2012 Honda Civic - First impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.
We were in the market for a spare vehicle the past few months. We were hoping for a used car, but became frustrated at how little price difference they were over new. So we opted for a 2012 Honda Civic.

Well we picked up our Civic EX Sedan last week. Despite the poor "reviews" by outfits such as Consumer Reports, we test drove it and was overall pleased with how the car performed. We put on 50km on the test vehicle, taking it through the city and onto the highway.

I am pleased with the overall design of the exterior. In fact, I like it more than the previous generation. However, I think I like the previous gen's interior more. Having said that, in the 2012s, I like the digital gauges, the I-MID display and the overall space, but I don't like the stereo controls --they are somewhat ugly. The way the stereo controls are tilted to towards the driver, it reminds me of the old Pontiac Sunbird. As for the dash, the "rice paper" look will take some getting used to, but overall, its okay.

As for the ride quality, its on par with the competition. Merging onto the freeway is adequate. Noise level is fair.

We knew that there were other choices available to us such as the Corolla, Focus, Cruze, Elantra and Mazda3.

We didn't buy the Corolla because the gf already has a 2003. Warranty expired ages ago. Not a single problem with it. Great car.

We didn't buy the Focus because we thought they are overpriced. It looks good, but for less money, I can buy the Civic. My parents are loyal Ford customers, but they always seem to have a large out-of-pocket expense soon after the comprehensive warranty expires. Hmmm....

We didn't buy the Cruze because of my gf's past experience with a variety of GM vehicles. Nothing but bad luck. She vowed never to drive a GM again. You know the saying: happy wife, happy life.

We didn't buy the Elantra because of the terrible experience I had with my 2010 Tucson, which I got rid of after only 1 year. I think from a mechanical standpoint, it still has a long way to go.

We didn't buy the Mazda3 because the local dealership removes all the window stickers from their new inventory. I have a problem with that. With all the options available on the Mazda3, how do I know what I am buying and what I am paying if I don't have a written summary on the window? It becomes a trust issue. The next closest Mazda dealership is 250km away.

At the end of the day, we went with the Civic because of Honda's history of reliability. I've owned a Honda for the past ten years and have been impressed with the reliability and relative low cost of maintenance.

I think you made a good choice. The 2012 Civic is pretty nice. I have a 2007 EX but have test driven the 9th gen when it came out.

Excellent Engine in there (Same as the R18 in my 07 EX) you can easily and safely do 10k OCIs with a good synthetic and keep up the relative low cost of maintenance that has worked for you in the past with Honda
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Artem
I think you made a good choice. The 2012 Civic is pretty nice. I have a 2007 EX but have test driven the 9th gen when it came out.

Excellent Engine in there (Same as the R18 in my 07 EX) you can easily and safely do 10k OCIs with a good synthetic and keep up the relative low cost of maintenance that has worked for you in the past with Honda
thumbsup2.gif

Thanks! If my old 2008 Accord is any indication, it will be close to 8-10k OCIs for me. My plan is to use up the 5W I have on my shelf during the spring/summer and then switch back to 0W for fall/winter.

I'm sure you'll enjoy the car and it'll return years of good service back to you. Congratulations on your new car.

Like you, I rather like the exterior styling of the new Civic, and don't find the interior as off-putting as some reviews make it out to be.

I bought a new '08 Civic LX for my son to use.
The car has over 90K miles and has been bulletproof.
Would buy another in a heartbeat.

I shopped with my BIL when he bought his new 2012 Civic LX a few months ago.

I too think it's a nice looking car. It's very comfortable well laid-out and practical. I'm no hardcore Honda guy. I think they're a very good, but not necessarily perfect automobile like everyone else. What I don't get is all the long ranting posts on what a POS the 2012 Civic is.

The '12 Civic is definitely not as bad as some say. I think it is that the bar is high for small cars to be the best, and keep the title as best, and the '12 redesign was just not enough after the 8th generation went an entire 6 years. It is a good car with a very solid engine, and it should be reliable for you, for years to come.

I love my 2011, over 35K KMs with no signs of any trouble so far.

I just dont like the way it drives compared to the 06-11 base

I drove a 2012 lx coupe

Engine sounds louder upon acceleration

Long gears, feels like it takes off in second on AT

longer steering ratio, noticably longer than even my 04 ex

Suspension feels too soft and.mushy, they took that nimble feel of the 8th gens

and if course the cloth interior looks cheapened. Leather is a must.

Originally Posted By: david_ES2

I drove a 2012 lx coupe

I have leather in the wife's CR-V and it's very low quality.

I don't like it as well as the 2011, but it does get better MPG. Honda was so shocked at what people thought about the 2012 that they are moving up the next model refresh from 2014 to 2013 so you may want to wait another 9 months.

Originally Posted By: Colt
Originally Posted By: david_ES2

I drove a 2012 lx coupe

I have leather in the wife's CR-V and it's very low quality.

Yeah, Ive spent alot of time in an 11 crv with "leather". the vinyl in my 81 MB and 91 BMW are MUCH nicer and softer than the leather in the honda.

I hear that Honda leather is plastic coated, which may be why.

Originally Posted By: tommygunn
I don't like it as well as the 2011, but it does get better MPG. Honda was so shocked at what people thought about the 2012 that they are moving up the next model refresh from 2014 to 2013 so you may want to wait another 9 months.

yep, OP should have waited. your car will already be old news in another year. and i imagine the resale will take a big hit, seeing as how this is pretty much a 1 year model run

We were aware that a redo was in the works prior to buying this Civic. As for a "hit on resale", I'm not anticipating any significant impact if the current crop of used Civics from the 06-11 models are any indication.

If the "new" Civic is anything like the current one being rolled out in the UK, then I think I made good decision.

Enjoy the ride! It should be a fairly trouble-free one for years to come, based on how our Honda has racked up the miles without complaint.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Yeah, Ive spent alot of time in an 11 crv with "leather". the vinyl in my 81 MB and 91 BMW are MUCH nicer and softer than the leather in the honda.

The seat material may need time to soften up. The leather in my in-law's 2011 CR-V is also very firm, but it's quite soft in our 2008 CR-V, and I'm quite sure it's the same material. It's still not as supple as the leather in the Acura, though, and you can tell that it's a different grade of material. It does feel more like vinyl than leather. As long as it holds up well over the long haul and maintains its comfort, the composition of the material matters not to me.

It's like they used to say about business PC purchases: nobody ever got fired for buying IBM.

It's the same with Honda - they may not be the most exciting anymore, but they're a safe, reliable choice.

Originally Posted By: tommygunn

They're seriously going to completely change the vehicle after one model year?

I just don't see that happening, Honda or otherwise. As far as I know, the 2012 Civic is selling just as easy as any other Civic.

Joel

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Originally Posted By: JHZR2

The seat material may need time to soften up. The leather in my in-law's 2011 CR-V is also very firm, but it's quite soft in our 2008 CR-V, and I'm quite sure it's the same material. It's still not as supple as the leather in the Acura, though, and you can tell that it's a different grade of material. It does feel more like vinyl than leather. As long as it holds up well over the long haul and maintains its comfort, the composition of the material matters not to me.

Id rather they just sell a vinyl for minimal cost. Paying $1000 for a sub-par pleather material is lousy, IMO.

But as for the 12 civic, I saw one on the road today, 4dr black. Like the lines better than the dustbuster design previously. The rear looked like a cross between a mazda protege and a volvo. Interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back