue using 5W-30 that is api sp. If the original poster doesn't live anywhere where he is starting the car at -22 c or less than 5W-30 is a good option but again when mobile 1 0w30 AFE exists you might as well just use that at that price.

Forget about 0W-30 oils, just pick the best full synthetic API rated SP 5W-30 oil you can find and use that. Mind the OCI and monitor the oil usage (if any).

Personally:
In the wife's car, that might be the Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5W-30 or the Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30 in the Turbo Sorento SX.
In my daily ride, that might be Castrol Edge Euro 0W-40 or Pennzoil Platinum Euro 0W-40 (the Pennzoil get the edge at the moment being made from NG) in the Turbo Optima SX.

YMMV

Forget about 0W-30 oils, just pick the best full synthetic API rated SP 5W-30 oil you can find and use that. Mind the OCI and monitor the oil usage (if any).

Personally:
In the wife's car, that might be the Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5W-30 or the Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30 in the Turbo Sorento SX.
In my daily ride, that might be Castrol Edge Euro 0W-40 or Pennzoil Platinum Euro 0W-40 (the Pennzoil get the edge at the moment being made from NG) in the Turbo Optima SX.

YMMV

Great recommendation.

Last time I looked there are three certified lspi mitigating 0w30 oils in the USA on shelves:

M1 0w30 AFE
Mopar Max Pro plus 0w30
BMW Twin Power TPT 0w30

There's an absolute ton of 5w30 oils though like the pp 5w30 you mentioned and a bunch of motuls etc.

Back