2012 Honda Civic - First impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Often, a design which looks bad and ugly grows on you. Personally, every E class model change used to make me cringe but given couple of years, I always turned around. Same thing with some Honda models. When I first saw the latest Odyssey, I hated that coffin on the wheel but now it looks good to me.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
Often, a design which looks bad and ugly grows on you. Personally, every E class model change used to make me cringe but given couple of years, I always turned around. Same thing with some Honda models. When I first saw the latest Odyssey, I hated that coffin on the wheel but now it looks good to me.

As an owner of multiple w123 cars, and my father has a w210, Id say that Ive liked every e-class through the current one from the start. Hope this latest grows on me, though at my current rate, Id not be buying an e350 cdi bluetec for 20+ years!

One of my good friends has a 2012 Civic LX. She has had it for a few months and has accumulated over 6,000 trouble-free miles. The interior design does feel a bit less sophisticated than the previous generation, but the quality seems average for the class. Her lifetime average for mpg, per the computer, is about 35 with mostly 80 mph highway driving. The computer is calling for oil changes at approx 10-11k intervals with her driving.

Originally Posted By: Colt
I bought a new '08 Civic LX for my son to use.
The car has over 90K miles and has been bulletproof.
Would buy another in a heartbeat.

The only thing a new Civic and your '08 have in common is the name. The "bulletproof" is long gone.

As for the poster who said the dealer is removing the window stickers, turn them in to the DMV or the state. That's a jailable offense. It's also illegal to attach a dealer "add on" sticker to the factory window sticker.

Originally Posted By: MrCritical
As for the poster who said the dealer is removing the window stickers, turn them in to the DMV or the state. That's a jailable offense. It's also illegal to attach a dealer "add on" sticker to the factory window sticker.

Not in this part of Canada. The Mazda, MB, VW/Audi and Lexus dealers all remove the window stickers from their vehicles.

The Honda dealership used to so the same until another dealership opened 45 minutes away.

The one common denominator is that the closest dealerships of the same make is approximately 2.5 hours away. The only exception is Acura and BMW.

I did buy a Lexus locally here earlier this spring, but their packages are easily grouped in a way that I would know whether or not they are being honest with their pricing.

The only thing a new Civic and your '08 have in common is the name. The "bulletproof" is long gone.

Actually, the 2008 Civic and the 2012 Civic share the same engine and transmissions, so that's a pretty significant fact you seemed to have overlooked! So saying the "bulletproof is long gone" is definitely an incorrect statement.

Originally Posted By: sir1900

Not in this part of Canada. The Mazda, MB, VW/Audi and Lexus dealers all remove the window stickers from their vehicles.

The Honda dealership used to so the same until another dealership opened 45 minutes away.

The one common denominator is that the closest dealerships of the same make is approximately 2.5 hours away. The only exception is Acura and BMW.

I did buy a Lexus locally here earlier this spring, but their packages are easily grouped in a way that I would know whether or not they are being honest with their pricing.

I meant to say that the one common denominator among the dealerships that don't have the window stickers is that the closest dealerships of the same make is approximately 2.5 hours away. Only Acura and BMW, even though they don't have a competing dealership nearby, do leave the window stickers on their vehicles.

Originally Posted By: Patman

Actually, the 2008 Civic and the 2012 Civic share the same engine and transmissions, so that's a pretty significant fact you seemed to have overlooked! So saying the "bulletproof is long gone" is definitely an incorrect statement.

Not at all. I'm saying they aren't built to the same quality standard.
smile.gif

Last edited:

smile.gif

But when it comes to what makes a car "bulletproof", the engine and transmission are the two biggest items there, so my point is that the 2012 can still be considered bulletproof, since it still retains those two items from the 06-11 Civics. I think time will prove that the 2012 Civics are just as reliable as previous models.

Originally Posted By: Patman

smile.gif

But when it comes to what makes a car "bulletproof", the engine and transmission are the two biggest items there, so my point is that the 2012 can still be considered bulletproof, since it still retains those two items from the 06-11 Civics. I think time will prove that the 2012 Civics are just as reliable as previous models.

Have to respectfully disagree. Early GM 3.6 engines were basically bulletproof. Late models eat timing chains like popcorn. 6AT in Acadia, Traverse, Enclave have much higher fail rate. Components manufactured to much lower standard than previous models.

Have to respectfully disagree. Early GM 3.6 engines were basically bulletproof. Late models eat timing chains like popcorn. 6AT in Acadia, Traverse, Enclave have much higher fail rate. Components manufactured to much lower standard than previous models.

I'm interested in what makes you think the 2012 Civic is not as bulletproof as the older models? Do you know a lot of people with 2012 Civics that have been unreliable? Or are you just assuming they won't be reliable because the media doesn't like the new Civic? Until this car has been out for a few years and the reliability of it has been established, you really can't say that this car isn't as reliable as it's predecessor.

"as reliable as it's predecessor." Ah, yes. I was waiting for you to go there. Thanks for taking the bait.

Google search is your friend.

There is an UNTOLD number of cracked Civic engine blocks (2008) before/after recall. Then go to the tranny failures.

Bulletproof, my [censored].

"as reliable as it's predecessor." Ah, yes. I was waiting for you to go there. Thanks for taking the bait.

Google search is your friend.

There is an UNTOLD number of cracked Civic engine blocks (2008) before/after recall. Then go to the tranny failures.

Bulletproof, my [censored].

If you do a google search on just about any vehicle you're gonna see a lot of problems show up, as the people with problems are obviously going to be the most vocal. I'm aware of the engine block problems on some Civics, but it really is a small percentage of the overall amount of cars made, it's not like it's happening to one in every ten cars or anything like that. The Civic has been the best selling car in Canada for a very long time now, and for good reason. It is reliable transportation that doesn't cost that much. I'm confident that I'm going to get many years of good service out of mine.

I guess we're going to have to agree to disagree on this one, as you've obviously got a hate on for the Civic.

You always have to beware of "internet multiplication". This is the apparent excess of negative info due to repetition on the net. It's not always really representative of the facts. You seldom hear from the many happy owners.

That said, Honda has a very tarnished rep around here due to actual experiences. They may not be what they used to be.

I don't "hate" the Civic at all. If I liked the exterior of the car it would have been on our "check it out" list when my wife and I bought a Cruze.

I just wouldn't associate the word "bulletproof" with it.

Honda and Toyota did build "bulletproof" cars. Once upon a time.

Originally Posted By: sir1900

We didn't buy the Focus because we thought they are overpriced. It looks good, but for less money, I can buy the Civic. My parents are loyal Ford customers, but they always seem to have a large out-of-pocket expense soon after the comprehensive warranty expires. Hmmm....

I really like the Focus 5-door, but if you want a manual transmission model here you HAVE to get the base SE model with plastic hubcaps and drum rear brakes and it will cost you more than a Civic LX. A little over $18,000. And then the salesman will tell you that is below sticker and that you are lucky to get it at that price. Then you get the whole spiel about how much better the "Powershift" transmission is.
"But I don't want a dual-clutch transmission. I want a manual"
"Oh, this is better than a manual, it doesn't have a clutch...."
"It actually has two wet clutches, but I still don't want one."
"No, look! It doesn't have a clutch" {points at driver floorboard}
33.gif

Cruze is still on my short-list. Of all the cars in that class, it interests me the most. Really rather have a Camaro, but I want one that performs like the 3.6 and gets 40mpg. That ain't gonna happen any more than Chrysler will put a 6spd manual in a Pentastar Challenger. Wanting truly is the cause of all suffering.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back