2011 Kia Optima

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, that is impressive looking. Kia has definitely come a long way.
thumbsup2.gif

Are the mechanicals the same as the Sonata's?

I agree that it's better looking.

Nick: I didn't know the 2011 Focus was available already.

Originally Posted By: pbm
Are the mechanicals the same as the Sonata's?

I agree that it's better looking.

Nick: I didn't know the 2011 Focus was available already.

2011 MY Focus is the same as the 2008-2010. The 2012 is the new one.

Kia, following on Hyundai's coat tails seems to be gaining in reputation. What interests me most about the Optima is the new 4 cylinder turbo GDI power plant that is also headed soon (Oct?)for the Sonata. 274hp and epa rated 22/34mpg Sounds impressive if they can also deliver on reliability. I'd still be leaning towards the Sonata, but I would like to test drive the Optima with the turbo engine to see if it's all that.

Someone I know got a Optima recently...Though the car looks nice the ride is really bad...When you go over railroad tracks [tons of nasty railroad tracks everywhere you go down here] you feel it big time...She is very sorry she got it...She did not test drive one before she bought it which was a big mistake...So far no issues with it at 5K miles...She traded in a Sonata and wishes she got another one.

I think if this car had NISSAN, HONDA, or TOYOTA on it's badges, people would be snatching them up. But, unfortunately, it has KIA on the wheels and rear.

Not "name brand enough" for most people.

I think it looks very nice and the GDI, with everything I've read on it, appears to have alot of potential.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
I like the styling of the Optima better than the Sonata.....

Agree 100%. If this thing has direct injection it would be a no deal for me.

Nice looking for the most part! I see the Sonatas all around here and just do not like them. Loved the old ones.

Bill

Just looking at the slope of the back window and trunk lid makes me wonder why they didn't just make it a 5-door like the Crosstour or X6 (without the silly SUV ride height).

Optima5.

Anybody at Kia listening?

The original Spectra's hatch was pretty handy and it didn't look like a Golf. The later Spectra5 was pretty popular. I see more Spectra5's than Focus ZXWs

Yeah, Kia listens as their sales volume over the past 6 years is looking good for a small automaker. 2010 should be a good year and with the great lineup, 2011 should easily be a record year for Kia.

The Spectra was replaced with the Forte. I think more body styles would improve the Forte sales volume. And, a Optima hatchback or station wagon would look nice. The Camry station wagon(Venza) needs some competition.

The Optima is better looking than the Hyundai Sonata.
The Sportage is better looking than the Hyundai Tucson.

I think Kia, even though a little late to the game to release new models, isn't going overboard with silly styling like some automakers are. Besides Hyundais swishy swoopy looks, Mazda's smiley face is another example of lame. And, I don't have too many positive comments on the styling of the other Asian/American subcompacts/midsized cars.

This car will do well but is battling familiar vehicles which have some heavy discounts. This, or a Camry with $4k worth of incentives, is a tough choice.

The new Optima and Sportage are headed in the right direction in terms of appearance. Both are real lookers. They could have left the fender vents off for even a better look. Forte looks nice also.

Last edited:
Kia is coming out with Forte5 to replace Spectra5:
http://www.kia.com/#/upcoming/?fvVehicleID=forte5door&fvPageID=intro

I have a 4-door Spectra and it will be replaced by Forte5 or Elantra Touring. Leaning towards Forte5.

I prefer new Optima styling over new Sonata, but it is a toss-up between new Elantra and Forte as far as I am concerned.

Bill-it will be a GDI Theta II engine, in three incarnations: GDI, Turbo GDI and Hybrid GDI.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bigmike

Not "name brand enough" for most people.

Exactly How I feel about them.
Probally not made to good either.

Originally Posted By: Troy_Built

How many Kias have you driven lately to form that opinion?

Hyundais and Kias have come a long way. Sonata has beaten Camry and Accord in several initial quality tests...people just have a hard time getting used to/accepting it.

I also prefer the Optima looks comp. to Sonata. Sonata is just too goofy and curvy for me.

Originally Posted By: Ursae_Majoris
Originally Posted By: Troy_Built

How many Kias have you driven lately to form that opinion?

I said "probally" therefore driving one does not matter to form my opinion.

You must mean "probably not made too good", not sure what "probally not made to good" means.
Uneducated English to express uneducated opinion. Got it.
33.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back