amsoil ame 15w40 in a vw pd engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pablo:
"-- the oil has quieted down the engine significantly"

UMM! Adding STP ot other thickeners often caused a reduction in noise, but it also formed sludge and caused a horrific increase in engine wear. The relationship between diesel noise and good running conditions is a complex one, but the change from a 30 to a 40 weight is audible in many engines.

Wifes Clio dci was a little quieter on tickover. Has had this tiny tinkling sound? Since we bought it. On ELF and Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel 0w40.

Put in Mobil 1 New Life 0w40 and never heard it again.

Especially confusing as apparently they are the same oil.

Though I suspect they just have same specs. As they certainly don't smell/feel.the.same.

Originally Posted By: skyship
One of the worst things you can do is use 15/40 truck oil in a diesel car. Any approved fully synthetic 5/40 oil that has lots of zinc addites is the solution, although driver style does matter. When you start a TDI never touch the accelerator for at least 30 seconds and then keep the revs as low as practical until the engine is fully warmed up. If you like racing starts then fit an engine pre heater.
It might even be worth looking at using a zinc additive if you can't find a good 5/40 oil and as I am curious to know what the experts at Liqui Moly say. It would be good to know the exact type of VW car and engine you are concerned about to see what is available.

Are you putting Amsoil 15W-40 AME in the same category as the dino 15w-40's? That is painting with a broad brush.

Also, if you have to play junior chemist with your oil then you need to find a better oil.

WOW!

Pablo:
"-- the oil has quieted down the engine significantly"

UMM! Adding STP ot other thickeners often caused a reduction in noise, but it also formed sludge and caused a horrific increase in engine wear. The relationship between diesel noise and good running conditions is a complex one, but the change from a 30 to a 40 weight is audible in many engines.

Good God man you do go on. I'm not even sure you understand half of what you post. First of all, putting quotes on a statement like that, makes it seem as if I said that. I clearly did not. Second of all you are ranting about relatively higher viscosity oil and sludge and who knows what......get back on topic and don't put words in my mouth and don't make leaps. I stated my preference for 5W-40. The OP choose synthetic 15W-40. His engine is not going to explode, or implode into a ball of black goo anytime soon.

Originally Posted By: 2004tdigls
and yes i know it does not comply with vw 505.01 requirements, but there are numerous pd engines over at the tdiclub eating their cams on 5w30 vw approved 505.01 oils

my rationale is this, the oil has a very high Zn and P concentration, cold start up here in the BC Metro is not a problem because of the mild climate, and the extra viscosity should protect my cam and lifters

comments please

http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/ame.aspx

Everyone I know around here that runs PDs, including ALL the VW dealer mechanics, is running T6 in them, with great results.

But I'm sure whatever the equivalent Amsoil product is will also work well in it.

I would also have no reservations running Schaeffers Supreme 9000 in a PD.

No it should be compared to an Amsoil 5/40, but the relationship in terms of viscosity and wear metals will be similar. I could not find comparitive figures for a fully synthetic 15/40 from LM as they don't make one.
The 15/40 might be OK in a hot desert or with a full engine pre heater in a truck, but using it in a car is odd.
Some of the BMW forum averaged UOA's did show up that a good dino or part synthetic like Castrol GTX can come close to the best of the full synthetics (It beat Mobil 1) if you don't push the OCI limits.

Last edited:
Appologies to Pablo, as I put his name on something from digis in the original post. Just mis read the label and to make things worse I agree with Pablo that the 5/40 makes more sense, so that post finished up backwards in effect. The noise part is correct though.

Last edited:
The 15/40 might be OK in a hot desert or with a full engine pre heater in a truck, but using it in a car is odd.

My comment here is more of a generalization than a specific comment as to whether or not the 15w-40 is an appropriate choice in the original question. At least in North America, synthetic 15w-40 HDEOs are comparatively rare. The ones that I can think of off the top of my head are Amsoil and Royal Purple.

I'm not sure about Amsoil's cold weather specifications, but Royal Purple's 15w-40 cold weather specifications, for instance, are nothing to sneeze at. Its MRV is less than half that of most of its conventional competitors. The RP's MRV at -25 C is 15,000 cP. Mobil Delvac 1300 Super 15w-40's MRV at -25 C is -29,000 cP. Neither is an ideal Arctic oil, but I know which one I'd choose if I were forced to use 15w-40 in the winter, and I've used plenty of oils in -40 C that didn't have much better cold specification than that RP.

Originally Posted By: Garak

My comment here is more of a generalization than a specific comment as to whether or not the 15w-40 is an appropriate choice in the original question. At least in North America, synthetic 15w-40 HDEOs are comparatively rare. The ones that I can think of off the top of my head are Amsoil and Royal Purple.

