2024 Corolla Cross Hybrid Milky oil cap

Can condensation occur enough to have 5.1 quarts at 1k miles when 4.4 is max?
It’s also interesting how someone on pg2 drives 3 miles to work with a hybrid and has nothing under the cap.
Your engine is very new. Were you measuring a high oil level at any time?you mentioning
extra oil volume requires additional explantation.
In the winter the engine will kick on earlier if I am demanding heat for example. Let the engine kick on and turn the heat down to 65 for example and pit the pedal down if the traction condition’s allow. The best way to heat up oil is engine rpm not load.

Your engine is very new. Were you measuring a high oil level at any time?you mentioning
extra oil volume requires additional explantation.
In the winter the engine will kick on earlier if I am demanding heat for example. Let the engine kick on and turn the heat down to 65 for example and pit the pedal down if the traction condition’s allow.
Yes, I measured 5.1 when i drained it today. It takes 4.4. Seems like there was .6-.7 too much.
I bought a '23 Tacoma with the 3.5L brand new last year. I checked the oil one day when it had about 100 miles on it. According to the stick, it was way overfilled but it was difficult to get a consistent reading.
To be safe, I drained and did a full oil change. It was overfilled 30-32oz from the factory.
I dont know whats going on at Toyotas factories. Not sure why the Cross has 5.1 though.
I'll monitor it closely

Yes, I measured 5.1 when i drained it today. It takes 4.4. Seems like there was .6-.7 too much.
I bought a '23 Tacoma with the 3.5L brand new last year. I checked the oil one day when it had about 100 miles on it. According to the stick, it was way overfilled but it was difficult to get a consistent reading.
To be safe, I drained and did a full oil change. It was overfilled 30-32oz from the factory.
I dont know whats going on at Toyotas factories. Not sure why the Cross has 5.1 though.
I'll monitor it closely
I work at a transportation manufacturing facilty. We recieve transmissions from a supplier, filled with transmission fluid ready to go. Due to the manufacturing process the transmission is drained prior to assembly and new fluid is added prior to first start. There is room for human error.

I work at a transportation manufacturing facilty. We recieve transmissions from a supplier, filled with transmission fluid ready to go. Due to the manufacturing process the transmission is drained prior to assembly and new fluid is added prior to first start. There is room for human error.
Interesting process. I wondered if oil was added at the factory. I figured it was drum oil set exactly to specs by a cpu. Especially seeing how we are now in 2024.
Its amazing how this can still happen.
I wonder if they do something similar at dealerships during prep, or if they leave factory oil in?
I wasnt aware that companies received new products, then drained and refilled. Interesting

Interesting process. I wondered if oil was added at the factory. I figured it was drum oil set exactly to specs by a cpu. Especially seeing how we are now in 2024.
Its amazing how this can still happen.
I wonder if they do something similar at dealerships during prep, or if they leave factory oil in?
I wasnt aware that companies received new products, then drained and refilled. Interesting
Who knows now days, look at Boeing and their lack of quality. And our transportation secretary who decides this year is the year to fix bridges and lets 3 times the money go to fix bridges than there is contractors to do the work. 2024 doesn't mean anything with incompetent people and companies.

Who knows now days, look at Boeing and their lack of quality. And our transportation secretary who decides this year is the year to fix bridges and lets 3 times the money go to fix bridges than there is contractors to do the work. 2024 doesn't mean anything with incompetent people and companies.
You are absolutely correct. Nobody seems to care about anything these days.

I was just re-reading your recommendation. When you said you recommend ruling out a mechanical issue first, I was curious if youd take it to the dealer.
The problem with that is I thoroughly cleaned the cap, changed the oil (it now has 4.4 instead of 5.1), and obviously changed the filter.
I dont think theyd see anything at this point and they dont seem to believe things until they see them.
I was planning on waiting another thousand and rechecking the cap while i take it for a good ride every other week.
If I do have to take it in then, Im hoping they dont say I voided warranty by changing the oil. Although that is total BS, Ive dealt with that in the past.
I should have taken it right in so they could see it the way it was.

I was just re-reading your recommendation. When you said you recommend ruling out a mechanical issue first, I was curious if youd take it to the dealer.
The problem with that is I thoroughly cleaned the cap, changed the oil (it now has 4.4 instead of 5.1), and obviously changed the filter.
I dont think theyd see anything at this point and they dont seem to believe things until they see them.
I was planning on waiting another thousand and rechecking the cap while i take it for a good ride every other week.
If I do have to take it in then, Im hoping they dont say I voided warranty by changing the oil. Although that is total BS, Ive dealt with that in the past.
You already changed the oil and cleaned it up, so just drive it and monitor it. If it is a problem, it will reappear.

