2024 Corolla Cross Hybrid Milky oil cap

I'd think that oil wouldn't be able to lubricate internal parts that well . I'd get it looked at . Hopefully it can be duplicated by a TOYOTA techician or get pictures or a video to show to the service center . Good Luck

Last edited:
Reactions: CF7
12 minutes isn't enough to warm the car up even when it's not a hybrid
It depends on how much and how hard the IC is running but typically an IC needs 20 minutes or so of steady highway driving to reach full equilibrium. A hybrid can take around 25 percent longer considering on ramps and lights coul have an average ev runtime of 25%.
Everyone’s drive is different but the time the engine is not running adds to reaching this. Interstate runs at sustained high speeds do not have much if any IC engine shutdown Time.

I believe The vehicle needs more time at operating temperature and this would resolve. But the machine serves the owner and driving extra unneeded miles counters the point. I don’t know the location and temperatures the vehicle was ran in.
In October 2023 when I checked the 2.0 Corolla was using 0w8 oil.
Perhaps thread-starter CF7 can tell us what's listed in the 2024 Owners Manual.

I would schedule an appointment and have that oil cap contents checked-out.
CF7.... are you sure your hands weren't loaded with banana pudding when handling that oil cap?
It’s a Corolla cross hybrid it’s a 0w16. An AWD Prius driveline

Last edited:
I have a A25A hybrid engine in my Lexus ES300h, I drive 3 miles to and from work and my oil filler cap has never looked like that. Just FYI.
Thats good and interesting as well. Thanks for the info. I live in a pretty cool climate, Im not sure if that matters too much.
It is garaged though.
My garage is usually around 50 degrees but there are days its 20 degrees while it's outside at work.
Thanks again

It depends on how much and how hard the IC is running but typically an IC needs 20 minutes or so of steady highway driving to reach full equilibrium. A hybrid can take around 25 percent longer considering on ramps and lights coul have an average ev runtime of 25%.
Everyone’s drive is different but the time the engine is not running adds to reaching this. Interstate runs at sustained high speeds do not have much if any IC engine shutdown Time.

I believe The vehicle needs more time at operating temperature and this would resolve. But the machine serves the owner and driving extra unneeded miles counters the point. I don’t know the location and temperatures the vehicle was ran in.

Yes it seems to use the electric motor for about 5-6 out of the 12 minute ride. Its been about 50 degrees in my garage, but its been between 25-45 outside this winter. It is outside while im working, and we've had some cold days recently.
Thanks again

Thats good and interesting as well. Thanks for the info. I live in a pretty cool climate, Im not sure if that matters too much.
It is garaged though.
My garage is usually around 50 degrees but there are days its 20 degrees while it's outside at work.
Thanks again
I live in Massachusetts so similar weather and my car is also garaged with similar temps.

Too short of drive to evaporate the moisture in the system is correct, i'm sure your in below freezing temperatures in the winter. (Not sure where you live.) The problem will go away once it warms up. You may want to make some longer trips in the winter or keep short oil change intervals. That why I tell people to change oil in the spring if you only do an annual oil change.
Im certainly going to try taking it for a good ride at least every other week.
Yes it does get below 32 here often although its usually 50 in my garage.
Thanks for the info

In October 2023 when I checked the 2.0 Corolla was using 0w8 oil.
Perhaps thread-starter CF7 can tell us what's listed in the 2024 Owners Manual.

I would schedule an appointment and have that oil cap contents checked-out.
CF7.... are you sure your hands weren't loaded with banana pudding when handling that oil cap?
The manual states 0w-16 FS. I could go for some banana pudding now that u mentioned it. Hahaa

Yes to all those who already mentioned it. That milky stuff is condensation from your engine never getting hot enough to evaporate the water out of the oil. No harm, you only got that on the oil cap. Take the car on a nice trip, at least an hour of highway.
Would there be enough condensation in there to add .6 quarts to the oil or do you think it could have just been overfilled from the factory?
There is a post on page 2 where someone says they drive 3 miles to work with a hybrid and dont have this. It's tough to figure.
Thanks though

Too short of drive to evaporate the moisture in the system is correct, i'm sure your in below freezing temperatures in the winter. (Not sure where you live.) The problem will go away once it warms up. You may want to make some longer trips in the winter or keep short oil change intervals. That why I tell people to change oil in the spring if you only do an annual oil change.
Can there be enough condensation in there to have had 5.1 quarts in there instead of 4.4? Or perhaps it was overfilled from the factory.
Someone on pg2 posted that they drive 3 miles to work with a hybrid and don't have this issue.
Really strange to me.
Thanks again

The AWD / Hybrid driveline differences is probably why they kicked-up the grade to 16, despite it being the same engine.
Makes sense to me now. I would just use one of the 0w20 EPs, if shopping at a Walmart-type store. Many more brand name options in 0w20.

Can condensation occur enough to have 5.1 quarts at 1k miles when 4.4 is max?
Its also interesting how someone on pg2 drives 3 miles to work with a hybrid and has nothing under the cap.

Can there be enough condensation in there to have had 5.1 quarts in there instead of 4.4? Or perhaps it was overfilled from the factory.
Someone on pg2 posted that they drive 3 miles to work with a hybrid and don't have this issue.
Really strange to me.
Thanks again
I don’t think it’s likely either of those scenarios are the most probable cause. Your local climate and driving pattern are the most likely culprit. The thermostat is set for 87c. The engine can reach that temperature quickly but it takes a while to burn off the condensation at that temperature. You are accumulating moisture rather than burning it off with your drive times. In the summer you may spend more time burning it off than accumulating due to higher ambient temps.
If there is not a mechanical issue (I suggest ruling that out) then you need to find a way to burn off the moisture periodically.

I don’t think it’s likely either of those scenarios are the most probable cause. Your local climate and driving pattern are the most likely culprit. The thermostat is set for 87c. The engine can reach that temperature quickly but it takes a while to burn off the condensation at that temperature. You are accumulating moisture rather than burning it off with your drive times. In the summer you may spend more time burning it off than accumulating due to higher ambient temps.
If there is not a mechanical issue (I suggest ruling that out) then you need to find a way to burn off the moisture periodically.
Thanks. Yeah, since i just changed the oil today at 1k miles, Ill monitor it closely for another thousand and recheck.
I'll try taking it for a longer ride at least every other week, and I'll stop driving it as if it were made of glass.
Thanks again

Back