2019 Honda Ridgeline test drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Test drove a new Ridgeline today. Was told the truck didn't have Variable Cylinder Management (VCM), although I was sure it did. The elder salesman even asked another salesman, and he also said it didn't have it. So, my wife and I asked to go for a spin. Didn't let the salesman copy my license, but he let me drive it as long as he could go along. I liked the truck a lot, and my wife loved it. Of course, when I got home and checked online, it indeed does have the VCM system. So, is this VCM system to be avoided, or has Honda worked out the bugs?

Salesman training. You got an honest one. An older man selling cars may need the money and he spent time with you and wasn't a jerk it sounds like. Personally I would go back and give him the sale if it goes that way.

VCM can easily be disabled so I would not even think about it.
Not sure if Ridgeline has the same and very expensive engine mounts as the Odyssey, but if it does, that's another thing to consider. They run something like $600 for parts alone.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Farnsworth
Salesman training. You got an honest one. An older man selling cars may need the money and he spent time with you and wasn't a jerk it sounds like. Personally I would go back and give him the sale if it goes that way.

How did you come to this conclusion? The guy didn't even know if VCM was a thing in the car he was selling! He either didn't care to learn or was lying....likely the former.

Young or old, it doesn't matter. Some care and many don't. I literally had to walk away from a dealer once after the salesman kept knocking on parts of the car and asking if I'd ever seen something so solid, and whether I was in love with the car yet or what? Wholy Moly!

I prefer the old body style, like my 2007, which does not have VCM. I think from the front the new ones look more like a smaller minivan than a mid-sized pickup. I have nothing but good things to say about mine. Almost 13 years old with less than 90K on the clock, it has needed very little. One blower fan recall, one suspension bolt recall, front pads and rotors, rear pads and one front driveshaft. I'm on my second replacement battery and second replacement set of tires, both based on age, not wear. I've done 5-6K oil changes using full synthetic or synthetic blend oil, and it consumes nothing. I'm shooting for at least 16 years of ownership, but the new Kia Telluride is tempting.

Most car salesman don't know much about cars they are selling. They are not engineers.

These days I've seen dealership separate out the test drive companions and the ones doing negotiations, so clearly the driving companions are the one that makes minimum wage and has no commission pressure. They know you will not decide whether to buy a car or not based on that guy's talk, anyways.

As Panda said - Car sales guys rarely know anything about what they are selling.

I've got a gen 2 Ridgeline (love it) best midsized truck Ive ever owned - by a lot.

VCM is much ado about nothing. I wouldn't bother with a defeat.

After break it its super tight with oil and the VCM is all but unnoticeable -a bit like pulling a high gear without downshifting if you can feel or discern it at all.

UD

Last edited:
Originally Posted by gathermewool
Originally Posted by Farnsworth

How did you come to this conclusion? The guy didn't even know if VCM was a thing in the car he was selling! He either didn't care to learn or was lying....likely the former.

Young or old, it doesn't matter. Some care and many don't. I literally had to walk away from a dealer once after the salesman kept knocking on parts of the car and asking if I'd ever seen something so solid, and whether I was in love with the car yet or what? Wholy Moly!

How? The salesman asked someone else. That means he is honest. Most make things up when they don't know. He cared enough to ask and cared enough to let the copy DL slide to make the customer happy. Salesmanship 101, never admit you're wrong. Old is very important when there isn't enough money and no one hires you because you're old. No salesman knows everything about every car. Any other questions about how I came up with my opinion?

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
Originally Posted by Rumble
Test drove a new Ridgeline today.

So does that mean you've already negotiated a deal on it?

I went there with the intention to make an offer, but didn't get a good vibe because of the VCM issue. My wife wanted us to try it out anyway, so off we went. The Ridgeline has been on the back burner for a while, now it's off the stove. I've given up on Ford Ranger (start/stop), Frontier (cramped back seat), Colorado/Canyon (transmission issues), Tacoma (unimpressive interior). So, I'm giving up on midsize trucks. Will keep the old Chevy in my sig.

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
How did you like it?

If not for VCM, it would be sitting in my driveway.

They're great trucks. My two biggest complaints is the rear seat needs at least another inch of leg room and the gas tank is way too small.

Last edited:

I went there with the intention to make an offer, but didn't get a good vibe because of the VCM issue. My wife wanted us to try it out anyway, so off we went. The Ridgeline has been on the back burner for a while, now it's off the stove. I've given up on Ford Ranger (start/stop), Frontier (cramped back seat), Colorado/Canyon (transmission issues), Tacoma (unimpressive interior). So, I'm giving up on midsize trucks. Will keep the old Chevy in my sig.

It seems like there is something you don't like about any vehicle made in the last 10 years. I really suspect you don't find "value" in them. JMHO. BTW-the " new tech" is only going to get worse. Down the road you may have wished you bought something NOW-verses waiting for the "tech" coming up-that will only add ADDITIONAL COMPLEXITY.

Let's face it-you currently have a fleet of dinosaurs.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
How did you like it?

If not for VCM, it would be sitting in my driveway.

Sadly no new cars in your future, they all have something to avoid for the tech-phobic.

Originally Posted by CKN

It seems like there is something you don't like about any vehicle made in the last 10 years. I really suspect you don't find "value" in them. JMHO. BTW-the " new tech" is only going to get worse. Down the road you may have wished you bought something NOW-verses waiting for the "tech" coming up-that will only add ADDITIONAL COMPLEXITY.

Let's face it-you currently have a fleet of dinosaurs.

LOL at the dinosaur line. Actually, with midsize trucks out of the way, a new 4Runner is in the running. Trying to find the right color combo (red w/sand beige int).

LOL at the dinosaur line. Actually, with midsize trucks out of the way, a new 4Runner is in the running. Trying to find the right color combo (red w/sand beige int).

Not a new one. Push to start.

I bought a barely used 2017 Ridgeline a couple months ago and love it. Smooth, comfy, quiet, SUV up front, small pickup in the back. My understanding it is the only one of the small pickups that a sheet of plywood will lay flat in the bed. The main thing I was looking for in a small truck was the most comfortable driver's seat for the 500 mile drives I make several times a year, and the Ridgeline won that contest easily. I can't comment on the rear seat comfort because the kids are all out of the house and my back seat stays folded up all the time for cargo space.

It definitely has VCM and the elaborate engine mount to smooth out 3 cy operation. Honda's VCM is also definitely smoother than the GM's version in our Yukon. The only time I can detect the shift to 3 cy mode is while on cruise control on really smooth asphalt. There is a slight flutter that I can hear when listening for it, but no vibration. I guess I had had the truck a month before I could even detect that.

I share what seems to be the prevailing Bitog opinion that anvil grade engine reliability is far more desirable than squeezing an extra 0.1 MPG out of a gallon of gas, but the people making the decisions are spending the customer's money so they don't really care. All you can do is change the oil conservatively and hope for the best.

Originally Posted by AZjeff

Not a new one. Push to start.

The SR5 Premium I cranked today had a key. Or am I misinterpreting your post?

Look, if I knew the Honda engine would not be a future headache, I might go for the Ridgeline. Come to think of it, I've been demonstrated 3 different 2019 Ridgelines in the past month, not once was Variable Cylinder Management mentioned. I was told everything under the sun about the Ridglines features (many I like), but it seems the sales guys don't want to bring that feature up (VCM).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back