2019 Honda Ridgeline test drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was into the midsize truck craze for a while, but the more I thought about it, the more I decided on a full size truck.

1. Price - I'm finding comparably equipped models coming in at the same price range. I'll take the V8 and higher towing capacity for the same price any day of the week.

2. Capability - If i could get a midsize with a full-size powertrain, then I'd do it. A full size only needs an extended cab to have people able to sit comfortably in the back. What purpose does a 5 foot bed have? Useless to me.

3. "Cool factor" - might be subjective, but midsize trucks don't have the road presence that full size trucks have. For the same price and the same operating expenses, I want the full size.

I really don't see any reason to get a midsize. It's not like there's anything out there with a good powertrain in a smaller package that makes them appealing. Yes you can get a diesel, but at 180 hp it's useless on the highway when not towing anything. Now a 5.3 in a Colorado would be a different story.

Originally Posted by oilpsi2high
I was into the midsize truck craze for a while, but the more I thought about it, the more I decided on a full size truck.

I really don't see any reason to get a midsize. It's not like there's anything out there with a good powertrain in a smaller package that makes them appealing. Yes you can get a diesel, but at 180 hp it's useless on the highway when not towing anything. Now a 5.3 in a Colorado would be a different story.

Had a 2010 5.3L Canyon for 8 years … 4WD and 4.10 gears … very capable off road. But strangely enough they did not put AFM in them and the MPG just couldn't hit 20
With AFM, a 6L80e, and 3.73 gears ~ it would have been better on the road …

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Rumble
Over and above VCM, I think the biggest factor in why I've been dragging my feet on the Ridgeline is the transverse engine and front wheel drive system (optional AWD). After 15 years of a PT, I'm just tired of that kind of lay out, plus the leaky axle seals. The Ridgeline certainly has more room in the engine bay than the PT though. If I get a 4Runner, it will only have RWD (2Runner). According to CKN above, I may need some seat cushions!

We have a SR5 Premium 2wd "2"Runner. While the seats in my Silverado are much more comfortable, the seats in the 4Runner aren't bad. The Premium has power seats, so you can adjust them to your liking. We've taken it on a few road trips and it's perfectly fine. Plus that dinosaur will last forever!

Originally Posted by Rumble
Test drove a new Ridgeline today. Was told the truck didn't have Variable Cylinder Management (VCM), although I was sure it did. The elder salesman even asked another salesman, and he also said it didn't have it. So, my wife and I asked to go for a spin. Didn't let the salesman copy my license, but he let me drive it as long as he could go along. I liked the truck a lot, and my wife loved it. Of course, when I got home and checked online, it indeed does have the VCM system. So, is this VCM system to be avoided, or has Honda worked out the bugs?

I'd be more concerned with the GDI crudding up the intakes.

I drove the Ridgeline today. It's a very nice truck. If I wasn't after something a little more "off-road oriented", this would be my choice. It's very composed on the road, with great steering. I prefer a bit more torque in a truck, but the power is sufficient and connected to a smooth shifting transmission that puts the Tacoma-Uhaul to shame. This is a very good, smart design by Honda.

Ask the salesmen if he's planning on ripping you off. Then ask the the sales manager and the finance guy. Let me know what they say.

Originally Posted by UncleDave
As Panda said - Car sales guys rarely know anything about what they are selling.

I've got a gen 2 Ridgeline (love it) best midsized truck Ive ever owned - by a lot.

VCM is much ado about nothing. I wouldn't bother with a defeat.

After break it its super tight with oil and the VCM is all but unnoticeable -a bit like pulling a high gear without downshifting if you can feel or discern it at all.

UD

I sold cars for about a year. There were certain vehicles that I knew a LOT about. Then, there were others that were the dark side of the moon to me. I was just honest about all of it with the customer. Sure, it cost me a few sales along the way, but my reputation was worth more than a few hundred bucks to me, even as a 19 year-old. It also earned me a few sales along the way. One customer wanted an F150 with leather, and we had one just how he wanted it, but in cloth. Wanted to buy from ME, though, so actually paid to have us do an aftermarket interior on that truck! Another customer had a Pantera, 1972, just shy of show-room ready, brought it up so I could drive it (I did not...that getrag is $$$$!) and took me for a ride in it, etc. I met some really cool people selling cars. I also learned that people cannot be trusted, first hand. It was my first introduction to the fact that people, as a whole, are a bunch of animals.

My girlfriend has a 2014 Honda Pilot. It has almost 80K miles on it right now (maybe a bit under/over). I've never noticed the VCM, and she hasn't said anything about it. No issues.
Her parents own 2 Ridgelines, at present, and love both of them. No issues of any nature that I'm aware of.

I personally would not buy a Ridgeline, preferring a Toyota truck to it, but then, I also wouldn't buy a truck at all, so I won't weigh in there, other than to say I've never heard a Ridgeline owner speak ill, nor do I know anyone who had issues with their VCM 3.5L Honda.

Originally Posted by Ws6
As Panda said - Car sales guys rarely know anything about what they are selling.

I've got a gen 2 Ridgeline (love it) best midsized truck Ive ever owned - by a lot.

After break it its super tight with oil and the VCM is all but unnoticeable -a bit like pulling a high gear without downshifting if you can feel or discern it at all.

UD

I sold cars for about a year. There were certain vehicles that I knew a LOT about. Then, there were others that were the dark side of the moon to me. I was just honest about all of it with the customer. Sure, it cost me a few sales along the way, but my reputation was worth more than a few hundred bucks to me, even as a 19 year-old. It also earned me a few sales along the way. One customer wanted an F150 with leather, and we had one just how he wanted it, but in cloth. Wanted to buy from ME, though, so actually paid to have us do an aftermarket interior on that truck! Another customer had a Pantera, 1972, just shy of show-room ready, brought it up so I could drive it (I did not...that getrag is $$$$!) and took me for a ride in it, etc. I met some really cool people selling cars. I also learned that people cannot be trusted, first hand. It was my first introduction to the fact that people, as a whole, are a bunch of animals.

My girlfriend has a 2014 Honda Pilot. It has almost 80K miles on it right now (maybe a bit under/over). I've never noticed the VCM, and she hasn't said anything about it. No issues.
Her parents own 2 Ridgelines, at present, and love both of them. No issues of any nature that I'm aware of.

I personally would not buy a Ridgeline, preferring a Toyota truck to it, but then, I also wouldn't buy a truck at all, so I won't weigh in there, other than to say I've never heard a Ridgeline owner speak ill, nor do I know anyone who had issues with their VCM 3.5L Honda.

I wanted a Tacoma, until I drove one. The Honda Ridgeline is better for 95% of the time you are driving. The only advantage the Tacoma has is its off-road ability and resale value. I like that Honda went with a AWD system in the Ridgeline. Dry/rain/sleet/snow... it will be fully functioning at all times.

Originally Posted by buster
Originally Posted by Ws6

UD

I wanted a Tacoma, until I drove one. The Honda Ridgeline is better for 95% of the time you are driving. The only advantage the Tacoma has is its off-road ability and resale value. I like that Honda went with a AWD system in the Ridgeline. Dry/rain/sleet/snow... it will be fully functioning at all times.

Agreed, but that's why I have a CUV. I view the Ridgeline as a CUV with a bed. If I wanted a truck, I'd get a truck, if I wanted a Ridgeline, I'd buy what I have now, instead, if that makes sense.

thumbsup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back