2011-up ~250hp daily driver for <$15K?

I'm currently in a 2009 Sonata with the 3.3 v6, and would like to stay around that power level for the next vehicle. I'm hoping for bluetooth for phone and music, and would like to have Apple Carplay. I'd prefer to be close to 30 MPG on the highway, so most SUVs, trucks, and vans are out. Flex fuel would be nice, though I understand it would cut down MPG.

The 2011-up 2.0T Sonata/Optima/Sportage/Santa Fe, 2013-up 2.0T Fusion/MKS/MKZ/MKC/Edge/Escape, Kia Cadenza/Hyundai Genesis, and the Buick Regal/Chevy Malibu 2.0T at the end.

I understand that the Hyundai, Ford, and GM 2.0Ts have ring, machining, or coolant intrusion problems. Hyundai will replace the engine if the problem occurs, which is a point in it's favor.

I haven't been looking at Toyota as the XV50 Camry with the 3.5 hasn't been showing up in my price range. The 9th gen 3.5 Accord is also hard to find.

Am I missing any vehicles?

My aunt has a 16' Avalon, should be around that price range now. No CarPlay though. That thing scoots pretty good for a whale, here's a vid of it.

The 9th gen 2.4L Accord has almost 200 hp which is plenty. Very easy to work on for a modern car, and the CVT is very reliable and easy to change the fluid on. And the EPA highway rating is 35 mpg, amazing for a larger car that's not a hybrid, and that number is attainable in the real world. The CVT also makes the most of the power, so it won't be as slow.

The hybrid Accord should feel more powerful given the electric motor's torque from zero rpm :)

A Camry hybrid is also a good car, too. If you want some more room, there is the Prius V.

A hybrid seems like it would be the best choice given what you are looking for, as they offer good mpg and a powerful feeling in everyday driving.

If you can live with a 2-door, the modern V6 Mustang can also get 30 mpg highway and has 300 hp :sneaky:

If the 9th gen Accord has a CVT like my Honda CR-V has, then it should have the Sport mode ( S ) on the transmission selection, be sure to put it in that S mode when you test drive it if you want to see how nice it can accelerate. In plain D drive mode it is always trying to get the best MPG, and is a real sleeper that may fool you into thinking it does not have any power or pep. Put it in S mode and it becomes a totally different vehicle capable of showing you how much get-up-and-go it really has if you just give it the gas.

Also while in sport mode, keep in mind that the 2.4 has a variable intake valve system that kicks in at 4,300 RPMs and above. So in addition to putting the trany of the CVT in S mode, that engine is made to rev and deliver power but you have to give it the gas and do not be afraid to get the RPMs above 4,300 where it will show you what it really has. Just do not take it into the red-line zone. Honda is an engine company that happens to make vehicles for the road. And they have a history of making race car engines. They know how to make an engine that runs at high RPM as smooth as a sewing machine.

The 2.4 Liter 4 banger only has 185 HP, not 250. But it can really get up and go, it is very reliable, seldom requires anything other than oil and filter, and gets great MPG.

So if you want to see an Accord with a CVT and the 2.4 perform, remember S mode and get the RPMs above 4,300

Last edited:
The 9th gen 2.4L Accord has almost 200 hp which is plenty. Very easy to work on for a modern car, and the CVT is very reliable and easy to change the fluid on. And the EPA highway rating is 35 mpg, amazing for a larger car that's not a hybrid, and that number is attainable in the real world. The CVT also makes the most of the power, so it won't be as slow.

The hybrid Accord should feel more powerful given the electric motor's torque from zero rpm :)

A Camry hybrid is also a good car, too. If you want some more room, there is the Prius V.

A hybrid seems like it would be the best choice given what you are looking for, as they offer good mpg and a powerful feeling in everyday driving.

If you can live with a 2-door, the modern V6 Mustang can also get 30 mpg highway and has 300 hp :sneaky:

2.1 mile drive to work would make the hybrid useless. I've been looking at the K24ish Accord as well.

No v6 Mustang unless it's boosted

If the 9th gen Accord has a CVT like my Honda CR-V has, then it should have the Sport mode ( S ) on the transmission selection, be sure to put it in that S mode when you test drive it if you want to see how nice it can accelerate. In plain D drive mode it is always trying to get the best MPG, and is a real sleeper that may fool you into thinking it does not have any power or pep. Put it in S mode and it becomes a totally different vehicle capable of showing you how much get-up-and-go it really has if you just give it the gas.

Also while in sport mode, keep in mind that the 2.4 has a variable intake valve system that kicks in at 4,300 RPMs and above. So in addition to putting the trany of the CVT in S mode, that engine is made to rev and deliver power but you have to give it the gas and do not be afraid to get the RPMs above 4,300 where it will show you what it really has. Just do not take it into the red-line zone. Honda is an engine company that happens to make vehicles for the road. And they have a history of making race car engines. They know how to make an engine that runs at high RPM as smooth as a sewing machine.

So if you want to see an Accord with a CVT and the 2.4 perform, remember S mode and get the RPMs above 4,300

Does the 2.4 have a timing belt or chain?

