$41K for a 2 door Wrangler Sport

The crank window thing might also have to do with cheaper easily removeable doors.

They are full doors though. It's not like it's a half door with plastic windows or something. Full doors is already selling out on the rubber duckie lifestyle, may as well get some power windows too.

I've been on the hunt for a clean Jeep TJ and even those prices are way up. I'm in no hurry and will wait it out.
I don't even want a new one at all. It would kill me to pay $40k for something to take out and pinstripe day
one in the local hills.
Even the Cherokee’s are getting outrageous! I’ve seen a lot of used TJ’s and JK’s in the same price range as an 80 series Land Cruiser. Granted the mileage was considerably lower on the Jeep, but for the same money, I would still buy the Land Cruiser. I love Jeeps, but for the same money, LC all day long.
It seems that people have lost their minds when it comes to what they think their rig is worth. With that said, people keep flocking to dealerships and paying over MSRP for new and well over book values for used. 🙄

So if you don't have body damage and break stuff you're not into your Jeep? Gotta disagree. Yes, pretenders buy a Jeep for a while and don't like it for it's Jeepness and sell it. Jeep people like their Jeep for what it is and use it how they want. I know both kinds. So what? Look at it this way, someday the people who don't beat on their $50k Rubicons will trade or sell them and "real" Jeep guys can buy them and beat them up having their own fun. All good.
My stock 02 has seen more trails and off road than 90% of the lifted ones you see around town.

LR build quality, fit and finish is better and that’s all that matters under warranty. people who can afford them know they drive better than the competition.
I've looked at both over the years. LR is overpriced (to me) for what you get. I am not interested in impressing anyone and I don't care about color either. LR just wasn't impressive at all for the extra money.

Having said that, the LR dealership was hyping how "do you know so and so?" and listing off "big" names here in town to show who is who and such. Again, couldn't care one way or the other who bought one.

I'm looking for utility, dealer network, repair parts availability, etc. LR is lacking in two of those three departments.

Jeep won out. Wife has been very happy with it ever since.

So if you don't have body damage and break stuff you're not into your Jeep? Gotta disagree. Yes, pretenders buy a Jeep for a while and don't like it for it's Jeepness and sell it. Jeep people like their Jeep for what it is and use it how they want. I know both kinds. So what? Look at it this way, someday the people who don't beat on their $50k Rubicons will trade or sell them and "real" Jeep guys can buy them and beat them up having their own fun. All good.
I have a 1998 TJ Wrangler. Once summer hits the doors/roof stay in the garage until fall. I've owned some kind of Jeep since I was 16. I like that they are DIY friendly, you can modify just about anything on them, and the open air experience. The most mine has seen as far as wheeling has been dirt roads, but then again there is no legal offroading unless you go several states away. I would like to take it to Moab though.

LR build quality, fit and finish is better and that’s all that matters under warranty. people who can afford them know they drive better than the competition.
Funny, my last two Grand Cherokee's (and a Trailblazer in between) are what finally sold me on Rovers. I figured if I was going to deal w/ reliability issues, I'd get what I really wanted and have a much better interior. Your higher trim levels, on the Jeeps, should not have had cracking vinyl on the 'leather faced' seats and dash nor the myriad electrical and transmission issues they had. Modern Jeep products are much, much better.

Ironically, our Rovers have been very good reliability wise. I would not, and didn't, touch any Rover (besides the classic toys) until 2012 or so....

Funny, my last two Grand Cherokee's (and a Trailblazer in between) are what finally sold me on Rovers. I figured if I was going to deal w/ reliability issues, I'd get what I really wanted and have a much better interior. Your higher trim levels, on the Jeeps, should not have had cracking vinyl on the 'leather faced' seats and dash nor the myriad electrical and transmission issues they had. Modern Jeep products are much, much better.

Ironically, our Rovers have been very good reliability wise. I would not, and didn't, touch any Rover (besides the classic toys) until 2012 or so....
you are however selling the ford era short, the Discovery 3, early RR Sport and LR2 were certainly much better to own long term than anything in their current lineup.

Jeep has of course undergone a miraculous transformation into a premium upmarket brand mostly thanks to Dr.Fiat

you are however selling the ford era short, the Discovery 3, early RR Sport and LR2 were certainly much better to own long term than anything in their current lineup.

Jeep has of course undergone a miraculous transformation into a premium upmarket brand mostly thanks to Dr.Fiat
Probably over the long term being somewhat simpler and with more common components, but I knew enough folks who had them at the time and had problems with them, that I would not touch a LR as a daily until a while later. My first was a '12. They were certainly better than anything since the early 70's. The modern ones are fine and our four (since '12) have been relatively painless and better than our friends' Ford era ones. Are they Toyota/Honda?? No, never expected them to be, but I'd compare them to most current European makes. That said, I don't keep mine past 90k or so and can't really speak to the current series long term prospects. I can guess though, hence why we don't own them too long:)

Last edited:
210k on my LR3, never left me stranded. Same with my 05 Liberty with 223k, never left me stranded. Both have taken me off roading in places across the country in complete comfort and confidence. It's why I kept them when I "upgraded" to a 17 Disco and an 18 JLU Sahara. The people that hate on LRs are the ones usually too broke to afford them or to maintain them properly. Yes, they are higher maintenance, but no one makes something else with the blend of comfort/luxury and capability, although I will say the new JL wranglers with the leather seats/dash with all the options (like my Sahara) are very very very nice to drive on road and still the undisputed king off road. Plus can take the top and doors off!

Back