2022 Honda Ridgeline - Is VCM OK Now?

Our brother-in-law has a 2022 Honda Ridgeline. I believe it still runs the venerable DOHC 3.5 but now with a 10-speed automatic. It's a very nice truck.

I've heard a lot about premature engine problems due to the VCM (Honda's variable-displacement system that shuts down one bank of cylinders when the engine is under light load).

There is lots of anecdotal evidence that the cylinders that are shut down later experience premature wear, and burn oil.

Is it advisable to disable the VCM, or has Honda got this sorted out?

Can the problems be mitigated by using a certain type of motor oil?

If it's better to disable the VCM, what is the best method?

Is it best to leave the VCM functional until the powertrain warranty has expired?

How much fuel does the VCM save?

Thank you, all!

Although the newer VCM seems less prone to the stuck rings and oil consumption, the active motor mounts still have to counteract the vibrations. My 2015 Pilot had no oil consumption, though I did have one random CEL pointing to a VCM control valve that went away. I put in an S-VCM controller and I like not having the shudders and vibration. No noticeable difference in mileage, no CELs, and smooth sailing.

I have a 2017 Ridge with the gen 3 VCM and I have no plans to disable it.

I find the shuddering commentary way overblown, and liken it to shifting a manual into top gear at a low but still workable speed, but since few have ever driven manuals so they do not have this as a reference.

Even though I ran top flight SN and SN + or better oils, when I ran a sump of hpl cleaner it pulled some gunk out I hadn't seen - not much, but enough to where I'll be looking for it going forward.

I think at this point it’s more then anecdotal. It’s rather well documented I would say on this board alone by Trav and others.

The hopes and dreams of new owners that Honda resolved this issue remind me of the new Mazda owners hoping and dreaming Mazda fixed the rust issues, only to find out few years down the road they didn’t, when it was too late.

IIRC, the VCM can be turned off like auto start/stop.
I mean, if engaging the VCM causes problems down the road, this could cost more in engine problems than the fuel savings that it was designed for.
No, it can't, at least on Gen 3.

And VCM has caused problems for people since it was first used. There's stories all over forums about peoples' oil consumption issues, fouling plugs, stuck/gummed up pistons, varnish/sludge, etc.

Last edited:
I mean, if engaging the VCM causes problems down the road, this could cost more in engine problems than the fuel savings that it was designed for.
VCM can't be turned off. It is programmed for CAFE std's etc., no buttons to do anything. The ECON button can be turned on and off which affects shift characteristics, throttle response and air conditioning. Only way to shut VCM is with either S-VCM or VCM Tuner II that I know of.

On Piloteers many discussions because of the VCM effects on TC slip as well as the motor mounts etc. The 9 speeds seem to be OK with regular maintenance. The 6 speeds have many complaints due to low mileage ones needing new TC or tranny, same with higher mileage even if you did regular fluid changes. Color of tranny fluid is not an indicator but add some off smells and it's concerning. I posted my tranny fluid test results and that was with VCM disabled for 25k miles, added factory cooler and multiple fluid changes.

First picture is factory DW-1 at 21k after one D&F already at dealer, middle bottle is new DW-1, right is VML as comprison. I pulled that while installing the cooler and then did 2 more D&F's. VCM was not disabled until 25k. This was mostly just around town and family trips, highway to cheer competitions. There was 1-2 towing use of less than 2000lbs total, 200 miles round trip, NY area traffic so less than 55mph on I-495/I-95.

Second picture is same DW-1 used, DW-1 new, VML. That was at 42k after 6 D&F's already.
058DEC11-.jpg

IMG_8538.jpg

VCM is VCM in my opinion. Why Honda did that is beyond me. My wife’s 19 6 speed gets about 27-29 mpgs with it disabled. The 10 speed I would be curious what the mpgs would be. I still drain and fill the 6 speed every 30K. The 10 speed uses some expensive stuff.

it is highly advisable to disable VCM for 6 speed autos. Plenty of evidence VCM eventually destroying the torque converters. VCM system delivers no benefits in terms of mpg improvement. Recently drove to florida (with S-VCM installed) and managed to get best mpg my '16 pilot has seen in 75K miles of ownership - 27.5 mpg (hand calculated).

With VCM active and putting the PID into OBD Fusion, it is interesting to see how often it goes from 6 cyl to 3 cyl.

I'll need to discuss with service advisor future plans. Already planning on vehicle swaps at the house so I use Pilot more. The VCM engages more as designed on easy drives like highway commute. Wife has all the short trip lead foot so no slip induced from that.

My plans for the life of the Pilot and transmission have changed. It will either have issues and be replaced/repaired before warranty expires or be replaced with another vehicle attached to a new transmission. It gets factory trans filter and D&F on factory severe service schedule, sad that I'm viewing it that way. Having VCM disabled and many D&F's for 25k might have delayed the inevitable that much longer.

All Ridgeline's through 2023 still run the SOHC J35. I believe only the newest Pilot has the DOHC version. The new Honda mfg'd 10 speed is also only available in the newest Pilot. The 6 speed was a Honda made product, I believe, and has been trouble for many. The 9 speed was ZF developed and has been very reliable. I'd give the new 10 speed a while before I jumped in.

[QUOTE="I No, it can't, at least on Gen 3.

And VCM has caused problems for people since it was first used. There's stories all over forums about peoples' oil consumption issues, fouling plugs, stuck/gummed up pistons, varnish/sludge, etc.
[/QUOTE]
My mistake! I mistook being “disabled” as being turned off.

Why not? Vcm turns on under low load cruising conditions, so keep your foot to the floor and it'll never kick on

It sounds like the general consensus is that it's best to disable or "muzzle" the VCM. Can this be done without invalidating the powertrain warranty, or is it best to wait until the warranty has expired?

Back