2024 Altima S vs 2024 Malibu LS

Don't rule out something with AWD like a Acura MDX or Honda CRV.
No need for AWD in New Orleans. MDX and new CRV are considerably more than a Malibu LS ... apples and oranges

Don't believe the base Sonata or K5 have rear parking sensors.

I realize the Camry and Accord are superior, but neither base model has rear parking sensors and paying $6-8k more for something that is just used to go haul groceries or Walmart doesn't seem feasible. Again, I'll only have 20K-30K miles in a decade.

After spending considerable time with both, I'd have a difficult decision turning either of them down.
Especially when you compare them to the sea of boring SUV's.

If I really had to choose, I'd go with the Nissan.
Their front seat comfort is hard to beat.

Both the Malibu and Altima are great choices and I don’t think you could go wrong with either.

After spending considerable time with both, I'd have a difficult decision turning either of them down.
Especially when you compare them to the sea of boring SUV's.

If I really had to choose, I'd go with the Nissan.
Their front seat comfort is hard to beat.
Thanks, that's a consideration too. My back and neck are a mess, hence the desire for the rear remote parking sensors. Having a comfortable seat would also be nice. I was under the impression the Malibu was a more comfortable car than the Altima ... forgot about those zero gravity seats though.

Never owned a Nissan.

It doesn't matter which one you get in New Orleans, there is a good chance it will get stolen or broke into. Altima is popular with many cases of 200k even with the CVT. You could also get better fuel mileage with Altima. My sister just totaled her 2012 Altima with 230k as she works for Doordash.

Test drive them both. Try out all the features you can. I'm biased. :)

Last edited:
Pretty sure the Malibu is going away after this model year, or at least in its current barebones configuration. Not sure of the Altima's future.

On a side note, I'm surprised to read the support for the Malibu. I thought the Altima would be a runaway winner being as the Chevy hasn't been significantly updated in 9 years.

Just a heads up, the Nissan Altima S doesn’t have Apple CarPlay or Android Auto. You have to step up to the Altima SV trim to get CarPlay and Android auto. That’s a big factor for many.

fwiw , ive owed a 2016 , and a 2023 malibu, both with the 1.5tdi engine ,both were great cars , and extremely economical on gas ,cheap and easy to do oil changes, i couldnt recomend the malibu enough , i just recently moved up to an equinox after gm sent me some incentives, good luck in your search

Just a heads up, the Nissan Altima S doesn’t have Apple CarPlay or Android Auto. You have to step up to the Altima SV trim to get CarPlay and Android auto. That’s a big factor for many.
That wouldn't be a deal breaker, but it would be nice to have.

Just discovered a big plus in the Altima's favor ... apparently it does NOT have auto start/stop

fwiw , ive owed a 2016 , and a 2023 malibu, both with the 1.5tdi engine ,both were great cars , and extremely economical on gas ,cheap and easy to do oil changes, i couldnt recomend the malibu enough , i just recently moved up to an equinox after gm sent me some incentives, good luck in your search
Is the performance difference significant with the 1.5t in the malibu vs equinox?

Being a Gm guy I'd take the Altima, It's gonna last longer. The jatco can handle 280 ft lb while the gm cvt is 185 ft lb. The new jatco unit they use is pretty good. Also don't trust the 1.5T, it's a throw away engine even if well cared for.
EVERY word you said is true!

Gen7 was the last best Malibu, still cruising in our 08 LTZ, 3.6 VVT with 85K on the clock and runs as good as the day we bought it. 🍻
1712696066644.jpg

If you didn't want to pay Camry/Accord prices for a base model sedan which, would you choose for a daily commuter?
This is going to be tough! I would be most terrified of a Nissan with the CVT transmission that I believe are made by Jatco as they are utter horrible. Granted if you would have it serviced about every 20,000 miles I think you would be okay but that is definitely a sore topic in the world of Nissan owners. I don't know much about a Chevrolet especially a Malibu. If you're younger and still enjoy putting car parts on a vehicle the aftermarket support is going to be definitely better with the Nissan. Another thought to contend with is a dealership. A car can be mediocre but if you have a good service department that can go a long way. The third would be how long do you plan on keeping this vehicle? As we already know you lose a lot of value on a vehicle once you drive it off the lot but if you're willing to put the time effort and money into a vehicle to get 300,000 miles out of it I think the Nissan may be the better choice as well as it will certainly hold its value better than a Chevy. I would go drive both, find out what you like about both, take someone else with you and you sit in the back seat and see how you like the ride. I wouldn't mess with the audio system as I would want to really see how quiet it is during a drive. Last but not least I would look into the cost to maintain it. Pop the hood and see how easy it is to get to the oil drain plug, to do a transmission fluid exchange and those sorts of issues. Let me know which one you pick hopefully it's the Nissan

Back