My Elantra slighty burning oil

Hi,
My 2017 Hyundai Elantra Value Edition seems to be burning oil.... slightly. It seems to burn about 1/4 quart every 2500 miles are so. Is this considered somewhat normal for 83,000 miles or more a issue? I change oil/filter every 4,000 miles with full synthetic 5W-30. Otherwise, the car has been flawless with 83,000 miles, no issues. I am still getting 34/35MPG average for my driving in the suburbs of central NJ.
Thanks
Michael

Can try switching to a high mileage oil or up to a 5w30 if using 5w20.

I personally run 5w30 in my 2018 Elantra year round.

Hi,
My 2017 Hyundai Elantra Value Edition seems to be burning oil.... slightly. It seems to burn about 1/4 quart every 2500 miles are so. Is this considered somewhat normal for 83,000 miles or more a issue? I change oil/filter every 4,000 miles with full synthetic 5W-30. Otherwise, the car has been flawless with 83,000 miles, no issues. I am still getting 34/35MPG average for my driving in the suburbs of central NJ.
Thanks
Michael
Just the way it is. No problem. You could try a slightly thicker 5w-30.

It's fine, So has it gotten better since your last post about this, seems to use less now. Also Hyundai won't warranty unless it burns more than a quart per thousand.

When your warranty ends, switch to 0w40 in SP certification. By then, the cert might advance to either SP Plus or SQ.

In the meantime, there are Euro 5w30s SN that are thicker viscosity and still allow you to abide by your owners manual specs.
Use those and see if that helps.

Last edited:
Hi,
Thanks
Michael
any recent change in oil or filter brand?
any recent work done to it?
PCV replaced?

Since the late 90s select mfgs would put in their manual a car will burn a small amount of oil, so it isnt abnormal.

Burning 1 quart every 10,000 miles isn't bad at all. You could try a 10w-30 or 5w-40 & see if that declines the burn off any if you wanted to.

I think the only time oil consumption is related to failure is when someone runs it low on oil.... otherwise it's likely unrelated. Not the same engine, but there does seem to be a higher failure rate among most of Hyundai engines....my wife's Sonata is at the dealership getting a new engine at 94k miles. It never burned a drop and ran fine until the day the engine seized up with oil at the full mark, 2k miles of highway driving on it, looking pretty clean still. Then I think there are others who burned oil for 100k miles and it didn't seize up yet.
So I would just make sure to keep the oil level full and and changed regularly and it may be fine.

Back