2024 Ram 1500 w/ 5.7L engine requiring 0w-20

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2024 Ram 1500 - and it's requiring 0w-20 oil, which is a new surprise for me, ready for the first oil change.

I normally buy through Costco, and they have the Mobile 1 "Advanced Fuel Economy" oil stocked for $32/6 pack. Mobile 1 shares that it meets or exceeds the Chrysler MS spec. Any concerns on using this oil in a Ram 1500?

I've been using this in our Jeep Grand Cherokee for years, but it has the 3.6L engine - not the 5.7L.

Yeah, I believe 2022+ Ram trucks with the 5.7L started requiring 0w20.

Yes, I have concerns about putting thin black water in the truck - but I also have concerns about warranty implications on using anything else at least while in the powertrain warranty. That's why I want to make sure I'm at least using a good 0w20.

The dealership will never uoa your engine to see what grade it is if you're concerned about warranty work. They'll just check the oil level then look inside the vc to see if it looks clean. I'm using 5w-40 instead of 0w-20 in my 2021's 6.2 and i have zero fears. I'm still under warranty.

The dealership will never uoa your engine to see what grade it is if you're concerned about warranty work. They'll just check the oil level then look inside the vc to see if it looks clean. I'm using 5w-40 instead of 0w-20 in my 2021's 6.2 and i have zero fears. I'm still under warranty.
I don't know if I believe it - but someone shared that a dealership had put the wrong oil in a truck, and it threw a code when they scanned it with StarScan.

Just only sharing what I've seen doing a little research.

I don't know if I believe it - but someone shared that a dealership had put the wrong oil in a truck, and it threw a code when they scanned it with StarScan.

I've heard that as well, but I don't recall if it was with a Pentastar V6 or hemi 5.7. I ran 5w30 in both my 2017 Ram 1500 pentastar and 2019 Ram 1500 hemi. It made me feel better. Pretty sure the engines didn't know the difference. The problem is the record trail should you need to provide records of maintenance for warranty purposes.

Last edited:
If you've ever done an oil change on a car with 0w20, it's about as thin as water...
But I've never seen oil come out of the bottle black. Are you by chance buying oil at Walmart where people will dump used oil back in the jug and return it, then it gets put back on the shelf.

The older 5.7 with the old system did that because they were poorly designed. The new ones don't do that. Many members run 40 grade in theirs with zero issue.

I have a 2024 Ram 1500 - and it's requiring 0w-20 oil, which is a new surprise for me, ready for the first oil change.

I normally buy through Costco, and they have the Mobile 1 "Advanced Fuel Economy" oil stocked for $32/6 pack. Mobile 1 shares that it meets or exceeds the Chrysler MS spec. Any concerns on using this oil in a Ram 1500?

I've been using this in our Jeep Grand Cherokee for years, but it has the 3.6L engine - not the 5.7L.
No

If you've ever done an oil change on a car with 0w20, it's about as thin as water...
It really is. It splashes like actual water when it drains out. After the first time i drained 0w-20 warm I never did again until it was fully cooled down. But i got tired of doing that and switched to 5w-40 by the 14k mark. Splashes less.

Everyone talks about how they are worried about a 0w20 and how it’s “water” yet there are hundreds of thousands if not millions of trucks running just fine for hundreds of thousands of miles. Run what meets spec.

The first problem here is the notion that the engine requires a certain oil grade. It does not. Nor does the owner's manual.

After that it's yet another thick vs. thin thread.

The owners manual calls out a specific oil weight, which for my model year is 0w20
Go with the Mobil-1 EP Triple Action 5w30. Price is best at Walmart.
Buy two jugs and save the remainder for the next OCI.
I get Mobil 1 at Costco for $33/6 pack, plus the 5% or whatever cashback the card offers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back