I'm not sure about Amsoil's cold weather specifications, but Royal Purple's 15w-40 cold weather specifications, for instance, are nothing to sneeze at. Its MRV is less than half that of most of its conventional competitors. The RP's MRV at -25 C is 15,000 cP. Mobil Delvac 1300 Super 15w-40's MRV at -25 C is -29,000 cP. Neither is an ideal Arctic oil, but I know which one I'd choose if I were forced to use 15w-40 in the winter, and I've used plenty of oils in -40 C that didn't have much better cold specification than that RP.

A full synthetic oil will always beat a conventional oil of the same winter viscosity, BUT if you compare like with like a 5/40 is always better than a 15/40 in cold start and wear terms.
I am not disputing that Amsoil 15/40 is a good 15/40 and better than the conventional dino 15/40 oils, it is just an odd choice of viscosity range for a car diesel engine.
In my opinion you either go for a cheap special offer approved dino 5/40 that has a good reputation and change it on a more regular basis, OR use a top quality fully synthetic 5/40 and then extend the service interval to justify the extra cost. The wear figures will only be slightly worse with the dino oil if you use the correct OCI.

Last edited:
The point I'm making is that certain synthetic 15w-40s we see around here may actually not fall technically within the 15w-40 specification. It's been a bone of contention for several on here, with some of us theorizing that the only reason that 15w-40 synthetic HDEOs are offered is because there are many that are very old school and wouldn't put anything other than a 15w-40 in a diesel, while these 15w-40 synthetics are actually closer to a 5w-40. Others have argued that this is a major violation of API regulations and is not allowed.

A synthetic will certainly beat a conventional oil of the same viscosity for winter specifications, usually, but I have seen the odd exception in some product lines, but even in those cases, the difference was hair-splitting. However, the example I gave is the widest spread I've ever seen between two modern, CJ-4 15w-40s.

In North America, too, you have to remember that our experiences with diesel powered cars has been limited and, generally, less than stellar. GM brought out a few dogs back in the day, and they tended to use 15w-40, since that's simply how it was done then.

On the other hand, VW brought some fine engines to North America, but we had dealers that had zero clue about the oil specifications and tended to use PCMOs in them. I suspect that's a significant reason as to why we continue to have VW diesel owners in North America relentlessly searching for alternative lubes. If the dealer can't service them correctly with their access to approved lubes (which many didn't use in the first place), it's no wonder that people look for alternatives.

If I had a VW diesel and was saddled with the dealer trying to put 5w-30 API/ILSAC GTX or Syntec into the thing, I'd probably be looking at 15w-40, too.

Is there a VOA for this Amsoil available to check what the viscosity is?
The VW TDI engines suffered more than most from the changes to oil specs (reduced Zinc etc) in the US as a result of the changes to the emission system requirements, BUT the stupidity of Audi and some other German diesel car dealers in the US should not be overlooked, as they caused a lot of sludge problems and blown turbos in particular because of using the new long OCI's, BUT not using the new synthetic oils, just what they had available.

I just checked the Amsoil specs (for both their synthetic 15w-40 HDEOs) at the Amsoil site. They don't list the MRVs, but they do list the CCVs, and by making a rough guess, they're probably comparable to RP's offering, though RP's pour point is a little lower, for what that's worth. Pablo might have more information on the MRV of Amsoil's 15w-40 offerings.

Remember, though, that the VW diesels in North America, at least in recent memory, were supposed to be using specified oils anyhow, not the North American oils that had reduced ZDDP. If I were running a VW diesel that predated the VW numbered specs, I'd certainly be looking at using something with higher ZDDP, be it a recent HDEO or something with an obsolete diesel specification that still actually met that obsolete specification. But, to get something like the latter choice, one can wind up having to buy synthetics anyhow, since there aren't a lot of oils out there that carry the CF spec anyhow, and being an obsolete spec, I doubt there's a lot of policing going on with respect to its use.

A lot of the diesel owners on this side of the pond had a real nightmare with VW/Audi service. Nonsense like this still haunts VW/Audi dealerships to this day. I tend not to let dealerships change my oil, but I'd be doubly certain of that if I were to purchase a VW or Audi - free oil changes or not.

At least if I want to cheap out on my oil choice, I would do so willingly and with enough sense to run a suitably short OCI.

Uh, according to the Maple Ridge (45 km East of Vancouver, B.C.) website the average LOW temp in December through January is 36-39 degrees F...

Not exactly Nome, is it?

Actually, more like PDX...

AME (if not in VOA Warranty) s/b A-OK!

(IMHO)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back