A 2012+ Dodge Charger or Chrysler 300 with the V6 Pentastar and 8 speed transmission gets great highway fuel economy, makes 292-300HP, and is available with an amazing AWD system if you want it. The 8.4” Uconnect is also great and so easy to use.

Inb4 “they’re not reliable!” Mine was fine, my brothers is still fine, and I’d buy another in a heart beat.

Some of the years of Honda had a bad design of the heater core with a lining that came off and clogged it. There is a fix using a big bucket of hot CRL pumped through the heater core for 4 to 6 hours, that does fix that problem without removing or replacing the heater core. I do not remember what years and models. If you get a dealer to fix this it is expensive because of the number of hours involved.

Also there were some years of Honda that had a bad design of some components in the AC. I think some years had bad compressors. And some years had a bad plastic screen and or orifice that the plastic deteriorated and contaminated the system. I do not remember what years and what models, but a contaminated AC system requires total replacement, because it get into every part of every section. Not cheap in parts, and also a lot of labor.

Subaru also had some bad years for AC that were known for breaking year after year and each fix was very expensive.

Changing CVT fluid on a Honda is very simple to do, it should be done every 30 K miles. So is the rear end fluid if it is an AWD, that should be done every 15 K miles. ONLY USE HONDA FLUIDS. NEVER ANY OTHER BRAND. There are plenty of YouTube videos on how to do them. You can get the fluids at lower price than a dealer from online Honda part stores.

Last edited:
Does the 2.4 have a timing belt or chain?
Chain, but they speck that you should adjust the valves at 105 K miles. But it is safer to check and adjust every 60 K miles. The 2.4 has solid lifters, and as they miles rack up the exhaust tends to reduce the valve gap. It it ever gets to tight there is a danger of burning an exhaust valve. So it is best to check them and adjust if necessary early.

The intake have a tendency to have the gap get bigger with use and if it gets too big it can reduce HP.

One thing to keep in mind is that the variable intake valve system uses the engine oil to move the hydraulic system that performs this little trick. And that system has little screens in it that can clog if you run the oil longer than you should. So regular oil changes are not only good for the pistons, cylinder, crank, and cam, but you do not want to have to tear it down to clean those screens. Normally they are never a problem. But people who think they can never change the oil and only keep adding if it ever gets low are asking for a problem.

Last edited:
Suggest you read this before buying a Hyundai or Kia. Seems they're not very good at dealing with failed engines even under warranty. Might be better in the USA but why take a chance on vehicles with engine problems. Just my opinion of course, and I really like to drive Hyundai's too.

My niece has a 2009 Sonata with 86 K miles on it. About a year ago, the knock sensor failed and put it in a mode that totaled the whole engine. Hyundai replaced the entire engine under warranty, no problems.

Last edited:
Also for the Accord, remember that the higher end models will be quiet, compared to the lower end models.

My bad back can not handle the bumpy ride of an Accord, or may other vehicles for that matter. The bigger tires and suspension of my CR-V absorbs bumps in the road nicer for my back.

Changing CVT fluid on a Honda is very simple to do, it should be done every 30 K miles. So is the rear end fluid if it is an AWD, that should be done every 15 K miles. ONLY USE HONDA FLUIDS. NEVER ANY OTHER BRAND. There are plenty of YouTube videos on how to do them. You can get the fluids at lower price than a dealer from online Honda part stores.

You can use aftermarket CVT fluid with no problem. I used Autozone brand (made by Amalie), and there is nothing wrong with it.

There is no AWD Accord AFAIK

I am glad Honda doesn't push the stupid "lifetime fill" myth :)

The flat 6 Legacy maybe gets into that price range? The Outback also had a flat 6 available but they will be more money. The Cadillac ATS also gets that cheap, and I think in 2015 the 2.0 became pretty reliable. My favorite is the 128i, but I'd be happy in that without a radio at all.

I did not know in general the Accord is not available in AWD.

Honda did make an Accord Crosstour from 2009 for the 2010 model year, to 2015. It was a 5 door with the 2.4 Liter 4 cylinder with a 5 speed automatic 2009 to 2012 or 6 speed automatic 2013 to 2015 ), or ( 3.5 Liter V 6 only in 2010 and 2011, that put out 278 HP at 6,200 RPMs ). Some years some models were available with AWD.

I did not know in general the Accord is not available in AWD.

Honda did make an Accord Crosstour from 2009 for the 2010 model year, to 2015. It was a 5 door with the 2.4 Liter 4 cylinder with a 5 speed automatic 2009 to 2012 or 6 speed automatic 2013 to 2015 ), or ( 3.5 Liter V 6 only in 2010 and 2011, that put out 278 HP at 6,200 RPMs ). Some years some models were available with AWD.

Oh yeah, I forgot about the Crosstour :D :oops:

Yeah, they called it Accord Crosstour for the first year, then dropped the Accord part and just called it Crosstour for the rest of the run.

Man I swear, I really do wonder how many people on BITOG ever buy a car with their huge list of demands and immediate disqualifications.

While you might not get 250hp, there are a lot of good solid choices in the 2011+ <$15k ballpark.

Back