Pentosin HP II 5w40 formula change

Hope this is the right place to post, it is both diesel and European, if not please move to the correct area.

Either way, I have a 2006 VW Jetta TDI with the cam eating PD engine, just flipped 250k miles. It has a new cam and lifters in it, done about 13k ago with no issues. I have been using the Pentosin HP II 5w40 oil as it is what Frank06 recommends for his cam packages. I figure that it is safe to assume that is a good choice if he recommends it. Now, I did not get his cam package it is just a regular cam for the BEW engine, mine is a BRM. Used that cam since it is a milder grind and tends to have less issues in the long run. Didn't know how well the engine ran when I bought it so it didn't make sense to go all out not knowing if it even runs okay. It does drive fine and is a great car!

At my most recent oil change I realized that the specs had changed on the bottle of the oil and not sure if it is still a good choice? It seems that it is now rated for VW 511 and only "recommended" for VW 505.01 applications. If my car didn't have the cam eating engine, I wouldn't worry about it too much. But I really do not want to lose a cam and lifters because of the wrong oil choice. Does anyone know if this reduced emissions formula is a bad idea to use? I am including pictures of the back of both bottles below:

I know in the case of the clean diesels they use the emissions friendly oil (VW 507.00 5w30) and it is robust. But that oil really wasn't a great choice for the older TDI engines due to viscosity and altered additive package. So I wonder if this is the same scenario? I know VW 511.00 oils are basically a thicker version of the 508.00 oils which are also meant for emissions more than anything.

61ZLLLX0PhL._AC_SX679_.jpg

71jTtK3bRHL._AC_SX679_.jpg

Back