Honda VCM Disabling Questions

Not criticizing at all, but do you tow or run it hard?

Isnt that like 3.5 HTHS?

Why did you decide to go with such a thick oil, especially being in NY?
Tow, not heavy, occasionally. Wife drives it like she stole it. I wanted the better additive pack based on on my UOA. BITOG kind of suggested going up one grade to the 5W-30 for MOFT and HTHS. Some of these motors now have recalls also for bearing issues.

3 other vehicles in my fleet call for 5W-20 (CRV, Forte, Tucson) (Tucson says 5W-30 OK). My Accord has M1 0W-40 currently.

I bought a bunch of oils on sale and most 5W-30. Wanted a bit better for the '21 Tucson with 2.0 that also is really short trip, fuel dilution etc.

CRV has 232k, Forte has 182k. Accord has 105k. Pilot is least of my fleet at 62k.

Tucson is son's fiancé with only 18k but shop was using syn blend and it was disgusting at 6k/1 year OCI's. Now will be full syn and 3k/6 months.

So, funny you mention this. I have a 2022 MDX type S with the J30AC. 3.0 turbo charged. It has VCM and I installed S-VCM on my MDX over the winter time and I swear that it doesn’t work. I should say that the S-VCM works as intended, lowering the coolant temp to 165 degrees, but I swear the MDX still kicks into 3 cylinder mode. I don’t own a scanner that will show my cylinder deactivation but I will be driving and I can hear the tone of the exhaust change and it’s not stiffing gears.
I use VeePeak BLE+ with OBD Fusion. You can add the PID for #of cylinders.

View rece.jpg

I don't know if that really means it's "hard on oil" but it seems to me that quality oil is a good idea in these vans. Plus, people who run VCM often have problems with stuck rings and high oil consumption.
Many posts in the forums of users that were told they needed motor rebuilds etc. as described. They added a VCM disabling version and some early OCI's and problems resolved, no rebuild.

I also wanted it for the TC slip, and electronic motor mounts. Lots of things "working" so you don't feel the transition to 3 cyl and an unbalanced motor.

This was to the beach, 7-8 stops, and back. Max speed was 75, most was back roads. 250ish miles total.

Our typical "commute" average is 19-21.
That’s great for hitting 75 mph!

Currently I think the computer in ours is showing around 21. We’re usually doing around 80. Wife’s commute is 60 miles round trip, all but about 10
miles of that is interstate.

Is that displayed on your phone?

What all can you do with it?
Yes on my iphone. You can pick the different monitors that you want to watch. It does data logging that you can export and review if you want.

I used it on the trips towing trailer and other family trips to monitor transmission temps and to see if my external cooler was helping. My Pilot has the 6 speed transmission that is "fragile" so at least knowing what is happening might let me help adjust earlier.

With the # of cyl showing I was able to see and adjust driving style to get VCM to engage. My service advisor said it would be easier to replace transmission if trouble codes while under factory powertrain warranty. I'm still covered under my extended warranty but the powertrain would have been less involvement.

I use an iOttie windshield mount so it is easy to see but not in the way. I put a USB charging port on left side of steering wheel in all my cars so I can keep phone charged.

Been contemplating getting a VCM muzzler for my wifes 2020 Pilot. Only has 20K miles on it. Which muzzler is best and doesn't have any issues?

Our SVCM sometimes goes a little haywire. Temp drops to cold. I’ve had it installed for three years now. I contacted the company and they’re sending me a new one just pay shipping. Gotten as high as 30 mpgs.

Back