Interesting UOA Comparison Under Way, Jeep 3.6 x2

Just out of morbid curiosity, I've got 2 initial UOA's here, both on Jeep 3.6 variations. The first Jeep had its initial oil change at 2,007 miles. The 2nd at 4,658.

So here are the Jeeps:

Jeep 1 2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 3.6 Pentastar, ESS using the starter motor, 6 speed manual transmission. It currenty has about 55k miles on it.

Jeep 2 2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 3.6 Pentastar, Etorque (belt start generator), 8 speed auto transmission.

Other than the ESS/Etorque and transmissions, both 3.6 engines are the same, minor unseen model year updates notwithdstanding.

Jeep 1 never uses ESS. I don't like the wear on the starter motor and while it is ok, the ESS isn't exactly smooth. You can't take off quickly by dumping the clutch or it can stall and you have to hit the start button to turn off the ignition, then restart. It only happened to me a couple times, but it is a pain in the butt. I'm also keeping this Jeep until I croak or it can't be serviced. It has a nearly bumper to bumper lifetime warranty. I don't trust ESS to get this engine past 300k, let alone 200k. I feel that there is extra wear with ESS. Time will tell with these things, but mine is going for the 500k trophy and I'm very confident it will get there. This Jeep also sees very spirited driving with plenty of high rpm, full throttle runs. Why? Because it is fun and the engine sounds amazing (Magnaflow axle back exhaust). It loves to rev. Yes, a lifted off-road Jeep can be very fun on twisty roads. Nearly as much so as on a rocky trail in Moab or in the mud in Kentucky. When cruising, it will see slightly higher RPM than Jeep 2, as well (2450rpm @75mph, for example. I re-geared from 4.10 to 4.56 to make 6th gear useable. Otherwise, with 35" tires, it was too tall). Jeep 2's auto keeps rpms lower. Jeep 1 also does more highway driving than Jeep 2. Significantly more. Jeep also 1 sees heavy off roading 5 or 6 times a year with long highway drives to and from. 2020 saw a round trip to Moab with a full week of rock crawling and exploring and then again in October it saw a 3k mile trip to Vermont/New Hampshire/Maine for an overlanding expedition. Jeep 1 is lifted with 35" mud tires and 4.56 axle gearing and some added weight with steel bumpers, winch and a little bit of extra weight in protection for the differentials.

Jeep 2 uses E-torque. Why? It does much more city driving and E-torque sees about 1 to 3 mpg better than Jeep 1 in the city with it. It's engagement is smooth as silk. Almost imperceptible. The E-torque's efficiency appears to be maximized with my wife's (it's her Jeep) driving style. Plus, she can't remember to turn it off, again, because it is almost imperceptible. She rarely punches the throttle, so this thing won't see a driving pattern as spirited as mine. She doesn't granny it but doesn't drive for peformance, either. She does a mix of city/highway, with much more stop/go than Jeep 1 sees. And then there's the auto transmission, which loves to keep rpms nice and low. Jeep 1 cruises between 1700 and 2450, with 2k being where I try to keep it most of the time. Being a manual, I never let it Jeep 1 below 1600 when cruising. I think Jeep 2 sees rpm south of 1600 when cruising at times by the nature of the auto. Jeep 2 will go off road, but not nearly as often. Jeep 2 is a stock Rubicon and will have a little less weight. It runs 33" mud tires with 4.10 axle ratio. It currently does not have any extra weight in skid plates and no winch. It also has standard plastic bumpers. I'd imagine the weight difference between the two Jeeps to be around 200lbs, give or take a little.

So really it is apples to oranges somewhat, but still the same engine and almost the same vehicles. I won't be doing UOA's as often, but will look at comparible points in terms of mileage.

So the first comparison is with the factory fill oil. Jeep 1 was purchased brand new and was delivered with about 30 miles on it. (The dealer folks drove it around a bit. It was one of their first JL Wranglers and one of the first in the midwest delivered with a manual transmission. I don't blame them for trying it out, Lol.) Jeep 2 was bought used with 4600 miles on it, still on the factory fill oil, according to the previous owner.

Jeep 1 factory fill UOA @ 2007 miles:
wLOGsMJ.png

Jeep 2 UOA on factory fill @4658 miles

IYogADp.png

So again, I'm doing this simply out of curiousity and not so much to draw any major conclusions, because I think there are too many variables. But specific points of curiosity involve using the start/stop in Jeep 2 and really the very different driving profiles of 2 very similar Jeeps.

