2020 Ridgeline

I have a 2020 Ridgeline with 45k miles. No problems I can tell. I do get misfires from mainly cylinder # 6 and now # 1 . NO codes. My scan tool counts about 1 per min. I changed the plugs no help. Honda dealership says no problems. I asked about an induction cleaning and they dont do them unless they see a problem.

My question is my mechanic I trust recommends an induction cleaning . Is 45k miles too soon?
Is it to risky? cause more problems that good? Do it at A higher mileage?

thanks

Is this a Direct Injected engine? if not, don't waste your money on induction cleaning. If it is DI, the milage is too low (IMHO) to need cleaning.

Id tried to disable the VCM it makes the engine run rich because the ECU thinks the engine never warms up.
I dont notice VCM otherwise

I think its slow carbon build up. It started with # 6 with about 1 misfire a min. now # 1 is about 1 misfire every 2 min.

Mileage isn't the only determining factor for whether you need an induction cleaning or not. Not everyone can pull an intake manifold off for inspection to figure out what a good interval will be.

Why wait to it becomes a major problem, which will require the fools method, and heavy shop profit, of media blasting?

I'd definitely get an induction cleaning. But, if you can't DIY, I would verify with the mechanic on what method/brand/type of cleaning he will perform and at what cost. Besides your mechanic, can also contact BG for shops that can do IVD GDI cleaning and Valvoline quicklubes VIOC also have a proven IVD cleaner too.

Start now with a bottle of quality FI cleaner, like Techron PI Bg44k SI1 Regane, Max-Clean, to rule out a dirty injector or excessive carbon. If that dosen't help after a tank full of driving, then get the induction cleaning.

I have a 2020 Ridgeline with 45k miles. No problems I can tell. I do get misfires from mainly cylinder # 6 and now # 1 . NO codes. My scan tool counts about 1 per min. I changed the plugs no help. Honda dealership says no problems. I asked about an induction cleaning and they dont do them unless they see a problem.

My question is my mechanic I trust recommends an induction cleaning . Is 45k miles too soon?
Is it to risky? cause more problems that good? Do it at A higher mileage?

thanks
I've been observing same rate of misfires on my '16 Pilot. no codes. several month later injectors gave up and Honda replaced them free of charge (there's TBS for a certain code that pops up when on of the injectors fails). If you've never had them replaced they could potentially be on the way out. After replacement, misfire count drop to 3-5 for a couple of hours trip.

Also, I have S-VCM installed so not sure if this has any effect on the misfire count (I doubt it has but just to let you know)

A single misfire/minute is not an actual problem. Direct injection engines have more idle misfires than port injection, especially when cold.

Thanks every one.

Good ideas. I have a 2020 and Honda claims these injectors usually dont have a problem

Back