2013 Honda Fit - OLM @ 90% after 1 year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: wing0
Yes. In a way, I am more concerned about the warranty part of things than the oil inside the engine.

I can even imagine that if I were to bring the car into dealership, they can just reset the OLM on me without doing any work.
It would be hard for me to prove that they didn't change the oil. That's how new the oil looks right now.

Then I would think you have your answer, change it based on the 1 year statement.

Yes. In a way, I am more concerned about the warranty part of things than the oil inside the engine.

I can even imagine that if I were to bring the car into dealership, they can just reset the OLM on me without doing any work.
It would be hard for me to prove that they didn't change the oil. That's how new the oil looks right now.

Oil always looks lighter on the dipstick then it actually is in the oil pan.

Oil will run you $20 from Walmart. A new engine is what, $3-4k? Why take that risk?

If the car isn't driven that much, change the oil every year and call it a day.

Would Honda be a [censored] and bring this up in later repairs, because of time instead of mileage?

I also think dumping FF at 1200km is very wasteful.

Who gives a [censored] if it is wasteful? It a car valued at 10's of thousands of dollars vs a $30 oil change. The earth will be fine dude.

Originally Posted By: Chris B.

Who gives a [censored] if it is wasteful? It a car valued at 10's of thousands of dollars vs a $30 oil change. The earth will be fine dude.

Hahaha, because one oil change will surely doom the car.
crackmeup2.gif
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: Gabe
The FF isn't a special oil. The reason we see different additives in a FF is from the assembly lube.

Sorry, that's not correct. See the link below.

Originally Posted By: doitmyself
. . .in a recent thread someone posted that the Honda owners manual states the following. . . .

"Your Honda engine was delivered with an oil that is specially formulated for new engines that have not yet developed their "natural" wear patterns and may contain minute particles from the manufacturing process.

American Honda strongly recommends this special oil be left in the engine long enough for these wear patterns to develop, usually until the first maintenance interval specified in your Owner's Manual, based on your specific driving conditions."

jfi, that advice is no longer in the newer (2012-13) owners manuals. It, however, is on Honda's "official" owners website -- see http://owners.honda.com/help/faqs# -- along with a lot of other helpful advice for new and not-so-new Honda owners.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
If it wasn't for the warranty I would say two years is good but dump it at a year to avoid any warranty headache.

There is another option, you know. The OP can buy the oil and filter he will eventually use but not change the oil or filter now. He then can continue to drive the car until the MM indicates the OC is due. The oil certainly is good for more than 12 months, and the receipt's dated so he has what he needs for warranty purposes, should that issue surface later.

I'd simply do the $20 drain and fill of the oil ONLY. Leave the oil filter on and we can then close this thread.

Originally Posted By: Hounds
Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
If it wasn't for the warranty I would say two years is good but dump it at a year to avoid any warranty headache.

There is another option, you know. The OP can buy the oil and filter he will eventually use but not change the oil or filter now. He then can continue to drive the car until the MM indicates the OC is due. The oil certainly is good for more than 12 months, and the receipt's dated so he has what he needs for warranty purposes, should that issue surface later.

Problem with that is in the event of anything bad happening, the FF could be easily identified with a UOA.
Ir would also be pretty obvious that the drain plug had not been touched by a wrench in the field.
You could of course skate on the oil filter, since Honda recommends a change every other OCI.
This is a bit of a conundrum.
OTOH, Honda recommends running the FF to 15% MM.
OTOH, Honda also specifies changes once a year.
The oil is probably fine, although it might have high moisture just from short trip use as well as disuse.
A decently long drive would evaporate that.
The OP could just go ahead and change the FF, which would respect Honda's OM recommendations wrt OCIs.
The OP might try an email to Honda asking for advise.
The OP's grandfather will probably not need to use the warranty, but if he does, it would be nice to know that there'd be no problems in doing so.

Actually 5% or 1 year. 15% means "Service Due Soon". 5% means "Service Due Now". Yes, I am picky. =)

Originally Posted By: onemig
Honda recommends 15% or 1 yr., which ever comes first.

After warranty is up, you can do as you please.

Originally Posted By: SilverGGA
Actually 5% or 1 year. 15% means "Service Due Soon". 5% means "Service Due Now". Yes, I am picky. =)

Originally Posted By: onemig
Honda recommends 15% or 1 yr., which ever comes first.

After warranty is up, you can do as you please.

This guy speaks the truth. I don't understand why so many people post that the DEALERSHIP tells them to come in for service @ 15%

Originally Posted By: rossn2
Quote:
As the FF is a special break-in oil

Someone please educate this person!
laugh.gif
whistle.gif

He is correct that the FF is a special oil Honda uses for break in. It has been discussed in detail on this forum.

Why need a discussion when Honda tells you it is, on their website, and on the owner's manual?

Honda says their cars have 4 wheels too, but if some people choose to argue against it...

Originally Posted By: Chris B.

He is correct that the FF is a special oil Honda uses for break in. It has been discussed in detail on this forum.

Why need a discussion when Honda tells you it is, on their website, and on the owner's manual?

Well, to be fair, sometimes owner's manuals are "dumbed down" enough to get the point across without getting too far into technical details. I think Honda's point is they don't want the owner prematurely changing the oil, because all of those break-in friendly materials would be exchanged out, and they're chosen to say simply that it has a "special break-in oil". It may very well be that it's a "typical" engine oil combined with stout assembly lubes and pastes. It's much easier (wouldn't you agree?) to simply say that it has special break-in oil, rather than explain that some special assembly lubricant is used on some engine parts and the additives of this assembly lubricant mix-in with the oil during use. Some customers wouldn't understand what that meant.

I think the language in the owner's manual and on the website is intended more to get a point across than to describe the exact nature of the factory fill engine oil.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd

Well, to be fair, sometimes owner's manuals are "dumbed down" enough to get the point across without getting too far into technical details. I think Honda's point is they don't want the owner prematurely changing the oil, because all of those break-in friendly materials would be exchanged out, and they're chosen to say simply that it has a "special break-in oil". It may very well be that it's a "typical" engine oil combined with stout assembly lubes and pastes. It's much easier (wouldn't you agree?) to simply say that it has special break-in oil, rather than explain that some special assembly lubricant is used on some engine parts and the additives of this assembly lubricant mix-in with the oil during use. Some customers wouldn't understand what that meant.

I think the language in the owner's manual and on the website is intended more to get a point across than to describe the exact nature of the factory fill engine oil.

You nailed it on the head with this post. I only want to add that another reason why manufacturers say not to change the oil early is because it would be a huge waste of thousands if not millions of gallons of perfectly good oil and since every manufacturer wants to looks "Green", they recommend not to waste the oil until the regular oil change is due. Manufacturers know that the engine in your Honda, Toyota, Ford, etc, will be "just fine" until the warranty is up, even if you run the FF for 5, 6, 7, 8,000 miles or more.

I remember that many years ago, before the "Green" movement, manufacturers were recommending an early oil change to get the metallic bits out ASAP. My 07 Honda CBR600RR bike for exactly recommended an oil change after 600 miles. Honda obviously thought it was necessary to remove the metallic oil mix outta the block after "break-in" was technically finished. I couldn't agree more.

A typical Honda comes with a 3/36 warranty. I am not sure if the power train warranty is longer. Regardless, I just do not believe Honda is interested in making sure their engine barely lasting until the warranty expires.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back