Oil dipstick question

Seems like I have been getting mainly INCORRECT advice here! Most are saying to check when engine is COLD.

I just checked my owner's manual and it clearly states to check the oil after the engine reaches operating temperature, turn off the engine, wait 5 minutes, check oil. Also says to only add oil if the level is at or near the ADD mark! I am thinking I am NOT burning excessive oil. There seems to be no signs of that, at least so far.
Good! Now you have read your owners manual.

Maybe this thread will fizzle out.

Ok, so why ADD if its at the 1/2 way mark?
Wipe your arse until its half clean?
Tell your doctor you only want half of the tumor removed, or 1/2 the cancer eliminated.
Tell your dentist that you only want half a filling.
Why settle for pathetic? Why is society turning into settling for nothing?

I guess it better than those that wipe before they poop and not after. The future is bleak and pathetic.

Gotta get some takeout food prepared 1/2 way, cooked 1/2way, and missing half of the ingredients in the recipe. Hope the wife doesn't complain. I told her to just do half the work at the ER and ICU. &^% the patients since they are happy with 1/2-way medical care too.

Wipe your arse until its half clean?
Tell your doctor you only want half of the tumor removed, or 1/2 the cancer eliminated.
Tell your dentist that you only want half a filling.
Why settle for pathetic? Why is society turning into settling for nothing?

I guess it better than those that wipe before they poop and not after. The future is bleak and pathetic.

Gotta get some takeout food prepared 1/2 way, cooked 1/2way, and missing half of the ingredients in the recipe. Hope the wife doesn't complain. I told her to just do half the work at the ER and ICU. &^% the patients since they are happy with 1/2-way medical care too.
Huh?

If you agree that changing oil at 3,000 miles isn't wasteful, I'll agree adding that 1/2 quart 500 miles before a change isn't wasteful too.
I don't think it's a question of being wasteful. It's about finding out exactly how much oil is being consumed within the oil change interval. Since you're within only 500 miles of your oci, my thought was to start a controlled process now of monitoring and measuring it.

I think if owners manual says hot, that means the dipstick is calibrated for such. Conventional wisdom was cold. The idea was the oil could return.
If you're worried about it, I would check it both ways after an oil and filter change. That way you'll see if there is any difference. About the only time I check my oil is the morning AFTER an oil and filter change.

All 3 of my vehicles show it full right up to the FULL mark on the stick. And that is a bit more than 18 hours after the correct amount of oil has been added, heated and pumped through the engine, and allowed to drain and cool overnight. I don't know what the manual says.

I just checked this morning with a COLD engine and the oil level is very slightly above the half mark between FULL and ADD. I see many are saying I am a 1/2 quart low and should add, but the level is not even close to the ADD mark, so why add?? Isnt the ADD mark there for a reason??
The area between the add and full marks is known as the "safe" area. It's up to you if you want to top it off to the full mark. If you are nearing oil change time, I wouldn't top it off as long as it is in the safe area.

Engine oil contributes considerably to engine cooling and that's why I think it's prudent to keep the oil level near the full mark. I'd also hate to run into oil starvation issues during high-speed curve driving or on hills with the oil sloshing away from the pickup tube because the oil level is at the low end.

The OP needs to come up with a consistent process that allows him to gauge the oil consumption more precisely. The oil level should be checked with the vehicle in the same position in the same location x-minutes after shutdown hot or x-hours after shutdown cold at roughly the same ambient temperature.

if it's halfway, send it unless it's in the first half of an oci or the engine consumes oil.

Most cars use a little oil between oil changes

The only car I have owned that never required a single top up was my 2016 S350d, which I owned for over 5 years.

Never topped the oil up once in nearly 130k miles

My Gen Coupe turbo makes oil due to fuel dilution, ends up about a 1/4 qt overfull in 5k miles.

Back