Picked up a... Kia Optima SXL 2.0T

Status
Not open for further replies.
Helllllo BITOGERS... Hope everyone is having a good December! me on the other hand.. i no longer own the body on frame, 4.6LV8, RWD (Crownvictoria/grand marquis) I NEVER thought i would say i own a kia, but that time has come...
This time its a late CPO 2013 Optima SXL 2.0T With the Technology & Touring PKGS. About 30K miles, one owner, 6 Speed auto with paddles, 18 inch Wheels, 12.6 inch brakes..
This thing i gotta say is pretty unreal in terms of design and features. I know its not a sports sedan, but its pretty close. it drives really well, unlike anything i've owned. (mostly american) The 274HP @ 6,000 and 269LBS Tq @1600-4200 Rpms really move this car nicely with out too much fuss. I get a little wheel spin @ wot around 3700 Rpms, but im sure thats due to the tires, not the pure power haha.
The Interior looks to be a class above with amazing fit to finish. Alot of soft touch materials, amazing Nappa leather seats, good tech, and simple to use. The infinity Sound system is 550 Watts with 12 speakers in 8 locations.. its very clear, the bass has an amazing punch with no rattles, and its loud... the music sounds, "warm" and "welcoming" Heated and cooled seats work as expected, as does just about everything else on the car.. Now it does have just a couple nit picky things that i can live with, and that is, Even in sports mode, using the paddle shifter the car will not allow you to take it to the red line in 1st or 2nd.. Start to push it a little too much, and the tires will let you know. no real exhaust sound... or intake sound for that matter...

Now i have a TON of maintenance questions, hyundai/kia says basically, use regular oil, regular gas, never service you transmission or any other fluid for that matter. Now that goes against everything i know about cars. LOL. I know fluids break down and need to be changed. Synthetic oil for Turbo cars, Premium Fuel for Turbo cars.. I need this car to last, not intill the warranty is up. and that seems to be all HMA & KIA care about, nothing after.
So i plan on to use Synthetic 5W30 with one QT of 5W40, Kia oil filters because they said they will DENY my warranty if i do not use oem, (such [censored] by the way)
Change the transmission fluid with OEM kia transmission fluid
Change SparkPlugs with OEM premium plugs
But most likely ill start a new thread in regards to the maintenance.
Now time for a couple of [censored] dealer photos... i'll post some real ones up once we get a nice day. Do we have any other Optima owners in this forum? Thanks for reading, if you have any questions please ask.

• Seating Capacity (Std/Max) 5/5 Rear Legroom 34.7 inches Length 190.7 inches Curb Weight 3385 lbs. Height 57.3 inches Cargo Capacity (Std/Max) 15.40 cu.ft. -Wheelbase 110.0 inches -Front Headroom 40.0 inches Rear Headroom 37.60 inches Front Shoulder Room 57.30 inches Rear Shoulder Room 55.70 inches Fuel Capacity 18.5 Front Legroom 45.5 inches Seating Capacity (Std/Max)
  • Engine Name Engine: 4-Cyl, Turbo, 2.0 Liter Torque 269 Engine Type Turbo Gas Torque (rpm) 4500 Number of Cylinders 4 Fuel Delivery Type Direct Injection Cylinder Config Transmission Name Transmission, 6 Speed Automatic w/Sportmatic Size (cc) 2000 Transmission Type Automatic Fuel Type Unleaded Regular Speeds 6 Horsepower 274 City MPG 22 Horsepower (rpm) 6000 Highway MPG 34
    optima_zpsedxba7tq.jpg

optima%201_zpsi7wasejm.jpg

optima%202_zpsu2h7xtq8.jpg

Great car! Congrats. I love the Hyundai/KIA 2.0T. Ours runs just fine on 87, 89 or 93 octane. Any major brand synthetic 5w30 or Xw40 will do the trick. I've even run Mobil Delvac 15w40 for one oci.

The oil filter needing to be oem or your warranty will be voided is ridiculous and false.

Enjoy the ride!

Use ANY 5w40 year round. Don't mix grades.

Oil filter can be ANY brand's PN recommended for your vehicle. Kia can not deny a warranty because of your filter. They can if you run out of oil, don't change the oil, don't keep receipts, don't have maintenance logs...

Hyundai/Kia are finally owning up to their poorly manufactured engines with the ongoing 2.0T/2.4GDI recall.

The transmission will work fine with any LV multivehicle fluid. I've flushed several with Maxlife and Amsoil. I don't care for the OE fluid.

I will say that the Optima is better looking than its twin Sonata.

Nice Sharp Ride !

your trans fluid may share something with Hyundai SP-IV... (hint hint)
also OEM oil filters.... or chat the part guy into the multi-pack discount...

also since you (kind of) complained about tires, do you plan some new shoes for the lady (i supposed it's a she?)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SL2
I know its not a sports sedan, but its pretty close.

Anything is a sports sedan compared to a Vic'.

Congratulations on your new-to-you Kia. Drive it in good health! I'd be surprised if it needs spark plugs already. Are they not longer-lasting iridium plugs?

I test drove an Optima before I purchased my new Camry. I liked it a lot except for a little steering wonder on the highway and the dealer was slimy and my Toyotas have been good to me. Beautiful car, the Optima. Guy at my work has 5 Hyundai Sonatas. One engine "seized" so make sure you do what needs to be done.

Hyundai and Kia are built very very well they are like what Toyota and Honda used to be when they were great cars.. Good luck with it

Looks nice man. The performance from that and Malibu are almost identical.

Seems like the 2.0 in my Malibu sits more centered. Maybe it is just your photo.

i plan on to use ... Kia oil filters because they said they will DENY my warranty if i do not use oem,

Get that in writing and then ask for your free oil filters.

Magnason Moss

US Code - Title 15, Chapter 50, Section 2302, Article C states:
“No warrantor of a consumer product may condition his written or implied warranty of such product on the consumer’s using, in
connection with such product, any article or service (other than article or service provided without charge under the terms of the
warranty) which is identified by brand, trade, or corporate name…”

Last edited:
With that mileage, the transmission fluid is easy to start a drain and fill regiment. ML ATF works great in there trannys from what I have noticed. I have the same tranny in my 2012 Hyundai Tucson.

Originally Posted By: asand1

i plan on to use ... Kia oil filters because they said they will DENY my warranty if i do not use oem,

Get that in writing and then ask for your free oil filters.

Magnason Moss

US Code - Title 15, Chapter 50, Section 2302, Article C states:
“No warrantor of a consumer product may condition his written or implied warranty of such product on the consumer’s using, in
connection with such product, any article or service (other than article or service provided without charge under the terms of the
warranty) which is identified by brand, trade, or corporate name…”

Independent of the Magnasson-Moss Act, I would use the OEM H/K oil filters just because they're very good quality...they're certainly better filters than the Wix filters I used on my Mazda. The OEM is pretty much the same price at my local Hyundai dealer as the quality filters at the auto stores...plus you can typically buy them in quantity for cheaper either over the net or working a deal with the parts manager.

I get a little wheel spin @ wot around 3700 Rpms, but im sure thats due to the tires, not the pure power haha.

Even in sports mode, using the paddle shifter the car will not allow you to take it to the red line in 1st or 2nd.. Start to push it a little too much, and the tires will let you know. no real exhaust sound... or intake sound for that matter...

Hmmm, hope this didn't have anything to do with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back