$41K for a 2 door Wrangler Sport

I've been on the hunt for a clean Jeep TJ and even those prices are way up. I'm in no hurry and will wait it out.
I don't even want a new one at all. It would kill me to pay $40k for something to take out and pinstripe day
one in the local hills.
I was curious about what mine would get me from the various online buyers. Best offer was $1200!

Stealing gas I can't believe that's really happening. People are actually syphoning gas out of cars?
Around here they are punching holes in the bottom of the tank and taking it. Spilling more than getting, but they don't care.

Now that the price of regular unleaded fuel is around $3.40, gasoline theft has dropped way off.

Around here they are punching holes in the bottom of the tank and taking it. Spilling more than getting, but they don't care.

Now that the price of regular unleaded fuel is around $3.40, gasoline theft has dropped way off.
$3.40/gallon, where?

it's a faux 'lifestyle'.....more like a costume for pretenders.

So if you don't have body damage and break stuff you're not into your Jeep? Gotta disagree. Yes, pretenders buy a Jeep for a while and don't like it for it's Jeepness and sell it. Jeep people like their Jeep for what it is and use it how they want. I know both kinds. So what? Look at it this way, someday the people who don't beat on their $50k Rubicons will trade or sell them and "real" Jeep guys can buy them and beat them up having their own fun. All good.

Says the guy who likely didn't spend $40k on his entire 20+ YO fleet. :ROFLMAO: (And richer for it.);)

Jeep people are all in, it's a lifestyle.
Yes, something with Eddie Bauer decals on the doors, power windows, and "Touch Drive" 4WD for $2500 is more my flavor. 🤣

I understand the cult following, but I still can't get past it not having power windows at that price. It's not like there's some sort of added durability/fording a stream capability given all the other electronics in the cabin on a modern vehicle. It's got seat belt pretensioners and all sorts of other stuff that shouldn't get wet/covered in mud either. May as well throw in the basics at that price.

I've never understood why anyone would spend big $ on a Jeep when in most cases there are far, far better choices for the same or less $. You will not find a less reliable, less dependable make reviewed in most car rags than Jeeps. Only a Cult Following could explain how they are hot sellers...cult, because in the face of empirical proof that they are mostly junk, they still sell.

For $1,000 more $, I'd rather have (and do) own a 2022 Toyota Rav4 AWD, Hybrid Limited. Its 0-60 is decent at 7.1 seconds, and it gets 45+ MPG around town and we've often received 60+ MPG around town by trying a tiny bit. Its far more reliable than the Jeep junk, and sips gas too.

Jeeps guzzle gas and what middle-class family benefits from spending a ton of $$ on a an unreliable vehicle that guzzles gas? Cult members have that delusion, I think.

So would a Jeep cult member please explain to me why anyone would spend north of $40k on the least dependable cars sold in the US?

I've never understood why anyone would spend big $ on a Jeep when in most cases there are far, far better choices for the same or less $. You will not find a less reliable, less dependable make reviewed in most car rags than Jeeps. Only a Cult Following could explain how they are hot sellers...cult, because in the face of empirical proof that they are mostly junk, they still sell.

For $1,000 more $, I'd rather have (and do) own a 2022 Toyota Rav4 AWD, Hybrid Limited. Its 0-60 is decent at 7.1 seconds, and it gets 45+ MPG around town and we've often received 60+ MPG around town by trying a tiny bit. Its far more reliable than the Jeep junk, and sips gas too.

Jeeps guzzle gas and what middle-class family benefits from spending a ton of $$ on a an unreliable vehicle that guzzles gas? Cult members have that delusion, I think.

So would a Jeep cult member please explain to me why anyone would spend north of $40k on the least dependable cars sold in the US?
From our personal experience;

Because they are an open, simple (for a current vehicle), small, off road capable and fun vehicle. Some folks value fun more than outright reliability and other quantifiable attributes. The RAV Hybrid is a great vehicle for what it is, I have driven them, a wonderfully reliable appliance, but some folks want more of a driving experience than an unengaging appliance provides.

Is the Wrangler as reliable as your Toyota? No, not in anyone's dreams, and frankly we don't care and probably neither do most owners. Ergonomics on the Wrangler? Sub-par, we got used to them. Mileage? Same...aware of the obvious and not high on our list of concerns.

My Wife bought a '21 Wrangler Sport, manual transmission and windows, soft top that hasn't been up since mid June. Ours is a Cape house and beach permit car and is perfect for the role...I tried to talk her into an older NAS Defender, no luck. Of current cars, the Jeep (and I'd argue only the current Bronco) is the ideal vehicle for our use and met our wants.

People aren't stupid, well generally, and make their own choices based on their own circumstances. One basic lesson from B school marketing class (the principle also applies a lot to life); provide what people want, not what you think they really should have. Hardly 'delusion'.

Hmmm...then again, looking at my sig (and the Range Rover in the garage) I may not be the best to opine on this or anything involving reliability or sensible transportation decisions;)

Last edited:
From our personal experience;

Because they are an open, simple (for a current vehicle), small, off road capable and fun vehicle. Some folks value fun more than outright reliability and other quantifiable attributes. The RAV Hybrid is a great vehicle for what it is, I have driven them, a wonderfully reliable appliance, but some folks want more of a driving experience than an unengaging appliance provides.

Is the Wrangler as reliable as your Toyota? No, not in anyone's dreams, and frankly we don't care and probably neither do most owners. Ergonomics on the Wrangler? Sub-par, we got used to them. Mileage? Same...aware of the obvious and not high on our list of concerns.

My Wife bought a '21 Wrangler Sport, manual transmission and windows, soft top that hasn't been up since mid June. Ours is a Cape house and beach permit car and is perfect for the role...I tried to talk her into an older NAS Defender, no luck. Of current cars, the Jeep (and I'd argue only the current Bronco) is the ideal vehicle for our use and met our wants.

People aren't stupid, well generally, and make their own choices based on their own circumstances. One basic lesson from B school marketing class (the principle also applies a lot to life); provide what people want, not what you think they really should have. Hardly 'delusion'.

Hmmm...then again, looking at my sig (and the Range Rover in the garage) I may not be the best to opine on this or anything involving reliability or sensible transportation decisions;)
Ok, fair enough...but we are talking real money here...$40,000+. Surely, there should be a limit to how much one pays for vanity, emotion, "fun", and irrationality, right? I'll not define that limit for someone else, however, I will say that spending big $$ on a horrible vehicle should not negatively impact provisions for family, children, college, health costs, vacations, etc...but for those Jeep owners I know personally, it does.

So why did you buy the horrible Range Rover? Bragging rights? Statement purchase? Out do neighbors?

Its a jeep thing......

IIRC back when I was shopping in 2020 a fairly loaded ram 1500 hemi rear locker was over 5000$ cheaper than a stripper gladiator.

The crank window thing might also have to do with cheaper easily removeable doors.

Back