2016 Ford Edge with 2.0L turbo oil pressure sensor replacement

GON

$100 Site Donor 2024
Working in Asia, Daughter in Colorado just texted me her 2016 Ford Edge 2.0L turbo with 88k miles needs an oil pressure sensor. I did a youtube search and could not find a second generation video on the oil pressure sensor replacement. Below please find what they quoted her. My gut suggests to only replace the oil pressure sensor, and let the other leaks be. At Christmas, I didn't see any oil on her garage floor.

My biggest worry is likely non-OEM parts, quality of the work done, and fixing something not broke leads to other issues.

Oil pressure sensor replacement
Labor- $99 USD
Parts- $11.57 USD

Reseal timing cover (remove and replace engine front cover gasket)
Total- $1474.67 USD
Labor- $1267 USD
Parts- $202.30 USD (Permatex gasket maker, engine valve cover gasket set, engine crankshaft seal kit)

Oil pan Gasket replacement
Labor- $1306
Parts- $20.01

Replace PTU Output Shaft Seal
Labor- $910.80 USD
Parts- $166.02 USD

Transfer case service
Labor- $60.27 USD
Parts- $75 USD (Ultra Guard 75w140)

Replace timing chain (instead of just timing cover gasket)
Labor- $1544 USD
Parts- $834

Hard to believe that much could be wrong with an engine (even a Ford) with fewer than 100K miles. I have an '18 Edge (3.5 v6) and it leaked at about 40K but it was from a defective Motorcraft 500S filter. Swapped it out and no leak since. If the oil sensor is bad somebody must have Dx'd it. Did it trip the oil pressure light? Did they put it on a scanner? I'd tell her to fix just that item and wait 'till daddy GON returns from overseas to chaperone her through the rest of the story.

I repaired an oil leak on a 2015 Edge 2.0L a few years ago for a colleague, it was indeed the oil pressure sender. The sender is located near the oil filter, but before condemning the switch itself, I performed a thorough inspection for any additional leaks; no other leaks were found. I removed the switch for an inspection and noted that it was actually leaking along the threads and therefore, applied some Teflon tape and reinstalled it; fixed.

Last edited:
Obviously I am not there either, but generally when I see this type of quote its usually one or two things leaking and the opportunity to replace everything with a gasket because its got oil on it now. Best to clean the engine and observe where it starts.

Is the Oil pressure switch just leaking, or not working? I think on the 4 cyl eco-boost its right above the oil filter.

Hard to believe that much could be wrong with an engine (even a Ford) with fewer than 100K miles. I have an '18 Edge (3.5 v6) and it leaked at about 40K but it was from a defective Motorcraft 500S filter. Swapped it out and no leak since. If the oil sensor is bad somebody must have Dx'd it. Did it trip the oil pressure light? Did they put it on a scanner? I'd tell her to fix just that item and wait 'till daddy GON returns from overseas to chaperone her through the rest of the story.
I own a Ford F150-after three Silverados. No - it's not hard to believe. Remember-they were the recall leader last year by a wide margin.

only replace the oil pressure sensor, and let the other leaks be.
Yes I'd agree with that. Those can start leaking badly and result in engine failure from losing all the oil. Gasket seeps won't do that.

The mechanic who will perform these repairs is doomed from the beginning.
Some tech somewhere is getting the 3M Roloc out of the tool chest 😭
Revs angle grinder 🧑‍🔧
Trigger warning @Astro14 ⚠️

I'd have them screw in a oil pressure sender, an oil change, and wait for the rest till you get back
1709267865216.jpg

This video highlighted a significant concern with what is often referred to as a "bullet proof" 2.0 Ford engine. It should be noted the 2016 Edge has this exact engine. Gulfing coolant- coolant intrusion issue at 108k miles

On a funny note, my Daughter will rarely reach out to me for anything- she is independent. My Wife is staying with her while I am OCONUS, and I am sure my Wife influenced the reach out to me on the concern.

This video highlighted a significant concern with what is often referred to as a "bullet proof" 2.0 Ford engine. It should be noted the 2016 Edge has this exact engine. Gulfing coolant- coolant intrusion issue at 108k miles

On a funny note, my Daughter will rarely reach out to me for anything- she is independent. My Wife is staying with her while I am OCONUS, and I am sure my Wife influenced the reach out to me on the concern.

Yes and no
The 2016 and previous EcoBoom engines can have coolant intrusion issues, but they weren't as bad as the 2017+
I've anecdotally noticed this with Fusions

'13-'16 2.0EB seems to be the most stable of the bunch, 2017 - 4/8/2019 are all ticking time bombs (unless replaced with updated block)
1.5 and 1.6 being the most problematic, 2.0 being slightly better

Yes and no
The 2016 and previous EcoBoom engines can have coolant intrusion issues, but they weren't as bad as the 2017+
I've anecdotally noticed this with Fusions

'13-'16 2.0EB seems to be the most stable of the bunch, 2017 - 4/8/2019 are all ticking time bombs (unless replaced with updated block)
1.5 and 1.6 being the most problematic, 2.0 being slightly better
Here is a 2016 Edge with the infiltration of coolant issue requiring a small block replacement--- at 82k miles:

You may want to also consider getting the transfer case service done if it has never been performed, although $75 is steep for 1.5 pints of 75w-140. I believe Christian Bros. is a franchise? I would be tempted to take it to Castle Rock Ford for a second opinion.

Back