2017 Elantra SE or 2017 Civic LX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

After testing BOTH the 2017 Hyundai Elantra SE Value Edition and the 2017 Honda Civic LX Sedan, I am still a bit torn between which to pull the trigger on.
The new Elantra MAY be risky for long term reliability since its first year model, or it that idea overblown? The Civic LX had a noticeably more nice ride quality. I definitely do not want the Civic EX trim with that god awful hideous new alloy wheel Honda is using.

Any here own either of these models and have test driven both? What are your thoughts? IT WILL be one of these 2 cars I purchased.

I drove all the other in class..Corolla, Mazda3, Focus, Jetta, Golf. The VW Golf was the only other I liked, BUT I am scared away due to it horrible LONG term reliability and high maintenance costs over a 10-12 year period.

Thanks
Michael in NJ

Last edited:
It will come down to personal preference as always. With that being said I personally like the elantra better. Hyundai and Kia are on a mission to be best auto manufacturer they can possibly be and it really shows. They are clearly on an upward trend and building momentum.

Happy choosing!

The first year reliability of the 10 generation civic is at the bottom of the barrel according to Consumer Reports. They may or may not have the bugs worked out for the 2017's. If you do go with the Civic staying with the LX is a smart move, avoiding some of the complexities of the higher trims. I would also suggest a manual transmission if you can and like driving them.

Have a 2017 Elantra Value Edition. Love it!

I can not imagine Honda for match the Value Edition's features for the same price...

The Home Link, iPhone and Android compatibility, and the advanced backup camera are really must haves.

Originally Posted By: knerml
Have a 2017 Elantra Value Edition. Love it!

I can not imagine Honda for match the Value Edition's features for the same price...

The Home Link, iPhone and Android compatibility, and the advanced backup camera are really must haves.

I've rented both and I agree. Not only that the new Civic is kind of ugly.

Lot's of truth posted here. Honda is not the darling quality king it used to be while, at the same time, Hyundai/Kia have upped their game tremendously. It looks like the Elantra is the better choice here for value and quality. I know you have solidly made your mind up and settled on these two models but did you give the Cruze and Focus any looks? They are pretty comparable to what you were looking at and I think are pretty good options.

knerml,

So you are happy with the ELanta SE? I liked it a lot too, but the suspension, especially the rear, still felt a bit harsh over even the slightly bumps, just the the 2016 model did. I also felt the engine on hard acceleration sounded a bit loud and unrefined. Other than that, I loved it. On the other hand, the 2017 was a joy to drive! Very planted suspension, smooth over the bumps and even the CVT when accelerating hard sounds refined.

Mr Nice, I too thought the NEW Civic was kinda busy looking and over designed.....at first. But as the months went on and seeing TONS of them now on the roads here in Central NJ,I now love the look, especially in the Modern Steel Metallic color!

No doubt the new Elantra is great too, I wanna decide by this weekend!

Last edited:
GM Boy....

Yes i have, but as im sure you know, the reliability of the Cruze and Focus have been ROCK BOTTOM from almost the first model year! NO THANKS to either of them!

Although, I will say, the new Cruze is a sweet ride!

Last edited:
I've owned a few Hyundai's over the years and would consider them before a Honda because of their warranty and value. You can even buy a 10 year 100,000 milebumper to bumper warranty to cover everything on them if you choose and it's not that expensive. I own a 2010 Elantra GLS and it is a nice car as far as being inexpensive, I bought it certified preowned and it has been problem free.

After a lot of research and driving I ended up with a 17 Cruze hatchback with the RS package and convenience package and so far it has been great. I went with the manual 6 speed and it has been right at 37 mpg calculated. No regrets yet.

Definitely the Civic. You also have to consider the depreciation and resale value of both cars. Stay away fro Cruze and Focus. I have the Civic in Modern Steel Metallic. Love it! So fun to drive!

duck,

Not me! I think those alloys are WAY too busy looking! Give me a headache just looking at them! IF I go with the LX trim, I will probably replace steel wheels with a more conservative style alloy.

Last edited:
Go with whichever one you like. I personally wouldn't be able to deal with the hideousness of the Civic and the 0 headroom.

Originally Posted By: flinter
duck,

Not me! I think those alloys are WAY too busy looking! Give me a headache just looking at them! IF I go with the LX trim, I will probably replace steel wheels with a more conservative style alloy.

Not really a huge fan of the trend toward machine cut and black painted alloys lately. I’m not crazy about VW’s wheels on the 17 models either. Still they seem less offensive in person and on darker colors. Civic is a pretty busy design anyhow and it favors larger wheels IMO, still good selection of wheels from mild to wild at Tire Rack - larger tires may impact the ride.

If I had to go buy a new car today as a live with it daily driver I would probably be a Jetta 1.4t, though a Civic 1.5t might also make the short list.

Talked to a guy the other day with a new Civic EX-T and said he got 44 mpg on a highway trip.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back