I'll run various oils. My preferred oil/filter combo is Mobil 1 EP 0w20 with a Fram Ultra filter. (2nd round on the same Fram XG) I like the PAO in that oil. But I've also run PUP 0w20, Shell RGT 0w20, and Mobil 1 AFE 0w20 in Jeep 1. I could see Red Line or Mobil 1 ESP X2 slipping in there at some point, too. I also will occasionally run a Mobil 1 oil filter. I don't care for their efficiency, but I bought a stash of them on clearance for $3 a pop and will ultimately run through them (I'll give a few to family and friends, too. I think I have 12 of them.)

Jeep 1 is approaching 5k on Shell RGT right now with a Fram XG and Jeep 2 is on a short run (maybe 3k to 5k?) on Supertech 20k 0w20 and a Mobil 1 filter. My preference is 5k OCI's with both Jeeps. But I'm not averse to going 8k on occasion, which gets the OLM down to around 10%, typically.

Anyway, the data in the UOA's looks pretty consistent, to me, given the mileage. I have no clue as to what the factory fill was for either, other than being 0w20. I was guessing Pennzoil Gold was a good guess at the time for Jeep 1, but I think that stuff has disappeared since then. SOPUS was pushing it as their economical 0w20 at the time.

Jeep 2 will close the gap on the mileage over time. It gets driven every day all over the place. I typically drive Jeep 1 on weekends while driving my trusty old JK to work on most days.

Anyway, I'd love to hear your thoughts! @OIL_UDDER and @CarbonSteel ....You guys might be interested in this little comparo.

IndyFan, thanks for the reports. I was trying to get a couple 2021 Ram 1500’s last year and I wanted both with the 3.6L e-Torque. In my research iirc, the 2019 and newer ram 1500’s with e-Torque all came factory filled with 0w20 ( it was assumed to be Pennzoil Gold based on the additive package) and everything before that year was 5w20 Pennzoil Yellow Bottle conventional.(Again based on the additive package) For your 2018 Jeep based on the 253 ppm of Molybdenum I’m pretty sure that matches up pretty good with voa’s from the same time period of PYB. Anyways, it will be interesting to see how or if the wear rates are different for both vehicles. I’m in the same situation, I never did get the Rams, but ended up with two 2021 F-150’s with the 2.7L ecoboost engine. Like you, my wife and I have different driving styles so I’m also interested in taking some samples from both to compare. The auto start/stop on both our trucks was disabled at the factory due to the chip shortage so we don’t have that to deal with. I was really looking forward to trying out the e-Torque though, the lease numbers just were not there for the Ram’s and we went with the f-150’s. I’m getting ready to do the first oil changes on these trucks, if I do end up getting samples maybe we can share our future results.

IndyFan, thanks for the reports. I was trying to get a couple 2021 Ram 1500’s last year and I wanted both with the 3.6L e-Torque. In my research iirc, the 2019 and newer ram 1500’s with e-Torque all came factory filled with 0w20 ( it was assumed to be Pennzoil Gold based on the additive package) and everything before that year was 5w20 Pennzoil Yellow Bottle conventional.(Again based on the additive package) For your 2018 Jeep based on the 253 ppm of Molybdenum I’m pretty sure that matches up pretty good with voa’s from the same time period of PYB. Anyways, it will be interesting to see how or if the wear rates are different for both vehicles. I’m in the same situation, I never did get the Rams, but ended up with two 2021 F-150’s with the 2.7L ecoboost engine. Like you, my wife and I have different driving styles so I’m also interested in taking some samples from both to compare. The auto start/stop on both our trucks was disabled at the factory due to the chip shortage so we don’t have that to deal with. I was really looking forward to trying out the e-Torque though, the lease numbers just were not there for the Ram’s and we went with the f-150’s. I’m getting ready to do the first oil changes on these trucks, if I do end up getting samples maybe we can share our future results.
That's great! One of my employees has an F150 with that engine and loves it.

I just did a 5k UOA on my Jeep using Havoline Pro-DS 0w20. Iron jumped a surprising amount. It isn't bad but certainly way up from the last run with Shell Rotella Gas Truck. I did run the ESS for a little bit when gas spiked, but I also took a long highway drive to Florida, so I'm not sure what to make of it. I put Mobil 1 ESP X2 0w20 in there for this run. We'll see if that Porsche C20 rating is as good as folks around here say it is, Lol!

Looking forward to seeing how those Ecoboosts do! I had a 3.5 Ecoboost and it was a powerhouse! It moved our 15 passenger Transit van around like a toy, even when loaded up with kids!

Back