2021 Mazda CX5 carbon Edition w/ turbo oil

no free first oil change? Mazda specs 5000 mile OCIs. My dealer put Mobil One in.
I was under the impresion that Indemisu was the Mazda oil of choice.

My 2 cents

It likely depends on the dealer.

Recently Mazda chose Idemitsu to be their sole supplier of synthetic oil. I believe that also includes supplying MTMUS which would be a nice deal for Idemitsu.

My dealer used to use Castrol but Idemitsu was also stocked. Now they use Idemitsu exclusively.

i have a 2021 mazda 3 sedan gt turbo. it is my third turbo mazda vehicle. i buy a new mazda every year. i learned with my 2018 mazda 6 signature that the mazda filter is the one to get. i tried a mobil filter and there was a dramatic loss of oil pressure. stick with the mazda oil filter. i also tried pretty much every 5w30 oils and these engines run very well with the shell rotella gas truck 5w30. but they run well with all modern 5w30 oils. i was very dissapointed when the thailand made filter replaced the japan made filter in canada. i am still trying to get a reliable source for these japan made roki filter.

As far as Mazda is concerned, Thailand manufacture = Japan manufacture. Many of the transmissions used in cars built at the big Mazda plant in Mexico are from the Thailand transmission plant. So I wouldn't worry about the Thai–made Mazda oil filter.

Thailand manufacture = Japan manufacture.
Exactly. Honda for one, has shown that foreign (to them) manufacturing can be as good as home brewed.
It depends on the demands of the Japanese company.
I prefer Fram filters so the Mobil-1 problem above doesn't bother me.

My 2¢

UPDATE: My Mazda dealer recently sent me two coupons for the first two oil changes. It said it was a thank-you for buying multiple cars from them over the years. It was good timing as I just returned from a 4K+ mile trip to Mich and Ohio. Cruised at 80mph+ thru Nebraska in 100 degree weather w/o any issues. Passing on rural two lane roads was a dream. It was, however, difficult finding premium fuel in some locations and **** was it expensive when I did find it. Went to Sam's club and Costco when I could find them. It did however run and performed well on both 87 and 89 octane when I had to use them. Highway fuel mileage was mostly in the 27 to 28 mpg range with one tank at 29.5! The Nebraska tank was 26 mpg which was to be expected. Not sure I'm a fan of all the electronic safety widgets (I'm still old school). The cruise distance control was the biggest pain even when set at the minimum closing distance. I wish I could find a way of turning it off. The lane assist was annoying at first but I got use to it. That system goes a little spastic in construction zones especially with close concrete lane dividers. Fortunately that system can easily be turned off with a button on the dash. My only compaint is ride quality and I blame that on tires. Mazda seems to put really crappy tires on its vehicles. Every one of the seven Mazdas I have owned were the same. They were each transformed when I got rid of the original tires. Thankfully (in this case) the tires they come with wear out quickly. I haven't had a set of Toyos or Yokohamas last more than 25K on any of my Mazdas. My last CX5 and 6 really liked the Continental Contact model replacements.

Nice update. From what I have read and personally experienced your fuel economy will improve as the miles accumulate. I noticed the improvement all the way up to around 15000 miles. I’m currently averaging 33.2 at the latest update. That is a mix of city and highway miles.

On the safety stuff, I set my cruise distance at one step beyond the mid point. I feel more comfortable with that distance but that is also a personal thing. As for the lane assist I turned off the intervention as Mazda calls it. I also turned off the audible warnings. All I get now is the warning in the HUD and the steering wheel rumble which is not bothersome.

Nice update. From what I have read and personally experienced your fuel economy will improve as the miles accumulate. I noticed the improvement all the way up to around 15000 miles. I’m currently averaging 33.2 at the latest update. That is a mix of city and highway miles.

On the safety stuff, I set my cruise distance at one step beyond the mid point. I feel more comfortable with that distance but that is also a personal thing. As for the lane assist I turned off the intervention as Mazda calls it. I also turned off the audible warnings. All I get now is the warning in the HUD and the steering wheel rumble which is not bothersome.
I hope you're correct on fuel mileage. I would like to get every mpg I can especially when using premium fuel and it's current cost. I have to repeat this trip in August and not looking forward to fuel costs. I might plan a trip on Gas Buddy to see how much that might help. I tried numerous settings with the cruise distance control. Set at a greater distance it slows so subtlely while following a car I often found myself going 5 to 10 mph slower than the preset speed before realizing it. When I pulled out to pass, the CX5 accelerated quite quickly. When I had it set at a shorter distance and came up on a car going quite a bit slower it would brake rather abruptly and sometimes quite heavily. It was tough judging the distance at which either would occur. My guess is I'll just need more seat time to figure it all out.

I hope you're correct on fuel mileage. I would like to get every mpg I can especially when using premium fuel and it's current cost. I have to repeat this trip in August and not looking forward to fuel costs. I might plan a trip on Gas Buddy to see how much that might help. I tried numerous settings with the cruise distance control. Set at a greater distance it slows so subtlely while following a car I often found myself going 5 to 10 mph slower than the preset speed before realizing it. When I pulled out to pass, the CX5 accelerated quite quickly. When I had it set at a shorter distance and came up on a car going quite a bit slower it would brake rather abruptly and sometimes quite heavily. It was tough judging the distance at which either would occur. My guess is I'll just need more seat time to figure it all out.

