2023 Camry Hybrid, First OC, change filter too?

I picked up Camry hybrid with 7 miles on the odometer. Drove 250 miles home and have been local errand vehicle. Now at 869 miles.

I am going to change the oil this weekend. Not too sure if I should change the filter too?

Whats the best practice here?

Thanks in advance.

Way to early to change the oil...but if you must a new filter would be good to...but again WAY to early to change your oil...
Because its a hybrid or in general? I want to get rid of new engine debris, if any.

I follow The Car Care Nut channel, who is a Toyota master tech and owns a Camry hybrid. In one of the videos, he mentioned about removing factory fill at 1000 miles, which I will reach by the next weekend, but I would rather do this weekend due to time constraints. From next week onward, I will put 250 miles a week. Thought better safe than sorry.

Not sure I would bother with the filter.

If I recall correctly it is 4 quart, when changing the filter. Reusing the filter, I would only put 3.5 in, the check before a cold start.

Last edited:
I was under the impression Toyota gave you two oil changes for free, or is it one. Even then you should at least get one fill.

But if you don't get any free changes you don't have to change the filter as it's not dirty other than having some metal shavings but it's a low filtration filter. I'd use a fram endurance as 3-4 intervals is easily doable if you change at conservative 5k intervals given that it sounds like it's short tripped. As for the oil I'd use any 0/5w-20 and i wouldn't fret with 0w-16.

Last edited:
250k+ miles on that motor. Nothing but 5k oil changes using toyota genuine 0w16 with filter changes as well. Boroscope shows no issues, doesn't even need new plugs or coils or injectors. But was out 2900$ for a trans. But since you have a hybrid you won't even need to worry about the transmission because there really isn't one.

250k+ miles on that motor. Nothing but 5k oil changes using toyota genuine 0w16 with filter changes as well. Boroscope shows no issues, doesn't even need new plugs or coils or injectors. But was out 2900$ for a trans. But since you have a hybrid you won't even need to worry about the transmission because there really isn't one.
And 2018 was the first year for that 8 speed trans in the Camry so all in all not bad for being an early adopter.

I have cut the factory filter on every new vehicle I have owned. I always find a load of machining metal flakes. My opinion is to change the filter.

Can you cut yours when you do change it and post some pictures?
I don't have any tools to cut open the filter but I will try my best.

i was under the impression Toyota gave you two oil changes for free with their, or is it one. Even then you should at least get one fill.

But if you don't get any free changes you don't have to change the filter as it's not dirty at all but it's a low filtration filter. I'd use a fram endurance as 3-4 intervals is easily doable if you change at conservative 5k intervals given that it sounds like it's short tripped. As for the oil I'd use any 0/5w-20 and i wouldn't fret with 0w-16.
AFAIK, 4 oil changes, but the time involvement at our local dealership is not worth the hassle.

I got Mobil 1 AFE 0W-16. Will look into Fram Endurance.

I don't have any tools to cut open the filter but I will try my best.
Good luck, my cheap cutter won’t do it. Denso cans are thick.

I usually buy my filters by the case off Ebay. Used to be $40 fir ten, now like $60 for ten. :( Such is life.

Because its a hybrid or in general? I want to get rid of new engine debris, if any.

I follow The Car Care Nut channel, who is a Toyota master tech and owns a Camry hybrid. In one of the videos, he mentioned about removing factory fill at 1000 miles, which I will reach by the next weekend, but I would rather do this weekend due to time constraints. From next week onward, I will put 250 miles a week. Thought better safe than sorry.
way to early...IMO

What went? was it rebuilt or relpaced?
Replaced. Have a lot of friends that do car rebuilds and ended up buying one for around 1500$ and paying the rest in labor. Mind you, toyota quoted me some 7500$ to do the job.
I am not sure what went, but there were issues switching gears specifically from second to third as well as very jerky torque converter. This is with fluid changes every 50k.

I usually find guys (from dealers most likely) selling extra's

Last edited:
Back