2023 Toyota Camry 2.5 oil choice

Floor ri duh? Any synth 5w30 or maybe 0w20 is where I would start

Peanut Filter... Fram orange can or the Supertech MP ... if no one is looking, test for trial fit for the bigger filters or that VW OE filter

Unfortunately, there are few choices of 0W16 at the local level compared to other viscosities modern vehicles use.

As a Corolla Hybrid owner, my goal is to make other varieties of 0W16 more available, so I won't give the default use Mobil1 answer.

Seek out Kendall GT-1 Max 0W16 people.

It takes 0w16. I haven't heard much about TGMO lately. Is it still liquid gold or should I just use Mobil 1 0w16? Plan on using an OEM oil filter.
I got an idea....Why not use what Toyota recommends in the owners book....They built the car not the people on this site ...Plus you are under a warranty...and dont you get free oil changes for 2 years too???

Probably going to stick with 0w16 during warranty period. First time with Toyota, if something goes wrong I don't want to fuss about the wrong oil type.
I think you’re making a good choice, they want you to use it, probably best to while it’s under warranty. Until then, do some research and see what others are doing with your same vehicle. I’m sure out of warranty you’ll find that maybe a 0w20 will be ok. Although I did read somewhere that your engine is “sensitive” to the 0W16 and to use it? I think it was the car car nut that said that - and he’s a master certified Toyota tech.

I think you’re making a good choice, they want you to use it, probably best to while it’s under warranty. Until then, do some research and see what others are doing with your same vehicle. I’m sure out of warranty you’ll find that maybe a 0w20 will be ok. Although I did read somewhere that your engine is “sensitive” to the 0W16 and to use it? I think it was the car car nut that said that - and he’s a master certified Toyota tech.
No engine is sensitive like that.

And Car Care Nut doesn’t know what he’s talking about in that video. It’s been posted and discussed here a few times.

In ours I plan to use M1 0W16 and an OEM filter for the warranty period. Then I might switch to 0W20 afterwards, not sure. Might just stick with 0W16 as I’m not convinced that this engine lives a hard life: it’s relatively disconnected from the wheels, for all I know it’s prevented from being heavily loaded until oil pressure is up after any start (or restart), the battery is capable of high output for a short period of time.

What I’m not sure about is rings sticking. I don’t follow the debate about NOACK etc but I thought there was some antidotal evidence about oil burning at moderate milage (>100k) so I stick with 5k OCI’s. Waste of money I’m not sure. I’ll do 10k once we have oodles of these A25A engines over the 200k mark without issues, it seems like 10k OCI should be correct, since the engine is only running half the time… but one always fears the worst.

Edit: just realized, I assumed you got the hybrid, which upon looking at other posts, might be incorrect. Hmm, that would tilt me to running 0W20 a bit quicker, FUD being my main driver here. Then again, if you’re not going to be owning for 10+ years, would it matter?

I got an idea....Why not use what Toyota recommends in the owners book....They built the car not the people on this site ...Plus you are under a warranty...and dont you get free oil changes for 2 years too???
When I owned a Toyota, I drove a brand new Camry loaner that was using the new at the time 0W20. Car ran fantastic - though I didn't like the car overall as the interior was cramped by the massive center console. When I went in for warranty service again about nine months later (yes toyotas break and fail like everything else) I was provided the exact same loaner. The thing ran terrible. Engine was extremely noisy and the car was low on power and cylinder balance was bad. I said to myself, "what a shame."

I have had only ONE engine last to 90K on a 20 grade oil out of six vehicles. Never seen a 2.5l last on a 20.
Just my small data point to add to the larger bucket.

I would monitor the racket and step up to a no vii HPL or at least a robust 5W20 if you have ANY indication of rod, skirt or T chain racket coming to the fore. No need for 0W. NONE.

@hrv, you know why that oil grade was chosen.

Last edited:
When I owned a Toyota, I drove a brand new Camry loaner that was using the new at the time 0W20. Car ran fantastic - though I didn't like the car overall as the interior was cramped by the massive center console. When I went in for warranty service again about none months later (yes toyotas break and fail like everything else) I was provided the exact same loaner. The thing ran terrible. Engine was extremely noisy and the car was low on powre an cylinder balance was bad. I said to myself, "what a shame."

I have had only ONE engine last to 90K on a 20 grade oil out of six vehicles. Never seen a 2.5l last on a 20.
Just my small data point to add to the larger bucket.

I would monitor the racket and step up to a no vii HPL or at least a robust 5W20 if you have ANY indication of rod, skirt or T chain racket coming to the fore. No need for 0W. NONE.

@hrv, you know why that oil grade was chosen.
Come on Ken....

You never met an engine you didn't blow up... 😂 😂

Unfortunately, there are few choices of 0W16 at the local level compared to other viscosities modern vehicles use.

As a Corolla Hybrid owner, my goal is to make other varieties of 0W16 more available, so I won't give the default use Mobil1 answer.

Seek out Kendall GT-1 Max 0W16 people.
I can't even find Kendall GT-1 Max 0W16 on https://www.kendallmotoroils.com/ - their official US distributor website.

Back