I got that tip from Thomas at Autogefühl on YouTube. Yes the braking can be harsh.

The turbo SkyActiv will always get a few mpg less than the naturally aspirated version. The throttles on these are very sensitive. On mine I cycle through the info screen on the instrument panel until I see the instant mpg monitor. It gives you a sense of how a very light lifting of your foot affects fuel economy. You can also see the Miller cycle or whatever it is kick in. The mpg will jump up after you are at cruising speed.

On the harsh ride I just thought of this. Check your tire pressures. Mazda inflates them high for the voyage across the Pacific. Some dealers forget to adjust them back down. I run mine at 34psi.

I got that tip from Thomas at Autogefühl on YouTube. Yes the braking can be harsh.

The turbo SkyActiv will always get a few mpg less than the naturally aspirated version. The throttles on these are very sensitive. On mine I cycle through the info screen on the instrument panel until I see the instant mpg monitor. It gives you a sense of how a very light lifting of your foot affects fuel economy. You can also see the Miller cycle or whatever it is kick in. The mpg will jump up after you are at cruising speed.

On the harsh ride I just thought of this. Check your tire pressures. Mazda inflates them high for the voyage across the Pacific. Some dealers forget to adjust them back down. I run mine at 34psi.
Yep, my tire pressures were 45PSI when I took delivery. I reset them to the specified 35 PSI before the trip. Tires still seem a little harsh compared to my 16 cx5 but I attribute some of that to the slightly lower profile tire and just a poor riding tire in the first place. I had the same pressure issue on several other of my Mazdas as well. You wonder what the pre-delivery inspection covers. Tire pressure check would seem to be a basic item in my opinion. I also used the mpg monitor on the trip and agree that it is very sensitive to the lightest throttle inputs.

i have a 2021 mazda 3 sedan gt turbo. it is my third turbo mazda vehicle. i buy a new mazda every year. i learned with my 2018 mazda 6 signature that the mazda filter is the one to get. i tried a mobil filter and there was a dramatic loss of oil pressure. stick with the mazda oil filter. i also tried pretty much every 5w30 oils and these engines run very well with the shell rotella gas truck 5w30. but they run well with all modern 5w30 oils. i was very dissapointed when the thailand made filter replaced the japan made filter in canada. i am still trying to get a reliable source for these japan made roki filter.
You can get them on ebay.

Recently returned from my second trip to Michigan and Ohio. Another 4K miles on the odo. Now have a little over 9500 miles in three months or so. I usually only average 10 K a year or less! Changed my route a little and traveled some non-interstate four lanes when possible. MPG was still all over the place. Headwinds (even mild ones) combined with interstate speeds really kill it quickly. Worst was about 25.3 mpg. Best was 31.7mpg which occurred at a steady 65 mph thru Indiana. I still dislike the cruise distance control and wish it could be turned off. My wife hated it! Other than that feature the CX5 CE turbo ran beautifully and was a comfortable road machine. I changed the oil and filter myself before we left. I called my dealer to try to take advantage of one of my two free services and he couldn't get me in for 3 weeks! I told him I wouldn't being coming in for any more service. All his competition (aka Mazda dealers) have quick oil service bays requiring no appointments. Couldn't believe they didn't have one. A oil filter set me back 13.00 there so another reason not to go back. I used Valvoline Advanced Synthetic and the CX5 seemed to like it. Is there a significant difference between it and the extended protection option? I'm due for another change in about 500 miles so it's time to collect more oil and a filter. I'll probably stick with Valvoline for now.

The Mazda turbo engines are 5000 mile OCI.
The Mazda filter has no ADBV, but as it's mouthed vertically one isn't needed anyway.
Other than than it's not a great filter; good but Fram UG, NAPA platinum would be top picks.

I'm going oversize on the oil filter in a week, with Valvoline 5W-30.

My 2¢

Just wanted to share:
I do ~ 5K OIC. Been using Purolator Boss (PBL14612) and either Mobil 1 or Pennzoil Platinum (5w-30) and the Signature has been running great. 24,000 miles on it now...

Interestingly, manual fuel consumption calculations often result in slightly better MPG #s when compared to computer readings.

Interestingly, manual fuel consumption calculations often result in slightly better MPG #s when compared to computer readings.
I agree. I did a number of manual calculations and mpg increased anywhere from .5 to 1.5 mpg. Thankfully none were lower in which case I'd really be bummed out. Unfortunately you're at the mercy of the pump as to whether the tank is full or mostly full.

I agree. I did a number of manual calculations and mpg increased anywhere from .5 to 1.5 mpg. Thankfully none were lower in which case I'd really be bummed out. Unfortunately you're at the mercy of the pump as to whether the tank is full or mostly full.
Don't be surprised if you see your Turbo surpass 30 mpg! I did on an easy 100 mile drive.

Back