2012 Accent, 0W20, and Warranty

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
Yes, and what idiot at Hyundai wrote that quote?

Exactly - someone who's probably never bought his own oil in his life. If a 5w-20 isn't too thin or too thick, how is a 0w-20 a problem? I can see a 0w-2 being a problem, though.
wink.gif

Personally, I can't see muddying the waters on your warranty by wanting to run anything other than that specified by the manual. In the big scheme of things and during the life of the car, you won't see a difference between 0w-20 and 5w-20 oil. If you want a synthetic oil, go with a 5w-20 syn of your choice, but keep the recommended weight.

I have a 2008 Hyundai Santa Fe with the 3.3 V6--I bought it new and have had NO problems with it--my first Hyundai and so far I'm impressed with it. . .I have no interest in experimenting with non-recommended oil weights. For what it's worth, I've run either QSUD or PP 5w-20 in it since it's fifth oil change, without issues. I doubt that 0w-20 would hurt it, but why take a chance? Just my two cents. . ..

Originally Posted By: Robster
I doubt that 0w-20 would hurt it, but why take a chance?

Your missing the main point here, the 0W-20 grade which is synthetic is a SUPERIOR lubricant to every 5W-20 dino made and that is all that Hyundai specifies. The fact that the Hyundai rep' the OP contacted doesn't know this, is what's being ridiculed here.

If it were me, I wouldn't have bothered asking the question of Hyundai in the first since I would interpret the oil recommendation to be a minimum standard; namely since any API 5W-20 mineral oil meets their requirements the bar is set very low.
Since a (synthetic) 0W-20 exceeds thoughts requirements how can it void a warranty? It can't.

Originally Posted By: poiuy223
Responses like that make me feel that customer service reps work like robots. They see 5w-20 in the manual...that's the only oil allowed in the car.

That is because of liability and a CS rep is not allowed to play engineer.

All this talk of 0W-20 being superior does not mean a thing from a warranty perspective unless you can get Hyundai corporate to recognize it as such and amend their service manuals or send and advisory bulletin out stating such.

The thread title was 0w-20 and Warranty. You went to the source and they answered. It maybe was not the answer you hoped for but it is the answer all the same. The question was not is 0w-20 superior? The question was can I run it and maintain my warranty? It seems to me you have two choices. First, run it anyway and hope you don't have a warranty claim that can be tied back in and denied. Second, run the recommended vis. And maintian the warranty.

Originally Posted By: apwillard1986
The thread title was 0w-20 and Warranty. You went to the source and they answered. The question was can I run it and maintain my warranty?

the answer is "yes, he can use it and maintain his warranty". It wouldn't be the first time someone got bad information from a CS rep, and it won't be the last. If they said he had to use Quaker State (since that's what the owner's manual recommends), would that make it true? No, it wouldn't... Someone saying something doesn't make it fact.

0W20 meets all of the operational standards of 5W20--it simple exceeds some of them, which is why it's labeled as 0W. Manufacturers seem to be reticent to even mention 0W20, given the pushback many have had in recommending it (hard to find, expensive...). But in time, the owner's manuals will be updated. But let's not blame the poor shmoe answering the phone. They're just repeating the information given to them. That doesn't make them stupid or idiots. They're just uninformed about motor oil. And ultimately, it's the engineering department's job to inform those folks so they can correctly answer the question.

Using an SN-rated GF-5 0W20 will not void your warranty if the car allows 5W20, and I'll dare anyone to provide a single warranty claim denied because of it. This is a lot of hand-wringing over nothing.

Originally Posted By: Hootbro
Responses like that make me feel that customer service reps work like robots. They see 5w-20 in the manual...that's the only oil allowed in the car.

No but his unilateral statement that one's warranty will be automatically voided is also not true. Since he likely knows less than zitch about what 5W-20 and 0W-20 means one would have hoped he referred the query but I doubt it.

And you don't need to go as far as getting service manuals amended or even an advisory bulletin, an email from anyone with some authority at Hyundai is more than enough for the OP since he raised the question.

For everyone else with a Hyundai or any make of vehicle that spec's a non specified 5W-20 dino, of course you can use a 0W-20.
To overcome potential reticence on the part of consumers, many 0W-20 bottles state right on the label that their product is suitable for where a 5W-20 is specified. So right there you have the oil company putting their neck on the line; warranty denial is just not an issue.

No but his unilateral statement that one's warranty will be automatically voided is also not true. Since he likely knows less than zitch about what 5W-20 and 0W-20 means one would have hoped he referred the query but I doubt it.

And you don't need to go as far as getting service manuals amended or even an advisory bulletin, an email from anyone with some authority at Hyundai is more than enough for the OP since he raised the question.

For everyone else with a Hyundai or any make of vehicle that spec's a non specified 5W-20 dino, of course you can use a 0W-20.
To overcome potential reticence on the part of consumers, many 0W-20 bottles state right on the label that their product is suitable for where a 5W-20 is specified. So right there you have the oil company putting their neck on the line; warranty denial is just not an issue.

