Honda maintenance minder

Get UOAs if you want to check how longer intervals impact the oil.

The L15A/B (even non-turbo) is anecdotally suffers from fuel dilution, etc. My low mileage city-driving oil changes on a 1.5L non-turbo were about 2.5~3% fuel dilution with UOA samples at 1000~8000 miles. VI, TBN, etc were fine. Besides fuel dilution, other numbers only looked iffy once oil age reached 10000~11000 miles. Dilution only became tolerable at about 12000+ miles driven/year.

For iffier UOAs, changing at MM=15% would have been acceptable.
MM@15% are about 4600~10000 miles. Est MM@0% are about 5000~12000 miles.

The way the OLM works for Honda (we have an '18 CRV) is based on a combination of driving type and a 1 year countdown. The more highway miles you drive, the more miles it takes to get down to the next 10% increment. When we went on a long roadtrip, we were getting well over 1000 miles in between 10% increments on the OLM. When we drive around town, it's typically 400-600 miles in between 10% increments. However, if you drive very few miles, the OLM will start to calibrate to a 1 year calendar date for the OLM to hit 0%.

That said, these cars are pretty bad with fuel dilution so it's a good idea to get the oil changed between 4000 and 5000 miles. Other things that help reduce fuel dilution are using 91 octane fuel and leaving the ECON mode off. Once I started doing these two things, the oil level stopped climbing on the dipstick.

It seems Honda wants me to go 10k or more (21 Pilot) for each oil change before it appears the maintenance minder would say to change the oil. I have been performing the oil change earlier at 7 or 8k so I never got the warning but I have seen it do the same in a 20 CRV Hybrid. The maintenance minder in the hybrid wants to do 10k oil changes as well.

I'm sticking to shorter intervals now at 5k. You'll be fine at 5k, no harm doing it earlier. I did my first oil change at 2k though because of the engine break in BTW.
My wife’s 19 Pilot at 15% olm ranges between 5 and 6500 miles. 5 days a week during the school year it idles for about 45 mins a day during pickups. It sees highway twice a week. 53K on the clock.

Last edited:
Very interesting question since it has the new 2.0 l non-turbo engine. The Maint Minder system is smart so you could folow those intervals and I would suggest changing the filter every oil change. The MM looks at operating time, temperature, and other variables to adjust the oil change interval.

A lot of the internet wisdom on the CRV relates to the oil dilution issue that can impact the 1.5 Turbo engines so it may not pertain well to the 2.0 NA engine you have.

If you want to be extra, I would change it at 30 percent oil life left on Maint Minder and change the oil filter every time since that adds literally 5 minutes of work (after most time is spent removing the splash shield..).

We have a 21 CRV with the 1.5 Turbo and I am trying to change oil at 30 percent and oil filter every time, using Mobil 1 0w20 Extended Performance since the $3 less for none EP oil does not matter to me.

If you change oil ”early” be careful when resetting oil life to make sure you dont reset the other counters.
Also have CRV Turbo, I do an oil extraction at 50% with no filter change then do a dealer oil change at 5%. I'm more comfortable with the dealer oil changes while I still have a warranty.

I prefer to keep my engines clean inside: No sludge/varnish/carbonous material/dirty or stuck piston rings or oil control rings.
I use a low priced full synthetic oil and change my oil and filter every 4k miles / 6 months (whichever comes first).
I totally disregard the oil life monitor.

This is a good thread. This 2014 Honda Odyssey with VCM disabled had significant sludge and varnish after only 70k miles
with 5k mile / 6 month oil change intervals as mentioned in the 1st post. 5k OCI is too long in my opinion.

Last edited:
2014 2.4 Accord engine. I go by the MM, but, change at 15%. That's anywhere between 8000-9500 miles if I'm recalling correctly. It has 118,000 miles on it now, and almost always used about quart per OCI, but, I've recently tried some HPL 0w-20, and I THINK the usage dropped. I'm only at 50% on the oil life at the moment, so, I'm not positive. Going to be interesting to see. (one reason I don't know for certain is I changed the oil filter about 2000 miles into this OCI, in case the oil was loosening some extra dirt/debris, and I'm not certain I replaced exactly the same volume as the filter holds.)

Back