Oil dipstick question

I think in the middle is fine. Especially if you're going to do a change in 500 miles. But again, I'd rather have it in the middle, than overfilled.

How many times are we going to go over this? Oil level 1/2 quart low would read below the add mark.
If the level is between the add and full marks, it is OK, especially if another oil service is due in 500 miles. No need to add anything.
No bottom here. In between the Full or max line and add mark are considered by Mfgr's the normal operating range. Except on BITOG where OC is the prevailing wind.
Exactly.

My recommendation is a fresh start. Do the oil change now with a new filter. Insure you're on level ground. Fill to top mark on the dipstick. The next day check the oil level before starting the vehicle. Top off to upper mark if required.

I forgot to add to check your oil the same way . . . the next day after it has sat overnight. This way you'll know the same amount of oil has drained back into the pan and your dipstick measurements will be consistent.

I wouldn't call it "wasteful" to avoid driving around low on oil for 500 miles. Operate the vehicle as it was intended to be operated...... With the oil capacity at the FULL level. Save the $3 bucks somewhere else.
If you agree that changing oil at 3,000 miles isn't wasteful, I'll agree adding that 1/2 quart 500 miles before a change isn't wasteful too.

Most owner's manuals say to check the oil when the engine is at operating temperature, after it has been shut down for a few minutes. What does yours say?

You'll never know if it lost/burned any oil if you didn't record where it was beforehand.

If you agree that changing oil at 3,000 miles isn't wasteful, I'll agree adding that 1/2 quart 500 miles before a change isn't wasteful too.
None of it is "wasteful". Changing oil at 3,000 miles may very well be warranted. Especially if you drive short trips in a cold climate, and never get the oil up to operating temperature.

And I see no reason, in any climate or driving condition, to run around a half quart low on oil. Why not operate the engine at it's full oil capacity?

None of it is "wasteful". Changing oil at 3,000 miles may very well be warranted. Especially if you drive short trips in a cold climate, and never get the oil up to operating temperature.

And I see no reason, in any climate or driving condition, to run around a half quart low on oil. Why not operate the engine at it's full oil capacity?
So we can't agree that min to max is the operating range I guess, which is what some said earlier. In that case, fill it to max, we're all adults here. This is the thinking that dealers thrive upon.

On my Accent it uses about a quart over 7500 mile OCI. At the mid way mark when it's a half quart low I add a half quart to spike the additives.

So we can't agree that min to max is the operating range I guess, which is what some said earlier. In that case, fill it to max, we're all adults here. This is the thinking that dealers thrive upon.
I can agree that it's, "within the operating range". I just prefer it to be at the upper end of it. That is, have the most oil in the system that is both possible, and recommended. After all, why not?

It's the same with fuel. People run around with 1/4 tank or less all the time. It's, "within the operating range". I prefer it to be filled.

I can agree that it's, "within the operating range". I just prefer it to be at the upper end of it. That is, have the most oil in the system that is both possible, and recommended. After all, why not?

It's the same with fuel. People run around with 1/4 tank or less all the time. It's, "within the operating range". I prefer it to be filled.
I'm ok with max, but what if you go over, and the oil is whipped up. Is max, better than min? If there's no leak, I don't think so. If it's checked and it's in the middle, that's where I think people differ. Why top off? With fuel I noticed my wife's car would take 1100 miles for the EVAP to get ready. When we drove around at 1/4 and less it was ready quickly. Just an observation, asked a tech what he thought, he said that might be why it used to take so long, driving around with the tank nearly full.

Except whenever I suggest that, I get hammered by people saying it's unnecessary and wasteful.
Its my money, I earned it honestly, so I will spend it as I choose. I still change the oil in my Xterra every 3500 miles, still use conventional / blend like I always have. It has 390,000 miles on it - I bought it new. I have run multiple vehicles of different brands well past 200K and never had an oil burner. I run 5K OCI in my two newer ones with synthetic. We will see how that goes.

For those saying topping up is a waste, well maybe. But it also adds a few new additives and detergents to the oil, and a full sump helps deal with dilution and keeps from getting hot. Does it matter for 500 miles, likely not.

Its your car, do what you want.

Seems like I have been getting mainly INCORRECT advice here! Most are saying to check when engine is COLD.

I just checked my owner's manual and it clearly states to check the oil after the engine reaches operating temperature, turn off the engine, wait 5 minutes, check oil. Also says to only add oil if the level is at or near the ADD mark! I am thinking I am NOT burning excessive oil. There seems to be no signs of that, at least so far.

Last edited:
Seems like I have been getting mainly INCORRECT advice here! Most are saying to check when engine is COLD.

I just checked my owner's manual and it clearly states to check the oil after the engine reaches operating temperature, turn off the engine, wait 5 minutes, check oil. Also says to only add oil if the level is at or near the ADD mark! I am thinking I am NOT burning excessive oil. There seems to be no signs of that, at least so far.
I think if owners manual says hot, that means the dipstick is calibrated for such. Conventional wisdom was cold. The idea was the oil could return. I don’t really check my cars as there’s never any issue, but when I do, they’re cold (1 is electronic so that’s hot but the computer is reading the level back).

I remember that up until 2010, I never crossed my tires from one side to the other, and my tires were not directional. Someone on the bmw forum said why?? Well I was always told that, as a kid.

Come to find, not reversing the direction of a non directional tire is a 1970s concept…

Back