Elantra valve cover gasket replacement?

Hi,

The valve cover gasket on my 2017 Hyundai Elantra is just started to leak. You can see the slight oil moisture at the base of all the ignition coils. My Elantra is
6 1/2 years old with 79,000 miles. I assume Hyundai's 100K warranty should cover the cost to replace??

Also, how many hours from the dealer to replace the valve cover gasket?

Thank you

Since you're the original owner, the warranty should cover the gasket. Probably an hour from the dealer or even less to do the job itself, though you might have to wait in a long line and just drop the car off.

100k mile warranty is a powertrain warranty and will not cover the valve cover gasket. You can ask for goodwill assistance, but wouldn't expect any.

Removing the valve cover is not difficult on this car, and shouldn't take more than 1 or 2 hours. Unfortunately, I don't have access to tell you book time, however. From the factory service manual:

1. Remove the engine cover.
(Refer to Engine and Transaxle Assembly - "Engine Cover")
2. Disconnect the battery negative terminal.
3. Disconnect the wiring connectors and harness clamps and remove the connector brackets around the cylinder head cover.
4. Remove the air duct and air cleaner assembly.
(Refer to Intake and Exhasut System - "Air Cleaner")
5. Remove the ignition coils.
(Refer to Engine Electrical System - "Ignition Coil")
6. Remove the engine oil level gauge.
(Refer to Lubrication System - "Oil Level Gauge & Pipe")
7. Disconnect the positive crankcase ventilation (PCV) hose (A).
8. Remove the cylinder head cover (A).

100k mile warranty is a powertrain warranty and will not cover the valve cover gasket. You can ask for goodwill assistance, but wouldn't expect any.

Removing the valve cover is not difficult on this car, and shouldn't take more than 1 or 2 hours. Unfortunately, I don't have access to tell you book time, however. From the factory service manual:

1. Remove the engine cover.
(Refer to Engine and Transaxle Assembly - "Engine Cover")
2. Disconnect the battery negative terminal.
3. Disconnect the wiring connectors and harness clamps and remove the connector brackets around the cylinder head cover.
4. Remove the air duct and air cleaner assembly.
(Refer to Intake and Exhasut System - "Air Cleaner")
5. Remove the ignition coils.
(Refer to Engine Electrical System - "Ignition Coil")
6. Remove the engine oil level gauge.
(Refer to Lubrication System - "Oil Level Gauge & Pipe")
7. Disconnect the positive crankcase ventilation (PCV) hose (A).
8. Remove the cylinder head cover (A).
How is a valve cover gasket not part of the power train warranty? I don’t get that.

Just my $0.02

How is a valve cover gasket not part of the power train warranty? I don’t get that.

Just my $0.02
Most commonly accepted definition of Powertrain Warranty: "A powertrain warranty covers the parts that make your vehicle move. These include the engine, drivetrain, transmission, fuel pump, drive axle shafts, drive axles, and transfer case."

Valve cover gasket would fall under the bumper-to-bumper warranty, but that's since expired for OP.

You should be able to download a digital copy of the warranty booklet and just use the Control+F option to search for "gasket". Then once you know exactly what Hyundai says is covered you'll be equipped with the information that you need to move forward. Hope this helps!

Most commonly accepted definition of Powertrain Warranty: "A powertrain warranty covers the parts that make your vehicle move. These include the engine, drivetrain, transmission, fuel pump, drive axle shafts, drive axles, and transfer case."

Valve cover gasket would fall under the bumper-to-bumper warranty, but that's since expired for OP.
1697927831874.jpg

Gaskets are covered under the powertrain warranty. Find and pick the best rated Hyundai dealer in your area, you don't have to take it to the dealer you got it from. The best rated ones will give you a loaner if it'll take too long or do it quicker. Have you had the trans serviced, if not also ask about it and maybe have it done if they don't charge too much.

JavierH19,

When you say trans serviced, do you mean drain and refill fluid? If so, I have I it done at 40K and will do it again at 80K, which is soon, so I will look into that.

To add to the above, the powertrain:

SECTION 7 HYUNDAI POWERTRAIN LIMITED WARRANTY (ORIGINAL OWNER)26TRANSMISSION/TRANSAXLECase and all internal parts, axle shafts (front/rear), constant velocity joints, front/rear hub bearings, propeller shafts, seals and gaskets, torque converter and converter housing and clutch cover and housing, transfer case, and rear differential for Hyundai vehicles.

Things like CV joints, Hub bearings, etc. are impressive.

Hyundai haters? :unsure:

Is KIA the same?

Note the turbo is covered also.

Last edited:
JavierH19,

When you say trans serviced, do you mean drain and refill fluid? If so, I have I it done at 40K and will do it again at 80K, which is soon, so I will look into that.
Yes that suffices. I'd probably do then a little earlier at 30k intervals.

To add to the above, the powertrain:

SECTION 7 HYUNDAI POWERTRAIN LIMITED WARRANTY (ORIGINAL OWNER)26TRANSMISSION/TRANSAXLECase and all internal parts, axle shafts (front/rear), constant velocity joints, front/rear hub bearings, propeller shafts, seals and gaskets, torque converter and converter housing and clutch cover and housing, transfer case, and rear differential for Hyundai vehicles.

Things like CV joints, Hub bearings, etc. are impressive.

Hyundai haters? :unsure:

Is KIA the same?

Note the turbo is covered also.
I believe the Kia warranty is pretty much identical to Hyundai. That was a huge selling point for us. We drive about 10,000 miles per year so assuming we keep our Forte for 10 years we will get the full benefit of time and mileage from the warranty.

Back