If you are getting any warmer weather you may not get a duplication until next winter. No warranty worries with the early oil change. I am running mine all the way to 10k but with your circumstance I would do the same as you did. You did no damage this is just condensation of oil vapor and water vapor on the cool parts of the engine and these are not moving parts.An emulsion. If your drained oil looked like oil there is no reason to stress just monitor it now that you know what to look for.

Did you check your oil before you drained it, Was your dipstick measurement above the full mark?

Last edited:
Reactions: CF7
If you are getting any warmer weather you may not get a duplication until next winter. No warranty worries with the early oil change. I am running mine all the way to 10k but with your circumstance I would do the same as you did. You did no damage this is just condensation of oil vapor and water vapor on the cool parts of the engine and these are not moving parts.An emulsion. If your drained oil looked like oil their is no reason to stress just monitor it now that you know what to look for.

Did you check your oil before you drained it, Was your dipstick measurement above the full mark?
Thanks, yes I did check it. I find it hard to read on some toyotas. Especially when the oil is fresh and clear (1k mile mark).
There was about 5.1 quarts inside when i drained it. It should have 4.4.
There was about 20 oz too much.
As I may have mentioned, I bought a '23 Tacoma brand new last year. I had a hard time reading the stick and it seemed high when it was brand new. It was overfilled 30oz so perhaps my Cross was too.
Im only wondering if there is water in the oil because of the mayo in the cap.
I thought I saw a few half inch circles in the oil and a few small dots but its hard to say. I just poured a little into a small tupperware and took a few pics.
Could there be 20 oz of water in my oil simply from condensation?
Thanks again

IMG_1654.jpeg

IMG_1655.jpeg

IMG_1656.jpeg

Hi guys. I have a '24 Cross Hybrid with the 2.0.
I just did my first oil change at 1k, and noticed the milkshake under the cap. The dipstick looks clean, the coolant is at a normal level, and the oil looked ok (although overfilled .6 quarts from the factory). Ive had the vehicle from December to March so far (cool-cold temps).
The car is driven 12 minutes to work, and 12 minutes home. No other vehicle has done this for me, but this is my first hybrid. Im on the highway for about 4 minutes out of the 12.
Would you think this is caused by my engine being hybrid and not reaching full temp for long enough?
Thank you for reading! I did attach a photo.

View attachment 210173
Hi guys. I have a '24 Cross Hybrid with the 2.0.
I just did my first oil change at 1k, and noticed the milkshake under the cap. The dipstick looks clean, the coolant is at a normal level, and the oil looked ok (although overfilled .6 quarts from the factory). Ive had the vehicle from December to March so far (cool-cold temps).
The car is driven 12 minutes to work, and 12 minutes home. No other vehicle has done this for me, but this is my first hybrid. Im on the highway for about 4 minutes out of the 12.
Would you think this is caused by my engine being hybrid and not reaching full temp for long enough?
Thank you for reading! I did attach a photo.

View attachment 210173
I just wanted to share an update to see if anyone has any opinions. I drove the vehicle another 500 miles, mainly longer trips. Some were a full hour. The last pics were of 1k miles, but these are of the last 500.
Should i still be seeing any foam with the longer rides? Thanks

IMG_1793.jpeg

IMG_1794.jpeg

If the oil on the dipstick looks normal and not milky, I would not worry about it. The milky looking oil is clearly only on the oil filler cap, which is the coldest part and that’s where water condenses when it is in a vapor form in the valve train area. The top of the valve cover likely looks similar.

The only worry would be a plugged breather and the PCV. Other than that, the engine will stay properly lubricated.

If the oil on the dipstick looks normal and not milky, I would not worry about it. The milky looking oil is clearly only on the oil filler cap, which is the coldest part and that’s where water condenses when it is in a vapor form in the valve train area.
It does look ok on the dipstick. I was just surprised to see this after only another 500 miles. I only see a small streak of it in the valve cover area.
It seems like whenever i take a car into the dealership, it leaves with another scratch so this is good news.
Thanks

Can condensation occur enough to have 5.1 quarts at 1k miles when 4.4 is max?
Its also interesting how someone on pg2 drives 3 miles to work with a hybrid and has nothing under the cap.
I wonder if 3 miles each way is so short that the ICE doesn't even operate.

Reactions: CF7
Back