2021 Mazda CX5 carbon Edition w/ turbo oil

I have a one month old CX5 with a turbo. It's the first turbo I have owned but my 6th Mazda. Mazda pushed high moly content oils in my earlier cars (14 Mazda6 and 16 CX5). I used Quaker State Synthetic in both as it had the highest moly content for readily available oils. I'm leaving on a 4000 mile trip in a few days and will be changing the oil immediately on return. The new CX5 calls for 5w30 oil with a API SN rating (I'm aware that most oils are now SP rated). Little else is mentioned in the manual, so I'm guessing I'm free to use any quality 5w30 synthetic. My question is should I stick with a higher moly content oil like the QS or is it not worth the concern. My goal is to treat the turbo motor as well as I can with the most appropriate oil.

Nice car. Let us know about oil dilution. What is the break in on that engine?

Would love that turbo engine....Next car is going to be a CX5.

If you’re going extended OCI I’d go with M1 EP. If you’re going to keep it at 6000 miles or less I’d go with M1 ESP, PP Euro L, M1 or PP. The ESP and Euro L have a higher HTHS rating 3.5 vs 3.0/3.1. There may be a minuscule drop in fuel efficiency.

I don’t go more than 5000miles on a oil change. I don’t care what the manual recommends in that regard. To much stop and go, short tripping ,idling and extreme temps for me, hence why.

Put anything PP, M1, QS, Valvoline off the shelf stuff will keep the motor happy and strong. Keep your change intervals consistent and use a good oil filter, the diff between the off the shelf afromentioned brands is small. Cheers.

Nice car. Let us know about oil dilution. What is the break in on that engine?

Would love that turbo engine....Next car is going to be a CX5.
There are no special break in procedures. They just "recommend" varying speeds and avoiding full thottle acceleration (that part is hard to do) for the first 600 miles. There is a considerable performance difference between this and my 2016 cx5 GT as expected. The dealer only put regular gas in it (which is allowed) so I'm down 25 HP to start with and it's still very strong. The torque is the major difference. 315 ft. lbs vs 185 is "really" noticeable. Handling is, however, very similar between the two. I especially love the dark blood red leather interior. Really sets it apart from basic black.

For whatever reason, Mazda seems to have a very specific oil filter for these engines. Use a quality synthetic 5w-30 and the Mazda filter, and you'll be fine.

The one that will come on it from the factory is PY8W-14-302. Up until late 2019, these were available at the dealer. They have now been replaced with 1WPY-14-302. The only engines which Mazda specifies either of these part numbers for is the 2.5 turbo.

Most of the aftermarket filter makers specify the same filter for both the 2.5 and 2.5 turbo. For this particular application, I'll side with Mazda and buy theirs.

Last edited:
If you’re going extended OCI I’d go with M1 EP. If you’re going to keep it at 6000 miles or less I’d go with M1 ESP, PP Euro L, M1 or PP. The ESP and Euro L have a higher HTHS rating 3.5 vs 3.0/3.1. There may be a minuscule drop in fuel efficiency.

I don’t go more than 5000miles on a oil change. I don’t care what the manual recommends in that regard. To much stop and go, short tripping ,idling and extreme temps for me, hence why.

Put anything PP, M1, QS, Valvoline off the shelf stuff will keep the motor happy and strong. Keep your change intervals consistent and use a good oil filter, the diff between the off the shelf afromentioned brands is small. Cheers.
I'm going to stick with 5000 mile intervals. It has worked well in the past with my other cars. This vehicle will be used primarily for cross country trips. I just have to get in the habit of letting the car idle for a little while and allowing the turbo to spool down before shutting it off.
I use Mobil 1 EP 5w30 in my 2021 CX5 GTR. Ed

For whatever reason, Mazda seems to have a very specific oil filter for these engines. Use a quality synthetic 5w-30 and the Mazda filter, and you'll be fine.

The one that will come on it from the factory is PY8W-14-302. Up until late last 2019, these were available at the dealer. They have now been replaced with 1WPY-14-302. The only engines which Mazda specifies either of these part numbers for is the 2.5 turbo.

Most of the aftermarket filter makers specify the same filter for both the 2.5 and 2.5 turbo. For this particular application, I'll side with Mazda and buy theirs.
Thank you for that info! I would have most likely bought the off the shelf part at Walmart. I'll try to hit up some of the online mazda dealers for that filter.

Thank you for that info! I would have most likely bought the off the shelf part at Walmart. I'll try to hit up some of the online mazda dealers for that filter.

Your dealership will probably have as good a price as you'll find online (with shipping). I've found most of the parts counter folks are ok to deal with, and sometimes they'll cut a deal.

Another Mazda bonus is they sell the rubber inserts for the wiper blades. About $18 for both, but it's easy to do and cheaper than buying new blades.

Another vote for Mobil 1 05-W30 EP and the Mazda factory filter, I chose that oil after much reading here on BITOG, reportedly the formula will do well with the type of direct injection that Mazda uses.
I also do 5000 mile OCI's but I make a lot of short trips with my 2019 GT-Reserve. I only run 91 octane fuel as well. It costs an arm, leg and a testicle here in California (currently about $4.60 a gallon) but I'm only putting about 5000 miles a year on the car now that I am retired so the cost of gas and mileage isn't that big of a deal. Plus I like getting the full performance from the turbo engine.
I'm sure you will enjoy your new CX 5, there are many satisfied owners here.

If it only says 5W30, go anything Euro approval 5W30.
Mobil1 ESP 5W30 has MB229.51/52 and VW504.00/507.00 approvals which include numerous more stringent tests than anything API, including LSPI. Also, HTHS is a minimum 3.5.
Pennzoil Platinum Euro L 5W30 is readily available in Wal Mart.

Thanks for all the recommendations. It appears that Mobile 1 EP, Castrol Advanced (black bottle) or Valvoline Advanced seem to be a good place to start (all readily available) along with a Mazda OEM filter. As I said in my initial post, I'm a die hard Mazda guy. I've had a RX7 (SCCA ProRally and rallycross car), a Miata, two Mazda 6's, A CX5 GT, a current 2018 3 GT (that's, surprisingly, a very fun car to drive even with the auto trans) and the new CX5 Carbon Edition Turbo. Not one required anything more than normal maintnance (other than a few recall visits). Things did happen to the RX7 but that's expected in racing and were mostly my fault. Hence my desire to take good care of the CX5 turbo.

no free first oil change? Mazda specs 5000 mile OCIs. My dealer put Mobil One in.
I was under the impresion that Indemisu was the Mazda oil of choice.

My 2 cents

Back