2021 Kia K5 GT oil filter recommendations

This has been interesting info.

I am looking to get a new sedan, and was hearing good things about the car, but the fact that they want me to spend $$$ on syns/filters every 3k miles in today's world is ridiculous. Admittedly, I'd probably not follow that OFCI after warranty, but my local dealers offer the "10yr/100k mi" warranty to first owners as part of purchase, so that's 33 oil/filter changes at a very high price point. If the fuel dilution is that bad, such that it needs flushed every 3k miles, then I'll pass for sure.

Man do I ever miss my old Grand Marquis ...
I got 12 Smartstrem 2.5 filters for $112 off fleebay.com. They're not more expensive than any other filters. Leave it up to the stealerships :poop: to make your life a living hell though :confused:.

This has been interesting info.

I am looking to get a new sedan, and was hearing good things about the car, but the fact that they want me to spend $$$ on syns/filters every 3k miles in today's world is ridiculous. Admittedly, I'd probably not follow that OFCI after warranty, but my local dealers offer the "10yr/100k mi" warranty to first owners as part of purchase, so that's 33 oil/filter changes at a very high price point. If the fuel dilution is that bad, such that it needs flushed every 3k miles, then I'll pass for sure.

Man do I ever miss my old Grand Marquis ...
I think the fuel dilution isn’t such a problem if you run premium. I’ve rolled 3k now and there is only the slightest hint of carbon on the exhaust tips. My dad has a 2019 sonata with the GDI 2.4 and his exhaust looks like a coal mine. I haven’t ragged on him about it because I’ve only gone 3k. I’m closely watching. Haven’t cleaned them either. The experiment continues

Wanted to bump this thread and see if any K5 GT owners have found an alternative to the stock oil filter. If not, I’ll order a couple from the dealer for my wife’s car that should be delivered next month.

Wanted to bump this thread and see if any K5 GT owners have found an alternative to the stock oil filter. If not, I’ll order a couple from the dealer for my wife’s car that should be delivered next month.
Crappy OEM paper filters only. If you got a 2.5T do yourself a favor and run Quaker State EURO 5W-40 in it just to be safe.

Does anyone here have a 2.5L smartstream turbo or non and can tell me where the filter is located? I'm still going round in circles trying to determine which filter this engine actually uses!
Underneath my 2022 Tucson with the n/a 2.5 liter, there are two removable panels. One is for the drain plug, and the other is for the filter housing (cartridge filter).

Crappy OEM paper filters only. If you got a 2.5T do yourself a favor and run Quaker State EURO 5W-40 in it just to be safe.
I was actually thinking about buying several jugs of the Castrol Edge 0w-40 since it is easy to get and only $22 on the interwebs. Have a link to the QS 5w-40 where it’s in stock? I can’t seem to find it for a reasonable price.

I was actually thinking about buying several jugs of the Castrol Edge 0w-40 since it is easy to get and only $22 on the interwebs. Have a link to the QS 5w-40 where it’s in stock? I can’t seem to find it for a reasonable price.
Just buy enough Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W-40 for one change, and wait until Walmart has QS 5W-40 back in stock. They are the same lube: Shell Helix Ultra 5W-40 API SP. Castrol EDGE 0W-40 is a good second choice.

Another really good option is this, and probably more warranty friends:

Valvoline 5W-30 XL-III - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07ZCRH2VY/ref=ox_sc_saved_image_10?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

Just buy enough Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W-40 for one change, and wait until Walmart has QS 5W-40 back in stock. They are the same lube: Shell Helix Ultra 5W-40 API SP.
Where can you get pennzoil platinum 5W-40 that's not expensive? The only affordable Pennzoil Euro is either the MidSAPS 5W30 or 0W40, 5W40 5qt jugs seem to be gone, and by the quart, you're gonna pay $8-10qt. I think SOPUS may be phasing out 5W-40 in the US market.

Where can you get pennzoil platinum 5W-40 that's not expensive? The only affordable Pennzoil Euro is either the MidSAPS 5W30 or 0W40, 5W40 5qt jugs seem to be gone, and by the quart, you're gonna pay $8-10qt. I think SOPUS may be phasing out 5W-40 in the US market.
I was going to ask the same thing. Seems like all I can find is single quart bottles for $8-9.

Unless you live where it gets freezing, don't use 0W lubes in turbo-charged engines, they tend to shear badly. It's even worse when fuel dilution is added to the equation.

Unless you live where it gets freezing, don't use 0W lubes in turbo-charged engines, they tend to shear badly. It's even worse when fuel dilution is added to the equation.
I “care” for a Subaru Ascent with a TGDI FA24F engine. I was thinking going a 0W-30 or 5W-30 oil for the the next OCI.

Hyundai calls for API SN/ILSAC GF-6 and ACEA Cx oils interchangeably. If it was me on a TGDI Smartstream or the previous Gamma/Beta engines with a turbo, I’d use a Euro oil such as PP Euro L 5W-30(dexos2/ACEA C3), M1 ESP 0W-30/5W-30(dexos2/ACEA C2 or C3) and then any D1G2/D1G3 oil in 5W-30. Use the OEM Hyundai or a Wix 51334.

Use the OEM filter and follow the maintenance interval. Kia is somewhat conservative with their OCIs on their turbo engines, the OCI for my Forte GT with the 1.6T was only 6k miles.

Yea, that fact is making want to go 5W-30. Subaru really should have speced that, like a WRX.
You can safely go with a good 0W-40/5W-40, or if you want maximum protection while playing it safe with the warranty I would recommend Valvoline XL-III 5W-30. That's MB229.52 API SP approved oil, HTHS is 3.5.

You can safely go with a good 0W-40/5W-40, or if you want maximum protection while playing it safe with the warranty I would recommend Valvoline XL-III 5W-30. That's MB229.52 API SP approved oil, HTHS is 3.5.
I haven’t seen that at Walmart(probably need to special order at Napa/O’Reilly or call a lube distributor). If BITOG’s favorite motor oil emporium has M1 ESP, that would be my first choice as it does carry MB/GM/BMW approvals.

I have seen PP Euro L 5W-30. MB 229.31/51 and dexos2 approved.

Back