2023 Camry Hybrid, First OC, change filter too?

Thanks for posting that. I've serviced, and have had serviced, a few of Toyota's hybrid transmissions over the past dozen years. These units need attention, just like any transmission.

From a Toyota bulletin that I got somewhere: Your 2023 Toyota Camry Hybrid transmission filter will need to be replaced every 30,000 or 50,000 miles. Be sure to check your vehicle's maintenance guide for more facts on mileage and time intervals.
That quote is from a dealer, not from toyota itself.

Per toyota, (literally go to any toyota vehicle except the supra, gr corolla, and 86) none of their transmissions need servicing.
Do they need servicing? Maybe. When I serviced my 8 speed the fluid came out clean and red as if it was new after 50k miles. Is it over kill? Probably. Especially considering that the "cvt" in the hybrid is NOT a transmission, it is a coupler between the electric motor and the engine, that is it. Watch weber auto's tear downs of these. They are are simple as a coupler and torque converter system can get, which is why I probably wouldn't bother spending the time/money to change the little fluid that it has.

As far as doing it, it isn't as difficult. Just pour out the old, measure it, pour in the new. Trick will be getting a dealer to sell it to you. Most places that I see selling them are sketchy, and the cost is on the very high side for a fluid. 80$+?

Seen these hybrid "e-cvt" go for hundreds of thousands without service. Mostly because they are overbuilt.

I picked up Camry hybrid with 7 miles on the odometer. Drove 250 miles home and have been local errand vehicle. Now at 869 miles.

I am going to change the oil this weekend. Not too sure if I should change the filter too?

Whats the best practice here?

Thanks in advance.
Why bother changing the oil if you aren't changing the filter? Since the concern (un-founded IMHO) of "all that metal in the oil from break in" that folks look to remove by an early change out after buying new, would seem the filter would be a bigger concern as it caught what was there.

way to early...IMO
I'd say 500 to 1000 miles is ideal for a first oil change. There is no magic with modern engines, they are still a bunch of production-class, moving metal parts in a conventional engine block and cylinder head. Hybrid, Atkinson, Eco-tuned whatever, matters not one bit. It's a [probably] 180HP, 4 cylinder engine, it's output is relatively significant for the displacement. Although Toyota rates output at 208HP, that's with the motor assist. The engine is likely to be a touch less.

My point is simple, there is nothing about this car or engine that would lead me to believe it is somehow worthwhile leaving in the original oil.

I'd say 500 to 1000 miles is ideal for a first oil change. There is no magic with modern engines, they are still a bunch of production-class, moving metal parts in a conventional engine block and cylinder head. Hybrid, Atkinson, Eco-tuned whatever, matters not one bit. It's a [probably] 180HP, 4 cylinder engine, it's output is relatively significant for the displacement. Although Toyota rates output at 208HP, that's with the motor assist. The engine is likely to be a touch less.

My point is simple, there is nothing about this car or engine that would lead me to believe it is somehow worthwhile leaving in the original oil.
or changing it way too early also...

If I were doing the oil change, I'd change the filter also. Any idea how many of those miles were when the engine was running and not in hybrid mode?

Or any data to point that early change outs like this have any impact on engine longevity or performance.

In before: "I have always changed my oil at XYZ miles after buying a new car and they always last and do great!"

Which of course is countered by the vast majority of drivers that don't do this and have the exact same experience.

Not sure I want to wade into this early/late change... on our hybrid, I went to 5k, and I'll find out soon enough if it matters. Don't think I cut the filter open on that one, I gave up on cutting Denso filters.

On our prior cars, 4 bought new, all 4 got oil changes at 5k or 10k, as per the manual. One did turn into an oil burner--but if I say the name "Saturn" can it be excluded? I did buy a Tundra off lease, so one knows it went 10k on its first OCI, and it didn't burn either.

Anyhow. For the OP, the access port is held in with 4(?) 10mm screws. I think it might have Philips inside of the hex, I just use one of those wrenches with a ratchet head on it. I find the crush washer likes to stick to the pan, sometimes (if I remember) I will back the bolt out, then try to pry it loose before I remove the bolt and have oil all over the place.

Oh and you've probably by now seen that Toyota decided to move the hood prop. It's now on the hood, and swings down. Weird. I feel like I'm always fumbling around to find the latch too. BUT I will say, it's not the 100 pound hood that my Camry has. :cool:

There isn't one. We're all apparently just posting opinions with no data to back them up.
What isn't an opinion is that unless the OE specifically states that an early first change is necessary, the folks that built the engine don't think it is.

Or any data to point that early change outs like this have any impact on engine longevity or performance.

In before: "I have always changed my oil at XYZ miles after buying a new car and they always last and do great!"

Which of course is countered by the vast majority of drivers that don't do this and have the exact same experience.
One can argue this point ad infinitum and it won't make any difference. Folks will do what they want, what they prefer, based on their experience and the wisdom of their trusted sources. Me, I like an early change. However, I've purchased used vehicles that didn't have an early change. The vehicles all drove and performed similarly. The early change makes me feel comfortable and secure, but that needs to be put into context. I'm old enough to remember folks doing 1,000 - 2,000 mile OCIs. I remember ring and valve jobs as being routine. Cars with oil bath air filters.

I wonder if it's mostly us older folks who are proponents of early first changes as our base experience was on poorly built cars and low-quality oils. And remember, many, many cars before the mid-1950s didn't even have oil filters as standard.

What isn't an opinion is that unless the OE specifically states that an early first change is necessary, the folks that built the engine don't think it is.
Is it the folks who built the engine or those who market the product determining the OCI?

I was under the impression Toyota gave you two oil changes for free, or is it one. Even then you should at least get one fill.

But if you don't get any free changes you don't have to change the filter as it's not dirty other than having some metal shavings but it's a low filtration filter. I'd use a fram endurance as 3-4 intervals is easily doable if you change at conservative 5k intervals given that it sounds like it's short tripped. As for the oil I'd use any 0/5w-20 and i wouldn't fret with 0w-16.
They won't change the oil outside of the 1 year or mileage(10K) recommendation.

Replaced. Have a lot of friends that do car rebuilds and ended up buying one for around 1500$ and paying the rest in labor. Mind you, toyota quoted me some 7500$ to do the job.
I am not sure what went, but there were issues switching gears specifically from second to third as well as very jerky torque converter. This is with fluid changes every 50k.

I usually find guys (from dealers most likely) selling extra's
Being in Brooklyn, it probably fell off the back of a truck.

Since catching zwarf is always the stated goal of OC#1, I'd think the zwarf-catching factory oil filter is the one to open.
Check for sparklies and globs of sealant.
All you have to do is put the drained oil in the sun to see metal sparkles.

Is it the folks who built the engine or those who market the product determining the OCI?
No idea - I don't believe the OE conspiracy stuff about this/that or that they only give recommendations to get the cars out of warranty period.
I wonder if it's mostly us older folks who are proponents of early first changes as our base experience was on poorly built cars and low-quality oils. And remember, many, many cars before the mid-1950s didn't even have oil filters as standard.
I believe it.

Unwad your panties Geo. This is a daily discussion on this site.
Yes and I have the same answer each time...what is the magic number since it's so critical to not just do a normal first OCI there MUST be a definitive "makes my engine last to 300+K miles" first change interval!

Back