Time for first oil change?

I'm nearing 1,000 miles on my 2023 Toyota Camry 2.5L. I am considering changing the oil at 1k, 5k, then every 5k afterwards, or should I just wait until 5k and do every 5k?

As far as oil and filter, I was leaning towards Mobile 1 0w16 and Fram Ultra filter. Is this a good choice or should I consider something else?

Thanks!!

I'm nearing 1,000 miles on my 2023 Toyota Camry 2.5L. I am considering changing the oil at 1k, 5k, then every 5k afterwards, or should I just wait until 5k and do every 5k?

As far as oil and filter, I was leaning towards Mobile 1 0w16 and Fram Ultra filter. Is this a good choice or should I consider something else?

Thanks!!

It won't matter. There will be some wear but it's not going to be abrasive wear if that makes any sense and your oil filter will catch the typical stuff.

Last edited:
I would change it at 1000 miles and 5000 thereafter. My mom bought a new Cub Cadet riding mower and they said change it at 3 hours. My new Honda Monkey bike also was a 500 mile change and thousands after that. There is a lot to be said about doing that first oil change after a very short period of time.

Most of the wear of break-in will happen the first 1000 miles when metal particles are shed from the moving parts as they wear in. Oil and filter change at 1000 miles is a good idea especially if you plan on keeping it long term. Stick with a Toyota filter.

What I did was (giving me peace of mind):
Change the oil & filter with odometer at 1,000 .... 2,500 .... 5,000
Then go by OLM which would be (approx) 4,000 miles (if I took it to 0%).
Most likely I will change at 10-15%

What I will do going forward is:
Oil .... Mobil 1 EP - meets all of Fords specs.
Fram Ultra filter .... (same filter for two oil changes).

I’ve been thinking of changing the oil and filter on my 6 month old 2023 Grand Cherokee. It just turned 4k miles and is showing 50% on the olm.
I was going to do my usual 1k change and then every 5k routine but life got me distracted. I’ll probably just do it at 5k miles using one of my three dealership provided oil changes.
The oil looks good and hasn’t moved from the full mark so I’m thinking this ancient port injected 3.6 is pretty easy on oil.

I'm old school, so I'm changing the oil in my 850 mile Mazda 3 now, and every 5k +/- miles thereafter. There's no harm in doing so, so why not do it now? Make sure you use the oil spec'd by Toyota, and prime the filter.

2023 Santa Fe 2.5T and I just changed the oil at 1450 miles. I didn't trust how long the car was on the dealer lot and how many aggressive test drives it suffered through.

This is not 1970. There's no need to change that oil earlier than 3-5k.
Even back in 1970, I went 3k before changing the oil in my then yellow Plymouth Cuda' 340. Bought another eight new vehicles since and it's always been 3k for the first change. As 1st and last owner of all my vehicles, they went to the vehicle graveyard 16-20 years later because of Michigan's winter salt / accumulated rust that became dangerous to drive. All my engines ran smooth-as-silk at the junkyard. A few even had clear oil on the dipstick.

Your Toyota engine parts are now digitally engineered with digital clearances. In this age of Japanese Robotics, no more short-sleep, hang-over employees doing the mechanical work on the engine assembly line.
If you really insist on changing the powerful Toyota factory oil with powerful add-pack at only 1k, then so-be-it. It's your money to spend (not necessary in my opinion).

You have done plenty of UOA and filter inspections on the first oil change then I pressume.

I would change it early too, depending on how much I trust the manufacturer.
1-3k Shure why not.
If you do not trust the manufacturers OCI (clearly not with 5k OCI's) it would make sense to change it even earlier.

Last edited:
I changed my Toyo at I think 2000 miles - just because it was convenient. Same 2.5l engine you have. I did more or less the same for my Nissan's.

I like to dump all the really fine particles out after break in. There are no studies I can find for automotive, but there are lots in the industrial world, and they all show that very small metal particles including down to 1um can cause excess wear on machine parts. Its intuitive to me that there would be more of these particles in a brand new engine than later.

Having said that, most people likely follow what the manual says and tend to not have issues.

And then there's the millions of us that followed the manufacturers recommendations and never had an issue . Your call .

This is not 1970.
Correct but engines are still the same. Aluminum and steel parts rubbing against each other, and when new, wearing in and removing the microscopic peaks on the surfaces of those parts.

And then there's the millions of us that followed the manufacturers recommendations and never had an issue . Your call .
And there are those here complaining how much oil their car uses between changes. Maybe because the engine wasn't broken in properly?

Back