Oil dipstick question

Hi,

I own a 2017 Hyundai Elantra Value Edition with 75,000 on it now. The car has been flawless. My question is does the oil line on the dipstick ALWAYS has to be right at the FULL line otherwise you are burning oil? I just checked it now and its right in the middle, between ADD and FULL. I do 4000 oil changes ( do a lot of short miles trips and not much highway) with full synthetic and I am due in about 500 miles.
Thanks

Michael in NJ

Some oil consumption is normal. You should add about half a quart if it is halfway between the marks. Keep an eye on it and check for oil leaks.
Everything under the hood is bone dry, no leaks. I stuck a paper towel in the exhaust pipe and wiped all the way around and it came out white, NO black.

Some oil consumption is normal. You should add about half a quart if it is halfway between the marks. Keep an eye on it and check for oil leaks. There are some Hyundais with excessive oil consumption. https://thelemonfirm.com/2022/05/13...awsuit-over-excessive-engine-oil-consumption/
Wow, thanks for the link! My Elantra is on the list, how disappointing! I am wondering if I closely monitor my oil consumption and always maintain the level at close to the FULL mark, will it still be an issue? Also, does it effect EVERY SINGLE car and just some?

Last edited:
Add 1/2 qt then check it tomorrow. Cold. And dont panic yet.
Good plan! I am guessing its NOT burning excessive oil, but better to safe. As I said the oil line is dead right in the middle between ADD and FULL, maybe even a bit more towards the FULL and im due for change in 500 miles. I religiously do 4000 OCI's with FULL synthetic.

Lets start with where was it at after the oil change - with engine warm, having sat for 30 minutes, on a level surface. Yes all that matters.

WIth exactly the factory spec oil change the Toyota in my sig is a little above the full line, and my two Nissans are a little below.

Having said that, 1/2 quart at 4K miles is much to be concerned with. Did you switch oil brands last change? That has some affect on some engines.

Lets start with where was it at after the oil change - with engine warm, having sat for 30 minutes, on a level surface. Yes all that matters.

WIth exactly the factory spec oil change the Toyota in my sig is a little above the full line, and my two Nissans are a little below.

Having said that, 1/2 quart at 4K miles is much to be concerned with. Did you switch oil brands last change? That has some affect on some engines.
What do you mean by "where was it after the oil change"?? Yes, I switched from Super Tech full synthetic 5W-20 to Pennzoil Platinum synthetic 5W-20.

I am not following what you are saying. When I checked the oil about an hour ago, the engine was HOT and DID NOT sit for 30 minutes.

What do you mean by "where was it after the oil change"?? Yes, I switched from Super Tech full synthetic 5W-20 to Pennzoil Platinum synthetic 5W-20.
Well, after the last oil change if you don't know where the oil started at, then you don't know what your using. Was it at the full level when you changed the oil 4000 miles ago?

Also, switching brands can cause some small amount of oil burn for a OCI or two. Well known phenomenon - I don't know why though - someone here might. Even cases where engines will continue to use oil with one brand and it will be less with a different brand.

Also - yes to check your oil properly the engine needs to sit for a bit to get an accurate read - because the oil needs to drain down from the top passages. 30 minutes is probably overkill - maybe 10 minutes would be OK. You can't just shut the engine off and pull the stick though, and expect it to be accurate.

Well, after the last oil change if you don't know where the oil started at, then you don't know what your using. Was it at the full level when you changed the oil 4000 miles ago?

Also, switching brands can cause some small amount of oil burn for a OCI or two. Well known phenomenon - I don't know why though - someone here might. Even cases where engines will continue to use oil with one brand and it will be less with a different brand.

Also - yes to check your oil properly the engine needs to sit for a bit to get an accurate read - because the oil needs to drain down from the top passages. 30 minutes is probably overkill - maybe 10 minutes would be OK. You can't just shut the engine off and pull the stick though, and expect it to be accurate.
Ok, I see what you are saying. I should have checked the dipstick immediately after the oil change, and also I checked it with a HOT engine and did not sit for 10 minutes or so. I will re do this on Saturday the proper way.

I takes a while for all the oil to drain back down to the pan, at least all that can drain back down. One other thing to think about is when you changed the oil last time did you run the engine to fill the filter and let it sit before checking the oil level, just to be sure you were starting with a good fill.

Ok, I see what you are saying. I should have checked the dipstick immediately after the oil change, and also I checked it with a HOT engine and did not sit for 10 minutes or so. I will re do this on Saturday the proper way.
So given you don't really know where you started, its sort of futile at this point.

Next OCI, when the engine is hot part somewhere relatively flat and let it sit 10 minutes, then check the oil. Thats your reference point. Go from there.

Also - you using the same Penzoil this time as well? If it were me, I would - to keep that part consistent at least.

So given you don't really know where you started, its sort of futile at this point.

Next OCI, when the engine is hot part somewhere relatively flat and let it sit 10 minutes, then check the oil. Thats your reference point. Go from there.

Also - you using the same Penzoil this time as well? If it were me, I would - to keep that part consistent at least.
Ok, yes, I will be using the Pennzoil again in a few weeks for the next change.

Back