oil consumption for 2017 Elantra

Hi,
I own a 2017 Hyundai Elantra Value Edition with 80,000 miles now. It still runs great and nice and smooth. I noticed today when I checked my oil level it is just slightly above the 1/2 mark on dip stick after 2100 miles since my last oil change. (I did check it right after the change, and the level was right at the FULL mark). I added just about a 1/4 quart of oil and that brought it right back to FULL. Is this amount of oil consumption normal for a 2017 Elantra with 80,000 miles, or is this a oil burning problem? The engine is port injected, naturally aspirated (NO GDI or turbo). I just recently started using Pennzoil high mileage full synthetic 5W-20 oil. Is is the best oil to use with 80,000 miles, or should I switch back to regular full synthetic? Should I trash the car and just buy a slightly used Civic or Corolla?

Also, there is no indication, that I can see, that it is burning oil. I still get 35/36 MPG driving back and forth to work in the suburbs of central NJ with stop and go traffic. The tail pipe show no black residue when i wipe the inside with white towel, no smoke either.

Any thoughts??

Thanks

Last edited:
Hi,
I own a 2017 Hyundai Elantra Value Edition with 80,000 miles now. It still runs great and nice and smooth. I noticed today when I checked my oil level it is just slightly above the 1/2 mark on dip stick after 2100 miles since my last oil change. (I did check it right after the change, and the level was right at the FULL mark). I added just about a 1/4 quart of oil and that brought it right back to FULL. Is this amount of oil consumption normal for a 2017 Elantra with 80,000 miles, or is this a oil burning problem? The engine is port injected, naturally aspirated (NO GDI or turbo). I just recently started using Pennzoil high mileage full synthetic 5W-20 oil. Is is the best oil to use with 80,000 miles, or should I switch back to regular full synthetic? Should I trash the car and just buy a slightly used Civic or Corolla?

Also, there is no indication, that I can see, that it is burning oil. I still get 35/36 MPG driving back and forth to work in the suburbs of central NJ with stop and go traffic. The tail pipe show no black residue when i wipe the inside with white towel, no smoke either.

Any thoughts??

Thanks
Nuthin' wrong with it. Just go back to the oil that didn't burn.

You ask about trashing the car when its using .25qt in 2000 miles?

Also if it was halfway down on the dipstick it would require .5qt to come to the full line as the distance between the 2 marks is 1qt.

Taking your post at face value I will answer: no you dont need to trash your car for using .25qt in 2000 miles.

you might want to check it more than once every 2000 miles though.

1qt in 600 miles is failing a consumption test or aprox 13x more oil than your elantra is possibly using.

Tailpipe black residue is common with GDI since yours isnt GDI.. I'd not expect black sooty residue there.

With 1 quart per 4k miles it's not bad. Not enough to show oil residue in the pipe this early on. I think i'd keep it and bump to 0/5w-40. Zero harm and your mpg will barely a drop third of a mile. A member runs 20w-50 in his just for the heck of it. Still gets great mpg.

You ask about trashing the car when its using .25qt in 2000 miles?

Also if it was halfway down on the dipstick it would require .5qt to come to the full line as the distance between the 2 marks is 1qt.

Taking your post at face value I will answer: no you dont need to trash your car for using .25qt in 2000 miles.

you might want to check it more than once every 2000 miles though.

1qt in 600 miles is failing a consumption test or aprox 13x more oil than your elantra is possibly using.

Tailpipe black residue is common with GDI since yours isnt GDI.. I'd not expect black sooty residue there.
Ok, than maybe the level was more that 1/2. I am sure I used just 1/4 to get back to FULL

With 1 quart per 4k miles it's not bad. Not enough to show oil residue in the pipe this early on. I think i'd keep it and bump to 0/5w-40. Zero harm and your mpg will barely a drop third of a mile. A member runs 20w-50 in his just for the heck of it. Still gets great mpg.
Ok, I think I better stick to the OEM recommended oil grade (5W-20) at least till I get to 100K for warranty purposes. I think I will switch back to regular full synthetic instead of the high mileage to see if that makes a difference or not.

Ok, I think I better stick to the OEM recommended oil grade (5W-20) at least till I get to 100K for warranty purposes.
If you want but the belief that the dealer is going to do a uoa to check the exact viscosity is a farce. They check the level first to see if it was ran dry then drain to check how much comes out, if little comes out automatic void. If they see it wasn't dry they'll pull the vc and check to see if it looks sludged and they don't actually make that decision they have the tech snap pics and send to Hyundai to decide. If it is then void. If they see it looks clean enough as some varnish is ok then they won't go further in and just warranty it. If anything you would actually be improving the chance of having the engine be warrantied. The level may be higher when it has some issue on the side of the road and it'll be cleaner as euro oils do clean better than regular oils.

Ok, I think I better stick to the OEM recommended oil grade (5W-20) at least till I get to 100K for warranty purposes. I think I will switch back to regular full synthetic instead of the high mileage to see if that makes a difference or not.
your manual recommends 5w20 for cafe compliance.
it lists 5w20 5w30 or 10w30.

I'd suggest 5w30.
1694900322208.png

Also .25qt down 2000miles into the an oil change with a different oil.. you have having a severe over-reaction to it using that much oil.
No need to trash your car.

I have been doing 4K mile oil changes since the day I got the car with 10 miles on it. I doubt there will be sludge in the oil!

Rand,

5W-30 regular full synthetic, or high mileage?
not much difference. Buy whatever you like.. be it the super cheap kirkland 5w30, supertech, M1, pennzoil
low mileage high mileage.. doesnt matter.

That engine produces less than 70hp/liter and is very easy on oil (no turbo or gdi etc)

Flinter, if you think about it, you are using less than one teaspoon of oil for every 100 miles you drive.. there being something like 48 teaspoons in a quart.. time to think about something else.

A Hyundai with 80,000 miles is nearing the end of its reliable service life. I’d start thinking about getting rid if it in the next 10-20k.

Until then definitely bump up to 30 weight.

A Hyundai with 80,000 miles is nearing the end of its reliable service life. I’d start thinking about getting rid if it in the next 10-20k.

Until then definitely bump up to 30 weight.
Haha...at 80,000 miles? My father's 2011 Elantra is at 177,000 and still going strong. You are thinking about the Hyundai's of the 90's.

Haha...at 80,000 miles? My father's 2011 Elantra is at 177,000 and still going strong. You are thinking about the Hyundai's of the 90's.
You can make anything last if you dump enough time and money into it.

My parents had two Hyundais that died just after 100k, each with previously warranty-replaced engines. Their CR-V? Still going.

Note I was very specific in my wording: reaching end of reliable service life. If you need reliability, a high mileage Hyundai ain’t going to give you that.

You can make anything last if you dump enough time and money into it.

My parents had two Hyundais that died just after 100k, each with previously warranty-replaced engines. Their CR-V? Still going.

Note I was very specific in my wording: reaching end of reliable service life. If you need reliability, a high mileage Hyundai ain’t going to give you that.
So far, my father as just done basic maintenance on his Elantra with 177K. It think he had to replace the alternator recently though.

Last edited:
Flinter, if you think about it, you are using less than one teaspoon of oil for every 100 miles you drive.. there being something like 48 teaspoons in a quart.. time to think about something else.

Back