So how many of you internet lawyers and engineers going to be around to help someone argue all this? I doubt any of you will.

It is simple, just use the manual call out while under warranty and play engineer after the warranty is up.

So how many of you internet lawyers and engineers going to be around to help someone argue all this? I doubt any of you will.

I imagine that lots of folks would provide information--but more importantly, the oil companies themselves have clearly put the stake in the ground on this one.

It is simple, just use the manual call out while under warranty and play engineer after the warranty is up.

Using a lubricant that not only meets, but exceeds the specifications isn't "playing engineer". No one is suggesting he use a lubricant which doesn't meet the specifications. Suggesting that a 0W20 doesn't meet the specs of a 5W20 oil simply shows a lack of understanding of the rating system.

You're reading way too much into this with totally unwarranted fear mongering. If you use a name brand 0W-20 oil, there isn't a snow balls chance in [censored], that Hyundai is going to deny a claim.

And for what it's worth, in the OP's case, since he lives near me I'd be more than happy to argue his case.

I phoned Quaker State for some backup on this (as they are quote unquote Hyundai Recommended), and the guy who answered also says 0W20 will void the warranty. Of course, he also said that only people in Alaska need to use 0W20, but it is what it is.

This is what Mobil replied when I emailed them:

"Mobil1 0W20 does meet all the same standards and performance requirements of the 5W20 viscosity, thus ExxonMobil stands behind the performance of the product. However, your dealership provdes you your warranty, thus we would recommend you abide by their guidelines."

I.e., if Hyundai wants to be a PITA about it there's not a thing anyone can do.

cingkrab, I must say you have a knack for getting [censored] responses out of people. I'd be interested in what you actually asked of Mobil in your email?

The recommendation that "you abide by their guidelines" in no way detracts from EOM's official position that their 0W-20 will not void any manufacturer's warranty when used in a 5W-20 application. So no I don't agree, "if Hyundai wants to be a PITA there's not a thing anyone can do".

The reality of the situation is, in choosing to run a premium synthetic 0W-20 motor oil, any engine failure will not be due to the motor oil assuming you've maintained the car correctly.
I know how warranty claims work and Hyundai like all manufacturers want to know the REAL reason for the failure and will not try to deny a engine claim and attribute the cause to your choice of oil without good reason. At the claim level, you are dealing with knowledgeable people and using a name brand syn oil would be more of a reason to eliminate the oil as the cause than try something silly like weasel out of the claim because you used a 0W-20 when a 5W-20 is specified; that has never happened and will never happen.

I agree with CATERHAM, car manufactures must be able to demonstrate that synthetic 0W20 is the cause of the problem, while conventional 5W20 will protect engine better and will no cause engine failures, which is impossible and therefore they can not deny engine warranty for using superior oil.

On the other hand, if car manufacture spec'ed oil is ACEA A3/B3 and provide a list of oils that you can buy easily at local part stores, but you go ahead use un-approved thinner oil such as A1 or A5 then you're in trouble in claiming warranty work if engine failed related to oil.

Haha yes apparently so. I should start a service where I charge for getting negative responses.

It was one of those email forms on their website, so I don't have a record of it. It was something along the lines of "I'd like to use your 0W20 oil in my 2012 Accent, however Hyundai Canada indicates it may void the warranty as the manual states 5W20 as the recommended viscosity, contrary to your FAQ (link from you). Would your 0W20 work in my car?"

Not the exact wording, but you get the gist. And yes I understand your point regarding the claims personnel, but I've also heard bad stories regarding Hyundai and their weasling out of warranties. So unless I hear a positive response from Hyundai I don't think I would risk it.

Last edited:
My accent has 1,300 miles on it. I have on order 4 cases of the honda 0w20 from the thread in the rabate section. This is enough oil for 5+ years for this car. I will be using it without thinking twice. Just like I have always used 0w30 in my other cars that spec 5w30. I guess I will be the ginue pig on the hyundai 5w20 / 0w20 issue.

Congrat's on the Honda (Idemitsu) 0W-20 score!

Of course I don't think you're being a Guinea Pig at all because you're taking zero risk; you're using a great lubricant for you're application and their isn't one knowledgeable person at BITOG that would dispute that.

If you wanted to help out your fellow Hyundai owners (the nervous Nellie's) you could contact Hyundai and get written confirmation that the 0W-20 is fine where a 5W-20 is specified.
You may have to go through a couple of ignorant CS rep's before you get to someone in authority who actually understands that the 0W-20 grade meets all the spec's of a 5W-20 grade and them some.
You may want to start with some Hyundai forms, as this may already have been done.

Has not been done. I'm on quite a few of them, nobody has done so.
But honestly, do you really think they'll void your claim if you use a better oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back