How will 2024 CAFE standards impact your buying?

New proposed rules increase 2026 CAFE to 49 mpg in a push toward mandatory electrification. I really didn’t want to buy a new car right now when you have to pay MSRP for a very limited selection, but I may need to snag that ICE Camry before it’s too late. Is anyone else thinking about speeding up a purchase in order to snag a particular model before it goes away?

I presume this will end up in front of the supreme court. I am guessing they will toss it back on congress to vote on - like they did with the earlier EPA efforts.

For those not familiar, the concept is that congress passes laws that give agencies like the EPA authority to regulate emissions. Which is fine, until you get to a "major question" which literally affects everyone, the entire economy, etc.

The court has decided that these agencies don't have a mandate to fundamentally change our world. If congress wants to issue a major rule - they can - by voting on it. They don't get to defer there job to an agency. There vote goes on the record, so we the people know who to vote for or against.

So hopefully this goes to the court, and the courts says if congress wants us to all drive EV's - then vote on it.

Worth a read if you have any interest: https://www.americanbar.org/groups/...y-february-2023/the-major-questions-doctrine/

I don't know how 49mpg CAFE is even possible when so many people buy trucks and SUV'S. I imagine there will be some heavy pushback.

I wonder what the additional environmental impact is for all these cars that breakdown so much faster now. Sure, you get 4 more mpg now but your rings are allowing blowby, your engine is baked in carbon, or your valve train has chewed itself up.

I have nothing against electric vehicles. They were some of the first vehicles made and i think they are awesome for daily activities. They just wont work for most people’s spontaneous lifestyles including mine as a primary vehicle. Its not even really a range issue but a charging speed and charger location issue. You literally cant find a tesla fast charger in the middle of nowhere and also these chargers are often full of other teslas. No one wants to wait in line to then wait some more charging.

It wont... I have a 21 Honda HRV... If I have the same luck like my 07 Accord that I traded in for this in 21 with 386000...I will not need a new car for awhile...

I have nothing against electric vehicles. They were some of the first vehicles made and i think they are awesome for daily activities. They just wont work for most people’s spontaneous lifestyles including mine as a primary vehicle. Its not even really a range issue but a charging speed and charger location issue. You literally cant find a tesla fast charger in the middle of nowhere and also these chargers are often full of other teslas. No one wants to wait in line to then wait some more charging.
You will be forced to change your lifestyle....period, and it will be by Fiat, by the 25% who want you to change. Too many people are too busy living their life to fight back on the forced ultra rapid pathway to a false utopia, where none of the negatives are being look at by the religious.

New proposed rules increase 2026 CAFE to 49 mpg in a push toward mandatory electrification. I really didn’t want to buy a new car right now when you have to pay MSRP for a very limited selection, but I may need to snag that ICE Camry before it’s too late. Is anyone else thinking about speeding up a purchase in order to snag a particular model before it goes away?

It won't. Buying a new car right now sucks unless you need one out of absolute necessity for the reasons you mentioned. No negotiation and possibly over MSRP depending on what you want. I'd love to take a look at a Maverick but ain't gonna bother as I might scream at the Ford dealership people in the showroom....

I'm sure 0W-0 oil will be a big part of it.... Or something equally as stupid.

Em, no. No oil viscosity will improve milage that much. It's about EV, and it's completely unrealistic but the target year is 2032 not 26'. But the infrastructure still will not be in place then for mass EV sales...

My understanding is the 2021 CAFE number is 39mpg so 49mpg isnt that far off. I bet the fleet in the future will include some more hybrids and smaller turbo engines. I personally dont think an EV would work for my type of driving but would seriously consider a hybrid or plug in hybrid.

Poor financial decisions are made based on emotion and fear.
Even if new gas cars become unavailable (they won't) there will be used ones.

If "they" actually get enough power to compel people into electric cars (they won't), they'll also have enough power to raise the gas tax to make it worthwhile. No congress has had the fortitude to do this since 1994! They aren't even able to tie it to inflation!

When buying stocks, or any other investment (cars are NOT an investment), you buy on rumor and sell on news.

However if one wanted to buy the last traditional gasser, a camry is a wise choice. (y)

You will be forced to change your lifestyle....period, and it will be by Fiat, by the 25% who want you to change. Too many people are too busy living their life to fight back on the forced ultra rapid pathway to a false utopia, where none of the negatives are being look at by the religious.
HUH? Actually, if every home had a Fiat, there would be no need for EVs. It's only because Americans feel the need to drive 10-15 mpg gas guzzling trucks and SUVs that spew out tons of green house gases instead of 40 mpg Fiats, that the government wants to push EVs so much.

HUH? Actually, if every home had a Fiat, there would be no need for EVs. It's only because Americans feel the need to drive 10-15 mpg gas guzzling trucks and SUVs that spew out tons of green house gases instead of 40 mpg Fiats, that the government wants to push EVs so much.
The irony..........., this comment of twisting "Fiat", by a Washington DC'er. Say it isn't so. More BS from a BS city/district.

Back