Mobil 1 0W-40, 3k mi OCI, 153k mi, 2013 Cadillac CTS-V

Previous UOA is here. UOA history for this vehicle is available with this search: https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/s...le_only]=1&c[users]=Emperors6&o=date&g=1. Notes from slip that I sent in: "
OLM was at 53%. Changed because oil was six months since last oil change."

Note from oil analyst: "Silicon and Potassium spiked up. All other wear metals within normal ranges."
My reply: "Strange about the spike. I did replace the engine air filter in early June, as well as the entire supercharger and steam cleaned the intake right before the cylinders. Maybe that dislodged some dirt or other contaminants that ended up in the oil which caused the silicon spike. As for the potassium, I did open up the supercharger cooling loop, and some of it probably made it into the supercharger lid, maybe miniscule amount. Would that explain it? The coolant I use is dexcool."

Screenshot 2023-12-27 at 8.25.04 PM.png

Made a wear chart (vertical axis is logarithmic, horizontal is days since first OCI). The spike is concerning, but I'll monitor the trend.

1703726818893.png

Will do next OCI in around 2-3 months (half the usual run) since I am running Mobil 1 0W-40 with HPL Engine Cleaner (30 weight) in preparation of switching to HPL Super Car 0W-40.

I cut open the filter, and attached pics. I didn't see any solids at bottom of filter. As for the filter media, I did see tiny shiny particles, but smaller than grains of sand and very hard to see which seemed pretty typical. Should I squeeze more oil out of the filter media?

1703727090771.png

1703727108178.png

The jug used is an outdated batch. Guessing it's SN Cert and SP is currently in use. Prior was SN Plus.
Calcium reading is thru the roof and Magnesium just celebrated it's first adult birthday.

Being your vehicle is 10 years old, it's a good, matching batch of additives for the vehicle age.

The jug I bought from Walmart in June 2023 in a 3-pack. They were probably clearing old stock. Miles is miles on sample, not total miles on engine.

Next UOA and condition of the used filter should be real interesting.
You're cleaning that engine slowly and doing it the right way.
Others here may comment on your metals results. Stayed flatline in viscosity thru your run. No shearing.

Another thing to note, is my use mode of the car has changed. A lot more short tripping (20-30min at city speeds). Before, it was >70% at highway speeds. Now, I estimate it's around 20-30% of highway use.

Was this FS, Supercar, or ESP 0w-40? I'd say the engine work is suspect for the elevated Potassium & Silicon. It should come down the next test. Since this is a performance car I can see that it was or is pushed a bit hard as seen in the Fe but maybe these engines just shed that. If you could dry the media out more it may very well show more debris. That's been my experience when I do these. It's hard to see anything when it's oiled up like that. Thanks!

This was FS 0w-40 bought from Walmart. For the engine work, I did spend time steam cleaning, vacuuming, and scrubbing the intake runners to get off all the carbon deposits I could. That probably loosened a lot of other junk. I also vacuumed the air filter box inside, scrubbed it with soap and rinsed it. So, yeah that's the suspect. The engine does get revved once in a while, so not driven hard but definitely spirited.

I'll squeeze some more oil of the filter media. I should have used the paper towel trick instead.

Thanks for doing that. I see your now using HPL 0w-40 & do you plan on using another Royal Purple oil filter again?

I'm going to run a few shorter OCIs with Mobil 1 0W-40 FS and HPL Engine Cleaner with some Fram Ultra filters I have (mix of old and new), then I'll give HPL a try.

Back